Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by oscar555
True. UA still has signage and some of their stuff at gates that they gave up. All they would need to do is put signs up and move a computer over to the new gate.
No UA signage left at the odd-numbered low gates on C and no jetways. Just CLE branding.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Spirit cancelling route?

A look via Spirit Airline's website revealed that they are not flying between CLE and DFW after November 10. The flight seemed mostly full most of the times I noticed; and it was definitely nice to have an alternative to AA once UA dropped the route. I wonder why Spirit is dropping it; I hope it is because another carrier is either adding or restoring service. If not, I can see that price for this city pair going up.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
It's leaving as UA2244, CLE-MHR, at 11:30am from D2.
Think I'll be able to get to D2 to take some pics if I head out there now?
That would be great!! I have been offline for a couple of days, but now I hear that UA is using D again?? Maybe it's only b/c of the RNC, but it's still something. I can't believe that they fit a 747 at D as well.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
A look via Spirit Airline's website revealed that they are not flying between CLE and DFW after November 10. The flight seemed mostly full most of the times I noticed; and it was definitely nice to have an alternative to AA once UA dropped the route. I wonder why Spirit is dropping it; I hope it is because another carrier is either adding or restoring service. If not, I can see that price for this city pair going up.
On what part of their website did you see that? I know some people who work the ramp at CLE and they have told me that DFW loads haven't been the best lately. On 1 flight, only 10 bags were unloaded.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:22 pm

That would be great!! I have been offline for a couple of days, but now I hear that UA is using D again?? Maybe it's only b/c of the RNC, but it's still something. I can't believe that they fit a 747 at D as well.
UA just used the ramp at D2 and the 300 CHP officers flying back to California after the RNC were bused to the plane in school busses. Unfortunately, they are not using concourse D.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by guy44134
UA just used the ramp at D2 and the 300 CHP officers flying back to California after the RNC were bused to the plane in school busses. Unfortunately, they are not using concourse D.
Ah, that sucks. I was looking forward to some new pictures of D. I'm surprised they didn't park the 747 on a pad. Maybe having it at D2 was better.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:27 pm

I actually saw the 747 taxiing to the runway for departure. I was heading to the west side, so I took the long way (480) hoping to see it. It was perfect timing, but unfortunately no pictures.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:11 am

On what part of their website did you see that? I know some people who work the ramp at CLE and they have told me that DFW loads haven't been the best lately. On 1 flight, only 10 bags were unloaded.
It was via their booking engine. Looking for a flight on November 20. Plus, Spirit flights don't show up on Hipmunk, Google Flights, etc.

I know American dropped their cost on one of their 4 nonstops to match or beat Spirit. I'm sure that resulted in their lower loads. It's a shame, really... back when United was still flying that nonstop route, they were the lowest price, but it was at least twice as much as what it is now for a nonstop. AA was outrageously priced at that point.

Who knows, maybe Southwest will get in the game and bring a nonstop to Love Field if they expand their operations. I still send UA an occasional e-mail to see if they will consider bringing the route back. The canned response is always nice and vague.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
I just moved to DFW from CLE a month ago... Before I decided on DFW as a temporary location (6 month - 1 year) I searched airfare out of DFW to compare costs for weekend trips and trips back to CLE.

Prices were reasonable on UA and DL for most of the country, even for last minute flights.

A week after moving here prices blew up (and mileage redemption). This is just another blow... Hopefully it's just higher than anticipated summer travel driving up booking classes and not UA and DL deciding to throw in the towel on price competition with AA...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:00 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Moderator Note

As this thread has morphed into a discussion more along the lines of the overall impact on CLE w/r/t the impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment and overall airport functions) after UA De-Hubbing at CLE, I have change the thread title accordingly and will move this discussion over to the Midwest forum

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
It was via their booking engine. Looking for a flight on November 20. Plus, Spirit flights don't show up on Hipmunk, Google Flights, etc.
Originally Posted by scracer14
This is just another blow... Hopefully it's just higher than anticipated summer travel driving up booking classes and not UA and DL deciding to throw in the towel on price competition with AA...
The CAK newsletter today indicates that Spirit will fly from CAK effective November 10th. Nonstops to MCO, FLL, TPA, RSW at launch, then adding a nonstop to MYR on April 27th.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:39 am

Anyone ever see random people in Concourse D when you fly out? Back in early July, when arriving in CLE, I looked over while I was walking and I noticed about 3 or 4 people in Concourse D. They were looking around and one of them was pointing at a variety of things. I wonder what this could have been?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:29 am

Anyone ever see random people in Concourse D when you fly out? Back in early July, when arriving in CLE, I looked over while I was walking and I noticed about 3 or 4 people in Concourse D. They were looking around and one of them was pointing at a variety of things. I wonder what this could have been?
I saw people over there moving some furniture around, my guess was more seating for the RNC.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
With the severe weather on the East Coast (especially the DC area), it looks like there was some interesting re-routings to CLE including Virgin America.

Anyone see this plane?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by OhioExile
With the severe weather on the East Coast (especially the DC area), it looks like there was some interesting re-routings to CLE including Virgin America.

Anyone see this plane?
Was sitting on Pad 3 behind FedEx, no pictures though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.