Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
To put it bluntly, UA management doesn't always act rationally. Further, I opine it has a grudge against CLE. Why? Who knows? But based on that longstanding opinion, I boldly predicted United would close the CLE Club after the 2016 GOP Convention had come and gone.

Was my prediction wrong... or merely too soon? We'll see.
sure, I suspect that it has at least something to do with how much it's costing them to 'maintain' D concourse. My understanding is that it's UA's obligation to pay the costs associated with it for a decent time to come. I'm sure that they would rather tear it down and stop paying CLE for the privilege of it sitting there empty.

So far as the club goes I can't see that it's a high cost for UA to keep it open (relative to other existing or proposed locations), but you are correct it's not like they are always rational actors in regards to their business.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:53 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Whew .. this thread got me freaked out for a second there
Actually, me too. The CLE club is my favorite haunt. I'll be there this Thursday.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Actually, me too. The CLE club is my favorite haunt. I'll be there this Thursday.
+1 for me. It's easily my favorite club. Unlike ORD or EWR, it's never a zoo and the staff is the friendliest. If they do close the CLE club, there goes my membership too. Every UA flight I take starts at that club, between that and the help with IRROPS I've had there, I don't think the clubs in hubs are worth it.
JimInOhio and AceReport like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mrmoo
+1 for me. It's easily my favorite club. Unlike ORD or EWR, it's never a zoo and the staff is the friendliest. If they do close the CLE club, there goes my membership too. Every UA flight I take starts at that club, between that and the help with IRROPS I've had there, I don't think the clubs in hubs are worth it.
The chicken gumbo was decent and something different today, too.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:27 pm

The master plan is finally underway. Let's hope they recommend a "go big" option that would replace the aging terminal, roadways, parking, etc.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...e-airport.html
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by guy44134
The master plan is finally underway. Let's hope they recommend a "go big" option that would replace the aging terminal, roadways, parking, etc.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...e-airport.html

Nice but that should have been done 40 years ago.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Nice but that should have been done 40 years ago.
The master plan has been updated several times over the past decades, most recently in 2012. But things have changed tremendously since the early 2000's and the airport's peak years such as 911, the Great Recession, and the 2nd UA de-hubbing in 2014. Also, 40 years ago, the airport terminal and 2 concourses were brand new, D wasn't even planned (although it was envisioned in the airport master plan of early 1970's that led to the new terminal then) and other significant airside improvements (new parallel runway, lengthening of other runway, decoupling of all runways, EMAS system on the short cross-wind runway, new air traffic control tower, central de-icing center, etc.) were not on the drawing board. Hindsight is 20/20, although CLE's planning has certainly not been visionary. Let's hope it is this go around.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: hoarding miles
Cleveland chosen for London Stock Exchange program’s North American headquarters
The London Stock Exchange has planted a flag in Cleveland, picking the city to host the North American headquarters for its international business-development initiative.

The headquarters for the London Stock Exchange Group’s Elite initiative, which trains small and medium-sized companies to help them grow, is expected to open sometime early next year, officials announced Monday.
Cue the discussion of bringing back a direct CLE-LHR route...
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:58 am
RNE

Is that news item from The Onion?
Seriously though, the only way CLE will get direct EU service again is from an EU-based carrier. VS comes to mind.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:59 pm
RNE

Are there really no nonstop flights CLE-LAX on Thursday, April 9?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
I see three-2 on UA and 1 on NK:

https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...s:0*0;sd:1;t:f
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RNE
on UA? I see two (UA 1977 @ 0726 and UA2124 @ 1924) as well as a Spirit (NK 185 departing @ 2020).

Since UA 1977 is a 738, already 2 F seats are showing as occupied. Might need to hurry to book!

David
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:28 am
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
Originally Posted by DELee
on UA? I see two (UA 1977 @ 0726 and UA2124 @ 1924) as well as a Spirit (NK 185 departing @ 2020).

Since UA 1977 is a 738, already 2 F seats are showing as occupied. Might need to hurry to book!

David
Weird. No UA flights were showing up when I checked. Anyway, that's resolved. Thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:52 am
RNE

So what's the wisdom, fellow UA flyers, on getting to LAS from CLE nowadays? Are you connecting on UA or taking another carrier? Experiences, please.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
So what's the wisdom, fellow UA flyers, on getting to LAS from CLE nowadays? Are you connecting on UA or taking another carrier? Experiences, please.
UA with a connection for me. Thought thankfully I only have to go to LAS every other year for a tradeshow. It's a pretty painless connection through ORD or DEN (DEN is essentially in the line of flight so if you find the right flight combination you're only adding 45 minutes or so to the journey time), IAH was a great LAS connection to rack up PQM before the MP changes for next year. Don't think I've connected via SFO, LAX, EWR, or GUM to LAS (yet) --- hmm...wonder if GUM would be a legal connection

I can't voluntarily subject myself to a LCC for that long of a NS even if UA didn't treat me so well, I swore I'd never fly Delta again in August of 2004 and intend to stand by that for the foreseeable future and AA doesn't offer significant advantages to overcome the FQTV benefits on UA (including, now that 11/1 has passed, access to the club)
RNE likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.