Search
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Print Wikipost

Copenhagen Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:23 pm

Thanks for your post. We are going out on Princess on a Wednesday in August, and this information is very helpful.

Did you fly out the day of the ship's return or stay over? If it is the latter, do you have any recommendation for a hotel. We have a 0600 departure.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:35 pm

I stayed at the Copenhagen Marriott before going on a Baltic cruise, and I agree, it was great! Beautiful view of the water.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:16 am

Copenhagen Marriott & Cruises / followup

Answers as best as possible to a few questions:

Cruise left Copenhagen 18:00 Friday. We had to be on board 17:00. We arrived the Marriott at about 20:00 night before. Hotel was, of course, completely full, but there were a few seats in the lobby bar. No problem with getting our first class room on the 3rd-to-top floor. On the return from the cruise, we didn't stay, but took the train to Frankfurt same day.

On cruise day, we also took a taxi to the boat. ~150DK and 20 minutes at 15:00 after the rush. I can see how RobertS975 might be right about the Marriott bus, luggage and transit chaos. When we disembarked the boat at 06:45 it was too early for the Marriott bus but I expect the Marriott lobby was already in chaos.

"Ideally located downtown." Yes. 5 blocks from the main train station,a few blocks from delightful parks and river walks, the palace and "old Copenhagen", and 4 blocks from Tivoli Gardens. We live in Phoenix which is 100 miles long by 40 miles wide. The Marriott in Copenhagen is "downtown"! As for public transportation, I saw numerous buses on Kalvebod Brygge and Bernstorffsgade but I expect they were hubbing at the train station, so I don't know how you would use buses to get to the pier. If you're on a budget, use the Marriott bus. If you're on such a budget as public tranportation is required, you're probably not staying at the Marriott and there are several smaller hotels much nearer the pier.

If you are just visiting Copenhagen, yes, the hotel will be problematic on cruise days. Just FYI. The Marriott rate for our room (we used points) was about $US250. Some of our friends stayed another day after the cruise but stayed at the airport for about $US125 with a free shuttle to the terminal.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: 1K UAL Marriott Platinum Premier - Ambassador thing-y Hertz President's Circle
just completed two-night June 2011 stay here

1. very nice property. a few blocks off the beaten downtown track, but you can be in the middle of things in a quick walk ( 10 minutes ). friends were staying at the Radisson blu royal viking that is in the middle of everything, paying more and getting less. their rooms were out of a bad woody allen movie. tiny, modern, looked like pods from the tight hallways. looked like they were staying on a space ship. elevators were like closets on pulleys. no thanks.

2. staff was terrific, very helpful. i'm always embarrassed when traveling to a foreign country and the natives speak better english than i do (!). and i'm always a little sheepish when blurting out a question in english because it seems a little presumptuous. but pretty much everyone is fluent in english -- and very friendly.

the room was fine and, by european standards, probably huge. nice bathroom, except they still had the funky all-plastic toilets ( at least i think it was all plastic). i don't mean to swagger all-american here, but give me a porcelain foundation 6 days out of 7 and i'm happy.

free internet, good connection speed.

tv stunk, but who's watching a lot of tv when you're in europe?

3. wasn't cheap. i'm PP so i got a nice upgrade to concierge, but everything else was $$$. but that has much to do with the lousy exchange rate as just a generally higher cost. i think my martini was close to $23 ( and, might i add, worth every penny....). and in reading these other posts about getting free happy hour booze in the concierge lounge, i cried myself into a fetal position....

4. it's hard to swing a dead cat by the tail in copenhagen without hitting a 7-11. but considering the price of things, they come in handy for a quick coffee/roll. a five minute walk from the marriott -- and on the way to the center of things -- is a very large train station. easy to pop in for a 7-11 coffee there ; or a shameful dbl cheeeseburger at mcd's ( don't tell my wife) .

5. concierge lounge was fine. someone posted about the strange offerings. well, it's a DIFFERENT COUNTRY. it ain't omaha, folks. offerings were fine.

6. midtown grill & chop house ( i think that was the name) was the in-house restaurant. i had misgivings about eating there because the notion of eating at a marriott steakhouse that had shots of the statue of liberty in the promo flyers smacked a little of eating at the hard rock in foreign cities ( if you want a burger and nachos, stay home ). i took some clients to some fairly highly rated steakhouse named Hereford Beefstouw (sp?). Sat down to a round table top that was a little larger than a large pizza. place was hot and jammed with tourists. Glances shot across the table and we split. Had a drink at a nice, cozy bar across the street called The Library ( inside some boutique hotel) and had excellent service. other than some loud american marco polo chronicling his most recent journey, the place was terrific. great bartender.

made a reservation at marriott restaurant and got a big table with plenty of elbow room. they even put extra ice in our drinks without asking. soup,salad and steaks were all very good. nice kicker at the end with the check: tumbler of marshmallows, tumbler of choc chips and a little flame tower of sterno-induced flames. wasn't cheap but it was good.

7. the nearby Tivoli is good, if you're 9. actually, that's probably not fair. let's just say that a 9 year old will enjoy it MORE than an adult. it's always nice to see kids having fun.

lots of jazz all around. very good jazz club in NE section of copenhagen. i think it's call jazzhus montmarte . i've heard that copenhagen is sort of the european hub for jazz. if you're at all into jazz, check out their web page to see who's playing. might luck into something.

8. best part of this marriott was the staff/service. very impressive. obviously well-trained and well-managed. if the dollar ever gets stronger, i'll go back in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta SM Million Miler | Miles & More | Bonvoy Gold | HHonors Diamond | AMEX Centurion | PC Platinum
Smile Chefs at Marriott Copenhagen

Hi Guys.

Laugh of the day :

I was getting hungry in my room at Marriott Copenhagen and decided to "study" their room menu.

I was quite impressed noticing a sign in the menu saying that if there is something which is not on the menu they can easily prepare it for you, just name it. Very nice gesture ^.

Did not want to complicate, I closed the menu and ordered Spaghetti Bolognese (even my child knows how to cook that).

What I received were Tagliatele covered by smashed meat balls (Danished meat balls are national dish, the taste of the meat is very simmilar to balkanese Cevapcici), no sign of tomato sauce.

If this is for laugh or for cryaing - it's up to you.

Cheers!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:08 am

So was that "on menu" or "off menu?"
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott PP, Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, AA Gold
The "chefs" at the Marriott CPH are not known for their cooking ability. Ask the hotel staff and they will tell you. Ever since the restaurant was refurbished, the food has been awful. I have never had any luck ordering off the menu. Once I asked for simple pasta with olive oil and garlic..couldn't do it. Their breakfast buffet in the morning is rather nice though.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Do you know what the hours are for the "happy hour"?

thanks,
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Enginerd
1. very nice property. a few blocks off the beaten downtown track, but you can be in the middle of things in a quick walk ( 10 minutes ). friends were staying at the Radisson blu royal viking that is in the middle of everything, paying more and getting less. their rooms were out of a bad woody allen movie. tiny, modern, looked like pods from the tight hallways. looked like they were staying on a space ship. elevators were like closets on pulleys. no thanks.

2. staff was terrific, very helpful. i'm always embarrassed when traveling to a foreign country and the natives speak better english than i do (!). and i'm always a little sheepish when blurting out a question in english because it seems a little presumptuous. but pretty much everyone is fluent in english -- and very friendly.

the room was fine and, by european standards, probably huge. nice bathroom, except they still had the funky all-plastic toilets ( at least i think it was all plastic). i don't mean to swagger all-american here, but give me a porcelain foundation 6 days out of 7 and i'm happy.

free internet, good connection speed.

tv stunk, but who's watching a lot of tv when you're in europe?

3. wasn't cheap. i'm PP so i got a nice upgrade to concierge, but everything else was $$$. but that has much to do with the lousy exchange rate as just a generally higher cost. i think my martini was close to $23 ( and, might i add, worth every penny....). and in reading these other posts about getting free happy hour booze in the concierge lounge, i cried myself into a fetal position....

4. it's hard to swing a dead cat by the tail in copenhagen without hitting a 7-11. but considering the price of things, they come in handy for a quick coffee/roll. a five minute walk from the marriott -- and on the way to the center of things -- is a very large train station. easy to pop in for a 7-11 coffee there ; or a shameful dbl cheeeseburger at mcd's ( don't tell my wife) .

5. concierge lounge was fine. someone posted about the strange offerings. well, it's a DIFFERENT COUNTRY. it ain't omaha, folks. offerings were fine.

6. midtown grill & chop house ( i think that was the name) was the in-house restaurant. i had misgivings about eating there because the notion of eating at a marriott steakhouse that had shots of the statue of liberty in the promo flyers smacked a little of eating at the hard rock in foreign cities ( if you want a burger and nachos, stay home ). i took some clients to some fairly highly rated steakhouse named Hereford Beefstouw (sp?). Sat down to a round table top that was a little larger than a large pizza. place was hot and jammed with tourists. Glances shot across the table and we split. Had a drink at a nice, cozy bar across the street called The Library ( inside some boutique hotel) and had excellent service. other than some loud american marco polo chronicling his most recent journey, the place was terrific. great bartender.

made a reservation at marriott restaurant and got a big table with plenty of elbow room. they even put extra ice in our drinks without asking. soup,salad and steaks were all very good. nice kicker at the end with the check: tumbler of marshmallows, tumbler of choc chips and a little flame tower of sterno-induced flames. wasn't cheap but it was good.

7. the nearby Tivoli is good, if you're 9. actually, that's probably not fair. let's just say that a 9 year old will enjoy it MORE than an adult. it's always nice to see kids having fun.

lots of jazz all around. very good jazz club in NE section of copenhagen. i think it's call jazzhus montmarte . i've heard that copenhagen is sort of the european hub for jazz. if you're at all into jazz, check out their web page to see who's playing. might luck into something.

8. best part of this marriott was the staff/service. very impressive. obviously well-trained and well-managed. if the dollar ever gets stronger, i'll go back in a heartbeat.
Not sure how I missed this before. But thanks for the great 'trip report'.

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
Do you know what the hours are for the "happy hour"?

thanks,
IIRC, it was 5:30-7:30pm. They serve some light appetizers and wine/beer. The lounge is open until midnight and have potato chips and peanuts later on. I can't remember exactly but they may have a short dessert time after 7:30om where they serve cake.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by okwhynot
Traveling to Copenhagen on the 31st of July and am considering staying at the local Marriott for 5 nights.
I would welcome any comments and or suggestions.
Thank You In Advance
I loved the Copenhagen Marriott!

Also, if you like good food, do everything you can to eat at "Noma" while you're there. It's pricey, but it was recently voted #1 in the World.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do Golds/Plats/Exec level guests get free Internet in the room as well? Do they have wired Internet?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do Golds/Plats/Exec level guests get free Internet in the room as well? Do they have wired Internet?
Gold/Platinum members get free internet in the rooms at all Marriott hotels including the Copenhagen Marriott. I think they have an ethernet connection in the rooms as well.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Am here now...hours for club lounge happy hour appear to be 5.30pm to 9.30pm! Temporary lounge at the moment while the 11th floor lounge is under renovation. The lounge is in the lobby in a meeting room. Large fridge with drinks. I was also told on checkin that the minibar is complimentary...not sure if that is an Exec floor benefit or just for my rate?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Sky Team,

I stayed on the Exec floor and the mini bar was indeed complimentary, although I did ring down to reception to double check this as there were a couple of 20 year olds travelling on my account!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.