Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:30 pm

Not much of an update on WOW Air, it sounds like it was them throwing the feelers out and trying to get an idea of costs to serve CLE and what not. If I hear anything else i'll update the thread.

On another note SWA kept the double daily PHX and cut the 3rd PHX nonstop on Saturday on this latest schedule extension.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by 737MAX
Not much of an update on WOW Air, it sounds like it was them throwing the feelers out and trying to get an idea of costs to serve CLE and what not. If I hear anything else i'll update the thread.

On another note SWA kept the double daily PHX and cut the 3rd PHX nonstop on Saturday on this latest schedule extension.
Where are you getting this info about WOW Air and potential CLE service?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by oscar555
Where are you getting this info about WOW Air and potential CLE service?
Someone from one of the ground handling companies who submitted a bid.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:32 pm

Not directly related to CLE but WOW Air announced year round PIT-KEF service 4x weekly starting June 17th. Would it make sense to serve CLE and PIT? Really hoping this doesn't affect our chances of WOW coming in.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Not directly related to CLE but WOW Air announced year round PIT-KEF service 4x weekly starting June 17th today, maybe CLE service isn't far behind.

I'll admit that I haven't been paying a ton of attention to WOW and their business model, but is there really enough Icelandic travel to warrant service to two cities ~3 hours apart? The skeptical side of me says PIT beat out CLE for the greater rustbelt market.

(But my eggs are already so far in the United basket that I could be way off in left field)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I'll admit that I haven't been paying a ton of attention to WOW and their business model, but is there really enough Icelandic travel to warrant service to two cities ~3 hours apart? The skeptical side of me says PIT beat out CLE for the greater rustbelt market.

(But my eggs are already so far in the United basket that I could be way off in left field)
After i posted that I immediately changed my mind thinking this wouldn't be good for CLE. I'm with you on this one.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:09 am

My apologies if this has been discussed previously. I cannot find any Spirit airlines
fares from DFW to CLE (or vice versa) after Nov 12th (trying to book Christmas). Spirit replied to an email I sent in September saying flights would be posted soon, but nothing. Customer service was no help by phone today. Anyone??
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by texasflyer123
My apologies if this has been discussed previously. I cannot find any Spirit airlines
fares from DFW to CLE (or vice versa) after Nov 12th (trying to book Christmas). Spirit replied to an email I sent in September saying flights would be posted soon, but nothing. Customer service was no help by phone today. Anyone??
If my memory serves me right, I believe that Spirit cut the CLE-DFW flight or at least made it seasonal. I know some people that do ground ops for Spirit at CLE and they have always told me that the CLE-DFW flight has been pretty bare.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 4:18 pm

PIT snagged another international route this week as Condor announced 2x weekly service to FRA. CLE can't even get a seasonal transatlantic flight yet PIT has KEF, FRA and CDG now.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
If CAK continues to experience a slackening of its service, those people are going to go to PIT instead of CLE to "go places." I'd believe that it is Cleveland's joke of a situation when it comes to our Federal Inspection Station. It's sad, really. I hope that changes in the future; the city has much to offer and as long as the economic conditions stay the same or improve, jobs will increase, and demand may as well. Here's to hoping, anyway.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:15 pm

Well in a strange turn of events I'm hearing WOW Air may still be in play at CLE.

Last edited by 737MAX; Nov 13, 2016 at 8:02 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
PIT snagged another international route this week as Condor announced 2x weekly service to FRA. CLE can't even get a seasonal transatlantic flight yet PIT has KEF, FRA and CDG now.
PIT is throwing more money at them in subsidies. Maybe it's just me, but spending close to $1MM in tax dollars for a seasonal summer service to Iceland doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The airline doesn't get great reviews.

Pittsburgh, however, appears to have deeper pockets. The airport is paying WOW $800,000 over two years to subsidize the new service; Condor is getting $500,000.

The money for the subsidies is coming from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.

Cleveland Hopkins, meanwhile, offered WOW up to $400,000 for marketing support, to be used over three years.

Todd Payne, chief of marketing and air service development at Hopkins, said he told WOW that Cleveland could possibly increase its subsidy, but didn't hear back after conversations several months ago.
http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...es_out_to.html
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
PIT is throwing more money at them in subsidies. Maybe it's just me, but spending close to $1MM in tax dollars for a seasonal summer service to Iceland doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The airline doesn't get great reviews.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...es_out_to.html
Iceland is year round.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:12 am

Concourse D

Check out this silly story from Channel 3 news. Must have been a slow news day! This situation isn't terribly hard to understand and there's nothing sinister going on (from either UA or CLE's part) as the story kind of implies. Until there is airline demand for D, the city is smart to rake in $1 million/month from UA.

http://www.wkyc.com/money/business/a...ions/351754256
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guy44134
Check out this silly story from Channel 3 news. Must have been a slow news day! This situation isn't terribly hard to understand and there's nothing sinister going on (from either UA or CLE's part) as the story kind of implies. Until there is airline demand for D, the city is smart to rake in $1 million/month from UA.

http://www.wkyc.com/money/business/a...ions/351754256
What a generally terrible and skewed piece of reporting. (I love the presumption that United is trying to get out of the lease agreement and/or that the city has a right to terminate it -- and that it would be a sensible financial move for the airport to forgo guaranteed revenue and/or shoulder the operating costs to open a few inconvenient gates that may or may not attract use (it seems like CLE has plenty of underutilized or just plane unutilized gates as it is...)

I love the comment at the end of the story that "Cleveland is unique in that the airport is run by the city..."

What kind of idiot gave that sound bite? ... I'd say that virtually all airports in the US are run by a city or political subdivision (Los Angeles World Airports, San Francisco International Airport "a department of the City of San Francisco", Houston Airport System "a department of the City of Houston", Denver International Airport "Owned and operated by the City and County of Denver", Miami International Airport, owned by the "Miami-Dade Aviation Department of Miami-Dade County"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.