Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by Wooglin
$40 for the Big Front Seat is good- Was that $40 above "general boarding"?

Or $40 above "General Boarding plus a Carry-on?"
$89 for the one way "Bare Fare"
+ $40 for Big Front Seat
+ $10 for Group 2 boarding

I had a backpack w/laptop as a "personal item" so no extra charge for that.
I didn't check any luggage.

I chose Spirit since UA doesn't start nonstop service CLE-RSW until Dec 15, I didn't want a 6-8 hour ordeal through ORD/EWR/IAH and their fares are $400+ (and slim to no chance of a F upgrade through the hubs, UA flying RJ145's and CRJ700s on CLE-IAH - 3 hours on those planes, seriously??)

Last edited by paule123; Dec 12, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by paule123
$89 for the one way "Bare Fare"
+ $40 for Big Front Seat
+ $10 for Group 2 boarding

I had a backpack w/laptop as a "personal item" so no extra charge for that.
I didn't check any luggage.

I chose Spirit since UA doesn't start nonstop service CLE-RSW until Dec 15, I didn't want a 6-8 hour ordeal through ORD/EWR/IAH and their fares are $400+ (and slim to no chance of a F upgrade through the hubs, UA flying RJ145's and CRJ700s on CLE-IAH - 3 hours on those planes, seriously??)
Blame ExpressJet's maintenance base at CLE for the RJ145 on CLE-IAH. Now that we aren't a hub, those planes need to rotate into the "profitable" hubs. I've flown Delta my last 3 trips (and have another trip booked on them) because (1) everything is either mainline or CRJ900 (2) ATL and DTW are so much better to connect in than ORD, although my next trip is through MSP which will be my first time connecting through there.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by VetteElite
Blame ExpressJet's maintenance base at CLE for the RJ145 on CLE-IAH. Now that we aren't a hub, those planes need to rotate into the "profitable" hubs. I've flown Delta my last 3 trips (and have another trip booked on them) because (1) everything is either mainline or CRJ900 (2) ATL and DTW are so much better to connect in than ORD, although my next trip is through MSP which will be my first time connecting through there.
That RJ145 IAH-CLE sucks... I've taken DFW-DEN-CLE with a 2h layover over the 45m turnaround of DFW-IAH-CLE just to avoid 3h22m on that damned plane.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
That RJ145 IAH-CLE sucks... I've taken DFW-DEN-CLE with a 2h layover over the 45m turnaround of DFW-IAH-CLE just to avoid 3h22m on that damned plane.
The 145 is a great (maybe stretching a bit) plane for a short hop -- while I prefer mainline or a 175 if I can get it, I don't really think twice on for CLE-ORD/EWR/LGA/IAD -- especially in Row 18.

But like you, I will not willingly put myself on a 145 over about 1:30 block time if there is any alternative whatsoever, and certainly not CLE-IAH... But it's generally gotten so hard (expensive and/or illogical in the face of other options) to connect through IAH from CLE for the places I want/need to go that it's kind of moot.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
I do IAH-->CLE many times - UA/Expressjet is aware that this is a long route on that kind of aircraft and it seems to me that the F/A on the route always seems to be extra nice (full cans of soda, multiple snacks). Of course, this could just be my experiences.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I paid the 50 dollar bag charge for a carry on for my last flight. Did you notice no one for the most part checks your ticket to see if you paid for bags. It is usually to busy.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Looks like they are using 737-800's for FLL and RSW and MCO upgraded back to a 900. Just a observation pretty neet they are still investing in these routes from a non hub even with completion from other airlines. United does have a long history with service from CLE to Florida with the sunbird flights way back 50 years ago to MIA and TPA. Surprised they don't have a TPA flight too.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I paid the 50 dollar bag charge for a carry on for my last flight. Did you notice no one for the most part checks your ticket to see if you paid for bags. It is usually to busy.
Yeah, the gate agents for Spirit were scanning boarding passes pretty quickly, didn't seem to be looking too closely. It was nice to see the people in front of me with standard 20" rollaboards instead of the ridiculously large "carry ons" I see people lugging on board UA.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA
So UA has a seemingly revenue flight CLE to PHX tonight (UA 1489). Anyone know more about this flight?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
So UA has a seemingly revenue flight CLE to PHX tonight (UA 1489). Anyone know more about this flight?
Looks like Y is completely sold out (a handful of E+ seats are open [7BCF, 10AE, 11CD, 12ABEF, 14BE, 15B, 20BCDEF, 21BDEF to be specific] but no fare is offered; F appears to be nearly full with one seat available at $1124)

I know in the past UA has shown up with one-offs around the holidays, but I don't recall seeing this one mentioned before...
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:02 pm

Could it possibly be to get OSU fans to the Fiesta Bowl tomorrow?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by guy44134
Could it possibly be to get OSU fans to the Fiesta Bowl tomorrow?
Possibly, looks like there's a NS PHX-CLE in UA1683 on 1/1 (departs at 9:45am, arrives at 3:10pm). I can't get it to show up on united.com but ITA is showing it (Flight aware is also showing UA1200 as a redeye PHX-CLE tonight)

Also, just noticed that tonight's CLE-PHX departs at EXACTLY the same time as F9 (F91867) but scheduled to arrive 1 minute later.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA
Given the timing and destination, Fiesta Bowl and OSU travel seems likely. Good to see a response by UA to demand in CLE albeit for a bowl game. Would they/do they regularly do this at other non-hub locations or is CLE still considered a focus city by UA?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:09 pm

Given the timing and destination, Fiesta Bowl and OSU travel seems likely. Good to see a response by UA to demand in CLE albeit for a bowl game. Would they/do they regularly do this at other non-hub locations or is CLE still considered a focus city by UA?
Was indeed a one off for the Fiesta Bowl.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
WN leaving CAK all together. ATL flights will move to CLE and Adding another frequency to STL. June 4, finally will need the extra gate they added a few months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.