Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrmoo
That is kind of my thought process. I would think there would be value in the flight. Perhaps not enough to fill a 737, but with ExpressJet operating a base here, maybe an E-175? There is a lot of traffic even with the competition. Interesting that a GA in LAS mentioned it before one in CLE where there would be more nostalgia for the hub days of yore.
That's the one possibility I think had a potential to work based on A/C size/comfort (the 175 yes, 145 for that stage length would be even more painful than CLE-DEN) if UA had excess 175 capacity. The problem with ExpressJet though would become crew and aircraft rotation. Based on Wikipedia at least (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_ExpressJet) ExpressJet currently has no (opf UA) service in LAS -- so, at least assuming no other route/destination changes were made -- anything would have to be an out-and-back turn for both the crew and the aircraft which could make timing on at least one of the legs less than ideal.

Is ExpressJet currently operating any 175 service to/from CLE? Seems like every time I look its a dwindling number of 145s -- and I had forgotten they were awarded 175 flying until you refreshed my memory.

I still think there would be a N/S yield problem though for the bean counters though.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
That's the one possibility I think had a potential to work based on A/C size/comfort (the 175 yes, 145 for that stage length would be even more painful than CLE-DEN) if UA had excess 175 capacity. The problem with ExpressJet though would become crew and aircraft rotation. Based on Wikipedia at least (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_ExpressJet) ExpressJet currently has no (opf UA) service in LAS -- so, at least assuming no other route/destination changes were made -- anything would have to be an out-and-back turn for both the crew and the aircraft which could make timing on at least one of the legs less than ideal.

Is ExpressJet currently operating any 175 service to/from CLE? Seems like every time I look its a dwindling number of 145s -- and I had forgotten they were awarded 175 flying until you refreshed my memory.

I still think there would be a N/S yield problem though for the bean counters though.
ExpressJet is operating E175s from CLE. In fact, it appears they are basing some there as I've seen some parked over by their office next to Concourse A.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:25 am
RNE

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
they can't believe they no longer have a nonstop flight to CLE. She mentioned they are always checking in quite a few people bound for CLE.
We opt for nonstops -- even for a premium -- but won't fly non-legacy carriers. Thus, we've made some adjustments when flying to Sin City. For instance, in April we're flying there on UA -- but because it doesn't have nonstops from CLE anymore, we're going from CAK. We're (a little) closer to CAK, the prices are comparable and since we have to connect anyway...

And with Frontier offering $100 round trip...
LCCs have their place but many passengers demand E+ or FC seating. Like us, for instance.

Originally Posted by mrmoo
Perhaps not enough to fill a 737, but with ExpressJet operating a base here, maybe an E-175?
Maybe.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
LCCs have their place but many passengers demand E+ or FC seating. Like us, for instance.
I think this is true for a lot of business travelers. My company doesn't really care what I book so long as it's priced right. We do exclude ULLCs from our search tool unless you explicitly want to add them. Aside from WN, which is sort of LCC, but I'd fly them for work if it made sense. I did for a few years when I had a project in BNA.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by RNE
Spirit and Frontier have extra legroom seats available for purchase. And because their customers are so damn cheap there are usually plenty of them available for advance purchase.

A couple weeks ago we flew Spirit nonstop LAS-CLE in a Big Front Seat. Quite comfortable, just about equivalent to a UA domestic first class seat, and only about $40 extra IIRC. I bought 2 little bottles of wine at the start of the flight (to get the quantity discount LOL) and the FA kept one on ice and brought it to me later when it was time for a refill. ^

On the outbound we flew UA CLE-ORD-LAS and almost missed our connection due to a ground stop at ORD... If Spirit or Frontier had a morning flight westbound I would have gladly taken their nonstop and not have to worry about a misconnect in ORD or DEN.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by paule123
Having CLEAR this past Monday morning was fantastic. (first business day after thanksgiving weekend). I arrived at the checkpoint with a co-worker who has TSA Pre. I breezed right through Clear, and then waited a good 20 minutes for her to make it through.

what does CLEAR do. I though it had something to do with clear bags but I saw passengers using it a few weeks ago and did not have gear.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by JerryGuitar
Cleveland chosen for London Stock Exchange program’s North American headquarters

Cue the discussion of bringing back a direct CLE-LHR route...

British Airways just announced service to Portland Oregon. This is the time new routes are announced for service to begin late Spring. Have we talked to them. Cleveland Clinic building in Florida maybe they could help here.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:35 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
what does CLEAR do. I though it had something to do with clear bags but I saw passengers using it a few weeks ago and did not have gear.
CLEAR uses biometric authentication to verify identity and enables members to bypass the TSA document checker.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AA US
"... lose 45 minutes in a connection ..."
I haven't made it through one of the mega-hubs that quickly in years.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobS
I haven't made it through one of the mega-hubs that quickly in years.
Maybe it only works because I have friends/relatives based at most of the hubs that I'd love to arrange a meet up with and that's just about impossible to pull off with less than an hour

Definitely seasonally related -- in the winter I wouldn't dare aim for less than a :60 connection. Summer I've not infrequently pulled off connections close to MCT.
RobS likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
Having CLEAR this past Monday morning was fantastic. (first business day after thanksgiving weekend). I arrived at the checkpoint with a co-worker who has TSA Pre. I breezed right through Clear, and then waited a good 20 minutes for her to make it through.

It saved me. I signed-up that morning for the free trial in order to make my flight (and that was after allowing two full hours at the airport, expecting a post-holiday rush). By the time I waited in an unusually long bag drop line, most of that extra time was spent... none left to stand in the unusually long pre-check line.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer

So how does Nashville get London direct also Austin not hub airports.

Cleveland is a huge medical base with The Cleveland Clinic and several others. They are building a Clinic in London. Maybe they can help subsidize the route. Delta still offers year round daily Cincinnati-Paris how do they fill all the seats as little traffic feed.

The traffic pattern for the most part into the airport is the same as it was in the 1960’s excluding the I480 connector. The master plan 20-30 years ago should have rebuilt the entire airport terminal in another location. City leaders who run the airport should have bought the IX Center and built it there. The new convention center downtown can accommodate most of the events held there. Thanks

The old rental car area was demolished to make room
for the D concourse which has not been used since dehubing. Can’t believe the newest
concourse sits empty. They should have either had a bridge of tunnel to the main terminal to make it more viable to use. Other cities have these off site centers
say Phoenix.

Continental discontinued CLE-LHR seasonal service when CLE was still a hub. Never gave a good reason the flight operated pretty full. Paris flight only ran 4 months and they said it would not come back but in return London service switching from LGW to LHR.

Newark is a congested disaster. My last several flights were delayed on a clear day due to air traffic issues. I hate arriving and departing terminal A and taking the shuttle. Very long hike from A gates to day gate 135.

Old Dec 29, 2019, 5:09 am

Service to Europe

Getting direct flights back to Europe needs to be a priority for the City. They manage the airport. Have written them several times replies are wishy washy if you know what that means. Destination Cleveland needs to be involved too.
BNA, CVG, IND, AUS, RDU, TPA, FLL, BDL, PIT,SJC
are not hub airports yet have nonstop flights to Europe.
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA US
buckeyefanflyer said: "Continental discontinued CLE-LHR seasonal service when CLE was still a hub. Never gave a good reason the flight operated pretty full. Paris flight only ran 4 months and they said it would not come back but in return London service switching from LGW to LHR."

If you check when CO administerd the 2008 cuts to CLE (August) and when merger discussions with UA resumed (June), you just might get the impression that the two were related. UA was bleeding cash in ORD at the time and facing near-term insolvency. I can't prove a connection; but maybe Kellner will write a book some day.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
If you had to pick one TATL out of CLE that gives bang for the buck I'd say CLE-FRA.

(But for now I'll be hopping on a little RJ tomorrow morning at 6am to IAD to connect for my NYE international )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.