Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wooglin
There's only a few things you can count on in life:

Death, taxes, and every Chick-Fil-A being closed on Sundays.
Interesting read on why Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...days-explained

Could these pop-up shops be temporary concessions while the replacement for Panini's is being built?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Regarding the Panini's area that is under construction, the CLE social media people think it's cute to keep us in suspense.

"Today is the last day for Panini's here at CLE, but we have something new and exciting planned! What do you think is going in next?"

and then links to an instagram with a bunch of random comments.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
When I walked past the former Panini's on Monday, I thought I heard the words "bar symon" from someone on the site.

Last edited by 50Kthehardway; Mar 1, 2017 at 7:58 am Reason: increased anonymity for rumor source
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
When I walked past the former Panini's on Monday, I thought I heard the words "bar symon" from someone on the site.
I heard the same; I think it has been posted on another site that this is what is going in. At least a local place isn't being replaced by a non-local chain.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Panini's Replacement

You guys are correct, that Bar Symon place is going to replace the Panini's. Looks like it might be a pretty wide restaurant as well.

I would embed the post on here, but I have no idea how to do so

Last edited by oscar555; Mar 1, 2017 at 6:34 pm Reason: Link added
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:46 pm

Misc. observations from CLE this afternoon:
  • C2 jetway is now attached, but no other sign of which airline will use it (presumably AA)
  • Half of gate C4 is a temporary Brew Kettle bar; jetBlue has been using the remaining part of C4 for week or two, as the jetway at C6 has been broken
  • The pop-up Chick-Fil-A stand at C5 is also temporary (until Bar Symon is completed)
  • United has given up two additional gates (C10 & C14). Both gate podiums had been stripped of UA markings (including classy blue duct tape covering the UA name on the stands near the doors), although C10 still had a portable UA scanner-thingy in place. Wonder if they're still paying rent to the city.
Attached Images      

Last edited by guy44134; Mar 5, 2017 at 7:19 pm
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by guy44134
I have pics of all these things, but have no idea how to embed them here.
Detailed instructions are in the first post in the following thread:
Posting a picture / image; how to add or embed an image in a post

(Scroll down to "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post")
If you're trying to add images to an existing post, select "Go Advanced" after clicking on the "Edit" button.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Detailed instructions are in the first post in the following thread:
Posting a picture / image; how to add or embed an image in a post

(Scroll down to "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post")
If you're trying to add images to an existing post, select "Go Advanced" after clicking on the "Edit" button.
Thanks for the instructions; it worked!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the instructions; it worked!
My pleasure.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: AA US
jetBlue has been using the remaining part of C4 for week or two, as the jetway at C6 has been broken
Basic question: Who is responsible for maintenance of the jetways? The airline or the airport?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Misc. observations from CLE this afternoon:
  • United has given up two additional gates (C10 & C14). Both gate podiums had been stripped of UA markings (including classy blue duct tape covering the UA name on the stands near the doors), although C10 still had a portable UA scanner-thingy in place. Wonder if they're still paying rent to the city.
Ha! I love the "classy blue duct tape"! Keeping it professional.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA US
United has given up two additional gates (C10 & C14) ... Wonder if they're still paying rent to the city.
If they're not, CLE must have a customer for them.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by RobS
Basic question: Who is responsible for maintenance of the jetways? The airline or the airport?
At most US airports, jet bridges - Jetway is a registered trademark - are owned and maintained by the airlines using them. However, jet bridges at common-use gates are more likely to be owned and maintained by the airports.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
At most US airports, jet bridges - Jetway is a registered trademark - are owned and maintained by the airlines using them. However, jet bridges at common-use gates are more likely to be owned and maintained by the airports.
However, that's not universally true -- IIRC, in Cleveland, even though UA owns the jet bridges on its gates at C (as far as I can tell) on more than one occasion we've been stuck on the ramp "waiting for someone from the City to fix the jetway"

In SFO, on UA's new exclusive use gates (in the 60s IIRC), I almost misconnected to SYD because "The jetway's stuck and operations can't get anyone from the city to answer the phone" (They wound up pulling us around the corner to another gate that had just opened, and my fiancée and I ran for our lives to the International Terminal where we were the last people to board and I spent the first 18,000 feet panting and chugging water)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
However, that's not universally true -- IIRC, in Cleveland, even though UA owns the jet bridges on its gates at C (as far as I can tell) on more than one occasion we've been stuck on the ramp "waiting for someone from the City to fix the jetway"

In SFO, on UA's new exclusive use gates (in the 60s IIRC), I almost misconnected to SYD because "The jetway's stuck and operations can't get anyone from the city to answer the phone" (They wound up pulling us around the corner to another gate that had just opened, and my fiancée and I ran for our lives to the International Terminal where we were the last people to board and I spent the first 18,000 feet panting and chugging water)
UA i believe maintains their jetbridges at CLE, we threw around the idea of having them maintain ours a year or two ago to minimize the downtime for a broken jetbridge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.