Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
I noticed that the Marriott forum has quite a few "stickie" threads and that the number has been slowly growing over the years. Also, it seems most of the other hotel/airline forums have a "master" FAQ thread at the top of their forums.

So I thought it might be a good idea if we tried to put together a Marriott Master FAQ thread. I have started one below with some general topics (I admit that I looked at the Hilton and the Starwood FAQs to get some ideas.)

My thoughts are that people could chime in with suggestions on additions, topic areas, etc. Whatever anyone thinks would be helpful.

So don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts (even if you think I'm totally doing it wrong.)

Marriott and Starwood Merger Threads

Important Marriott Forum Member's Threads

Popular Hotel and City Master Threads

Marriott Elite levels, benefits, status
Post Your Experiences: Late Check-Out for Elites (Starting 5/16/16)
Can my spouse and I both get lounge guests?
2014 Status Buyback is back!
Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status
Platinum Premier level, 2016-present
Does Marriott match other programs' elite status?
"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Questions involving rollover nights
Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Platinum worth it?
Questions about "The Ultimate Guarantee"
Just Curious - Have you ever gotten, lost, and regained Platinum Premier
Official Upgrade Policy
Taking Advantage of Platinum Guaranteed Reservation
Platinum Premier Level, pre-2016
Can I get my Gold benefits if room is booked in another name?
Is Free Internet Available for Multiple Rooms?
Platinum redeeming points for someone else - upgrades?
Simultaneous Stays - Multiple Elite Nights?
Multiple Rooms Rules for Elites
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Ritz Carlton Rewards Marriott Rewards Points Marriott Rewards Promotions/Bonus Opportunities Marriott/Ritz Carlton Credit Cards Marriott Program Comparisons with other Hotel Programs General Marriott Threads for FlyerTalk members
Print Wikipost

Marriott FAQ Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
So I could have sworn that gold status required 25 nights, but I just checked and it's 50. Did they change the requirement recently and I missed it?
I do believe it has been 50 nights for Gold since the beginning of the current Silver/Gold/Plat elite program. I don't remember if it was 50 nights back in the old Marriott Marquis days (when Black was an elite level as that was 20+ years ago.)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
TownePlace suites no longer listed as earning points

I suppose it's just a glitch on the website but this page no longer lists TownePlace Suites as earning any points:

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...earn/hotels.mi

I tried to find out more in the T&C but apparently the earning rate is not mentioned in the T&C.
So just wanted to confirm that it's still earning 5 points like it used to be?

Last edited by kcaluwae; Oct 18, 2017 at 10:38 am Reason: added T&C part
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Just checked and I still see TPS right next to RI with both listed as earning 5 pts/$ spent on room rate.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Interesting. When I access Marriott.com from IE, I can see TPS listed. But if I try from Chrome, I don't see it.

In any case, I doubt this is a radical change from Marriott by dropping certain brands from their Rewards program.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do believe it has been 50 nights for Gold since the beginning of the current Silver/Gold/Plat elite program. I don't remember if it was 50 nights back in the old Marriott Marquis days (when Black was an elite level as that was 20+ years ago.)
Strange. I distinctly remember looking into getting the Marriott credit card because it gives you 15 nights/year. I usually stay 10 at Marriotts, and I very vividly remember thinking "with the credit card I'd meet the 25 night requirement for gold." I'm very concerned that I seem to be hallucinating this entire experience. Then again, given Marriott's lackluster IT, it could have been a webpage from 20 years ago *snort*
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
Strange. I distinctly remember looking into getting the Marriott credit card because it gives you 15 nights/year. I usually stay 10 at Marriotts, and I very vividly remember thinking "with the credit card I'd meet the 25 night requirement for gold." I'm very concerned that I seem to be hallucinating this entire experience. Then again, given Marriott's lackluster IT, it could have been a webpage from 20 years ago *snort*
Could be early stage dementia.

Maybe your thought process was:
- I'll be staying 10 nights
- get the credit card for 15 nights
- spend $75K/year on the credit card for 25 nights.

Just a guess.

Or, it could be early stage dementia.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:53 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Just checked and I still see TPS right next to RI with both listed as earning 5 pts/$ spent on room rate.
Interesting. When I access Marriott.com from IE, I can see TPS listed. But if I try from Chrome, I don't see it.

In any case, I doubt this is a radical change from Marriott by dropping certain brands from their Rewards program.
Interesting indeed, problem seems to be related to Chrome. (or correcter to a not so good tested website by Marriott IT)
Firefox shows TownePlace suites as well.

But attached screenshot is how it looks in Chrome.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Does doing a mobile check in count as an actual check in for purposes of stay/night credit? If that's the case, does the charge for the stay simply go onto the card used to hold the booking if I don't show up in person?

I have a couple of mattress run reservations coming up for my Plat challenge and I'd love to skip the added step of actually going to the hotel for one of the stays in particular since it's a bit out of the way.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
On the phone with customer service who surprised me by saying that if you book a room on points and pay extra for an upgraded room (e.g. at time of booking), that room rate is not eligible for Marriott points? That seems a bit surprising, as money spent on hotel nights is usually the core of any program. I had a $2,000 stay in Hawaii and only got credit for $400, which seemed a bit off (to be fair, $400 was an outside provider, plus another $180 on taxis).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:38 pm

Question

Hi,

I do not see this question in the FAQ.

Do any Elite Benefits apply when booking through a travel agent rather than with Marriott directly?

Thank you.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by TObject
Hi,

I do not see this question in the FAQ.

Do any Elite Benefits apply when booking through a travel agent rather than with Marriott directly?

Thank you.
I do'nt have too much experience booking through travel agents (as opposed to OTAs) but from what I know, if a Virtuoso travel agent, for example, books your hotel for you you still earn points and get elite benefits. Someone can confirm whether this is true for all travel agents.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:07 am
Original Poster

You should receive your elite benefits with virtually any reservation, even Priceline type reservations. You just need to make sure your MR# is in the reservation. You might not get night credits or points for some reservation types though.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Got an interesting Promo today for Marriott via United Mileage Plus. Booked OMA-IAH-PBC a few days ago and got this email. Did a quick search but couldn't find anything about it anywhere.
You've booked your flight to Houston, now book your hotel stay with MarriottŪ. Book through the link in this email by February 13, 2018, and you'll earn a special bonus on top of the points or miles you can already earn for your stay as a Marriott RewardsŪ member**:
■ 500 bonus award miles for a one-night stay

■ 1,000 bonus award miles for stays of two nights or more

Hurry – reserve with Marriott by February 13, 2018 to receive this exclusive, limited-time bonus brought to you through our RewardsPlus partnership.

Interestingly enough I just connect thru houston, terms don't specifically say I can't book in Mexico as well but when I click the link it pre-fills Houston as the search city. I can change it though...

Anyone else try this before?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:58 am

I am a Ritz Carlton member (Platinum Elite due to SPG Plat status). I can't seem to register for the current Marriott 3K point bonus per stay. Is it because I am a RC member and not Marriott? Is there a similar promo for RC members or should I change my RC account to a Marriott? Now that I am a lifetime SPG Plat, I'd like to see the other side and try some Marriott properties, but not if I don't get any bonuses.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:47 am
Original Poster

My understanding is that while the RC and Marriott programs are essentially the same thing, they do have different "marketing" front-ends. That usually translates into different promotional offers for RC members than for MR members. So I'd guess, the answer to your question is yes. You will need to switch over your program affiliation to MR instead of RC to get the Marriott promotion.

As for whether there is a current RC promotion going on, I'm not sure on that as my account is currently on the MR side and I don't keep as close an eye on the RC side as I probably could. You might go look in the RC forum to see if there are any threads on current promotions. I didn't see one when I did a quick look, but you might start a thread there asking about any current promotional opportunities with the RC program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.