Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by ginoa724
There was a lot of argument that Wow wouldn't serve a market like Cleveland over PHL or ORD because it wasn't "touristy" enough. Have they seen PHL?
Also, CLE has had direct EU service during the CO-era, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think it would work again. Even PIT has a seasonal daily CDG flight...

^
Iceland is touristy enough for midwesterners to happily pay 400-900 rt for direct flights to europe with a stopover. The other thing is last minute fares from cle to Europe tend to be crazy expensive, also for one ways. I know some people that have gone up to yyz or bwi to fly on WOW bc a last minute ticket saved them $500+ for a one way. If you're going to fly coach anyhow, I'd think it would be the way to go (or to Iceland, I'd take the direct sans J class over a connection any day).

Bolding
below are routes without 1-stop service from any airport in Ohio. It seems likely their network will only grow in the near term.

Alicante, Amsterdam, Berlin–Schönefeld, Bristol, Copenhagen, Dublin, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Gran Canaria, London–Gatwick, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Stockholm-Arlanda

Seasonal: Barcelona, Düsseldorf, Lyon, Milan–Malpensa, Nice,[28] Rome–Fiumicino, Salzburg, Västerås, Tenerife–South, Vilnius, Warsaw–Chopin
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
Iceland is touristy enough for midwesterners to happily pay 400-900 rt for direct flights to europe with a stopover. The other thing is last minute fares from cle to Europe tend to be crazy expensive, also for one ways. I know some people that have gone up to yyz or bwi to fly on WOW bc a last minute ticket saved them $500+ for a one way. If you're going to fly coach anyhow, I'd think it would be the way to go (or to Iceland, I'd take the direct sans J class over a connection any day).
I think the argument was more about European/Icelandic tourists coming to the US wouldn't necessarily choose CLE over other US cities like PHL or CHI, although with the astounding number of championships in 1 year, that may change

I 100% agree with you that there would be enough of a market to substantiate at least a seasonal flight, 3 or 4X/week, if not more.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:00 pm

Valid, however you only would NEED traffic both ways the first 1-2 weeks of the season to cle, and the last 1-2 two weeks of the season to REK, the rest of the time can be all from one side. These are the times WOW offers $99 one way fares for the flights with probable light loads. There are not enough people in iceland to sustain any of wow's network to the usa, people connecting from europe would probably welcome the cheap option to cleveland, not necessarily for "tourism", but rather for visiting friends and family, or students traveling one (or both) way (s) for study abroad. The 321LR is about to change things up a bit, hope they connect at least some of the world with CLE.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
There's a Sun Country aircraft on its way to Cleveland this morning, then off to ORD. Charter?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8650
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:16 pm

Saw a united 747 on tuesday at cle, must have been the cubs?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Tuesday morning. C seemed to be the only open Pre-Check.

Arrived around 5:30a and headed first to B security. Nice big Pre-Check signs and a Pre-Check lane that went absolutely nowhere, except the end of the regular security line with about 100 people in line. LOL. Walked to go over the C, where the Pre-Check lane had just opened. I was the 4th or 5th person and was in and out in no time.

Strange to see all the empty gates on the west side of C concourse, and missing jet bridges. Going Places? LOL, not from those gates.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Tuesday morning. C seemed to be the only open Pre-Check.

Arrived around 5:30a and headed first to B security. Nice big Pre-Check signs and a Pre-Check lane that went absolutely nowhere, except the end of the regular security line with about 100 people in line. LOL. Walked to go over the C, where the Pre-Check lane had just opened. I was the 4th or 5th person and was in and out in no time.

Strange to see all the empty gates on the west side of C concourse, and missing jet bridges. Going Places? LOL, not from those gates.
If you were at B security that wasn't a "regular security line" -- that was the precheck line (B is pre-check only/no regular screening available) and 50-100 people isn't at all uncommon. As I've said upthread one of the many "improvements" to the passenger experience that came with the pointless renovation.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
If you were at B security that wasn't a "regular security line" -- that was the precheck line (B is pre-check only/no regular screening available) and 50-100 people isn't at all uncommon. As I've said upthread one of the many "improvements" to the passenger experience that came with the pointless renovation.
Wow, really? I figured that there was no way that could be Pre-Check. I've never seen that many people in a Pre-Check line anywhere.

And pointless renovation indeed. Didn't look much different to me from the pre-reno days.
I'm guessing that someone's politically connected construction friends did OK though.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Wow, really? I figured that there was no way that could be Pre-Check. I've never seen that many people in a Pre-Check line anywhere.

And pointless renovation indeed. Didn't look much different to me from the pre-reno days.
I'm guessing that someone's politically connected construction friends did OK though.
Yeah... I knew things were done with no consideration to the passenger experience but it really hit home when I flew CLE-SFO a couple months ago and had a 25 minute wait in the pre-check line at CLE, but on the way back, I had one person in front of me and about a 12 second wait at SFO's precheck.

As much as I want CLE to be the gleaming metropolis, let's face it, CLE and SFO aren't even in the same universe as far as passenger counts go...so in what rational way should the SFO pre-check experience be faster/less crowded?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Yeah... I knew things were done with no consideration to the passenger experience but it really hit home when I flew CLE-SFO a couple months ago and had a 25 minute wait in the pre-check line at CLE, but on the way back, I had one person in front of me and about a 12 second wait at SFO's precheck.

As much as I want CLE to be the gleaming metropolis, let's face it, CLE and SFO aren't even in the same universe as far as passenger counts go...so in what rational way should the SFO pre-check experience be faster/less crowded?
Agree 100%. I think I mentioned upthread as well, but to add that I've now waited less for Pre in ORD, SFO, PDX, SEA, LAX, AUS, MCO, and TPA in the past two months...

I do not disagree that the ticket lobby looks very nice, but I can't find one other reason the renovation was a good use of $$. The areas where pax spend the most time (concourses) were not touched.

CLE needs to get it's act together.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Frontier Airlines cuts service from Cleveland to seven cities during fall, winter
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AA US
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I do not disagree that the ticket lobby looks very nice, but I can't find one other reason the renovation was a good use of $$. The areas where pax spend the most time (concourses) were not touched.
It was a vanity project - some cosmetic buff ups to impress the Republican conventioneers.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Aw hell, RDU is one of them.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
More on the awful Pre Check at B. Thursday (10/27) around 10:30. Pre Check at C was closed, so I trekked down to B. The holding area was completely full of people. I trekked back to C. Two non Pre lanes open, no one there. I had to take off my shoes and find my liquids, but it was quick.

My guess is that if Pre at C were open all the time, it would be backed up a lot.

Anyway, they really need to fix this. It is outrageous to wait 10 minutes or more in the Pre line (which I've done in the early morning when lines at non Pre have been longer).
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by RobS
It was a vanity project - some cosmetic buff ups to impress the Republican conventioneers.
This is not exactly true. There were a lot of behind the scenes work that needed to be done in the 40 year old terminal building including HVAC, electrical, lighting, etc. So they combined it with a much-needed refresh. The total costs were actually pretty puny compared to most airport construction projects elsewhere. Agreed that the functionality of the terminal has not been improved much at all.

Last edited by guy44134; Nov 2, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.