Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Arrow Impressions after 6-night HM Stay:

Team FT:

Just back into the US after 2 weeks in SE Asia on honeymoon. First 6 nights spent at Naka.

Overall, while the hard product is fairly nice, there were too many issues and shortcomings for me to consider going back.

Naka faces back onto Ao Po Marina, not out into the Bay. Time by the pool or at the restaurants (the main common areas) doesn't exude any discernible beauty. You're basically just looking back onto a small channel between the island against a backdrop of jungle/forest. The "beach" is mostly gravel, very little sand. Also, highly concentrated with old shells, pieces of brick and other building materials, etc. Unable to really enjoy without shoes and once in the water, the bottom is covered in shells/dead reef/other debris. Also, it's rather shallow unless you go quite a ways out. The view from Z Bar and near the water, however, is killer. But it's not a main focus of the resort and I think it would be entirely likely that a good portion of guests would never venture over there to see.

General Thoughts - Pros:
Staff: very gentle and sweet, almost too a fault. All interactions or greetings seem very sincere and thoughtful. Very Thai.
Villas: well-appointed, comfortable. Bedroom is very livable, outdoor bathroom not really an issue. Shower doubles as steam-room, outdoor bathtub big enough for two. While my view was pretty abysmal, there are villas with epic views of the bay. I know the property has some age, but it's not evident when you look at the villa as a whole and the individual pieces of furniture, etc.
Pool: Enjoyable, very clean.
Spa: Very peaceful with good services available.
Breakfast Buffet: Very varied in choice, good quality, actually a highlight of the stay.

Cons:
Insects: Only a con because they're annoying anywhere you are. The mosquitoes are still prevalent, but not in obnoxious quantity. Lots of insects, but it's expected. The hotel does work very hard to control, but it's never going to be perfect. I recommend lighting up the coil in the bathroom every morning. If it burns out too fast, call for more.
Housekeeping Service: lots of small issues concerning timing of service and attention to detail. Pool not cleaned two-days in a row after storms - lots of debris, etc. Towels taken away during cleaning, but not replaced. Housekeeping not visiting one day before 3pm, which I'd consider a missed visit.
Quality of Food: Very hit and miss. At best, it's decent, not great. The Thai food is actually the worst of the menus with the Western menu being marginally better. Curries aren't right, they're thin-soup consistency, Wok sauces for noodles aren't rich and powerful. I could go on and on as food is my job, but it just wasn't right. It's unreasonable to pay$60-$100 every meal for bad food. I spotted the chef, a Brit, the first day and I swear to you, I saw him off enjoying the island with his girl more than I saw him in his whites in the kitchen. Even during meal service, he'd be in street clothes sitting in the dining room. A bad Massaman curry is made even worse when the Chef is sitting out enjoying a cocktail. However, I do whole-heartedly recommend the made-to-order breakfast Mee Sappam. It was great every day.
Restaurant Service: Absolutely the worst part of our visit. While there is a rather large waitstaff, they're woefully trained and instructed. Menus not delivered, water not filled, at times not even acknowledged that you're sitting for 15 minutes. Asked for order before menu/water service. Drinks waiting at bar, but no staff stopping to pick up. No main person running the show. I have a restaurant background, so this all drove me crazy. The staff just didn't have set duties, so they always look busy, but nothing is being accomplished. They also don't have "eyes" for the room, so they focus on one task and completely ignore everything else. My suggestion, be loud and pushy.
Speedboat Service: While the expense is certainly annoying (around $55), we were made to wait one evening while the boat was serviced. There is only one boat, so we spent 1 hour sitting on the dock while the engine oil was changed (on a Saturday at 6pm!). While this likely won't happen to anyone else, it was rather unlike a Lux Collection hotel not to have alternate transportation. Also, they insisted on charging for the service, even though we waited so long. Some friends we ran into had to wait 3 hours in the marina for a thunderstorm to clear before they'd run the boat.
Rather Boring: I won't say a lot here, but we stayed too long. There just aren't many activities to enjoy, it's hard to get into town and very expensive. If you simply want to relax all day, ever day with no intentions of leaving, then you're probably fine.
Checkout Issues: I know this stuff happens, but we were nonchalantly presented a bill for the full-price of our stay, ignoring the promotion we booked under and all that it entailed. Almost $2k difference. Just shameful to have this little of attention-to-detail when all the necessary info is easily available by computer or the hard files they kept. We were charged the wrong amount for the airport transfer, we were charged for 6 nights instead of the 4 under Stay 3, Pay 2, our resort credit was not applied, etc.

I wanted to love Naka Island very much, but just found the service not completely up to standards and the location/activities too limited. It's made out to seem like an island paradise, but the views/beach aspect of a typical "paradise" are missing. This ain't the Maldives and it's on the low rungs of quality locations as it relates to Starwood resort locations.

Had service been great, I think I'd still walked away feeling a bit let-down.

Last edited by reeg2; Mar 11, 2012 at 4:38 am Reason: forgot the FOOD.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:25 am

Interesting report Reeg2. Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:54 am

Naka Island at a ridiculous price.

Tropical pool villa: King Bed, Smoking
4,844 sq. ft. / 450 m˛
Additional outdoor rain shower
iPod dock with Bose sound system
Private courtyard with plunge pool & sala
High speed internet access for an additional charge

8000 THB (tax included)/night
Rates includes daily breakfast for two persons and round trip speed boat transfer from Ao Por Grand Marina (reserve for check in and check out only). Fully prepayment is required, non refundable & non changeable.

Bookable on spg.com. Now until end of Oct only.

I wish I can take advantage of this and the SQ F at the same time.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:59 am

8000 THB = Approx. $250
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Thats average for a hotel/resort in Thailand like Naka Island. Stayed at both the W and Le Meridien in Ko Sumui this year. LE Meridien was about 7000 / night upgraded to pool suite. W was 18000 BT a night, also upgraded. Big difference considering I booked the cheapest room at both hotels, both Feb stays
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:09 am

W was 18000/night.
This is 8000/night. What do you mean average? When was Naka this cheap?

I don't consider LM Koh Samui to be the same class as W KS or Naka Island.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:59 am
Suspended

Seems to be valid only during the 'green' season.

And yes I have seen much lower rates last year, for the dry season.

If you feel this rate justifies a thread of it's own, then you must as well start a thread for every resort in Phuket offering low season promotions
Old Jul 12, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by mario33
If you feel this rate justifies a thread of it's own, then you must as well start a thread for every resort in Phuket offering low season promotions
so what if he does?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:24 am

Actually, I found this thread very informative.

This is a part of the world with which I am relatively unfamiliar, so I appreciate the information.

Cheers,
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:26 am

You do realize this resort just opened on 11/1/11.
The first 4 months, the cheapest was 9000 THB + tax.
Please do tell where did you see much lower rates last year, for the dry season.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Please do tell where did you see much lower rates last year, for the dry season.
If my memory serves me right, it was around THB6,000 on spg.com and believe it or not it was available during the super peak December-January season. I didn't book it though since I wasn't looking for seclusion though it was very tempting at that rate.

FYI the Banyan Tree Phuket usually have villas promos for around BHT10,000 during the raining season. And if Naka Island is always available at BHT9,000 during the dry season, the norm in Phuket is for resorts to drop their rates by at least half during the raining season.

Last edited by mario33; Jul 12, 2012 at 9:45 am
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:59 am

If my memory serves me right, it was around THB6,000 on spg.com and believe it or not it was available during the super peak December-January season. I didn't book it though since I wasn't looking for seclusion though it was very tempting at that rate.

FYI the Banyan Tree Phuket usually have villas promos for around BHT10,000 during the raining season. And if Naka Island is always available at BHT9,000 during the dry season, the norm in Phuket is for resorts to drop their rates by at least half during the raining season.
It was avail the first month or so for the grand opening. Not always avail for 9000. After that it jumped back to 19000 THB. I was tracking this hotel at the time because I was there. Never 6000, I can tell you that.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:03 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Flews
Actually, I found this thread very informative.

This is a part of the world with which I am relatively unfamiliar, so I appreciate the information.

Cheers,
Same here. ^
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:13 am
Suspended

Never 6000, I can tell you that.
I saw it on spg.com when I was booking for my stay at the LM Phuket, and it stayed there for a few days. If I remember correctly, the special rate was only available for the lowest category villa.

And the BHT9,000 rate has always been available most of the time, hard to imagine anyone paying a BHT19,000 rate for a no view villa in Phuket during the raining season
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:15 am
Suspended

I was tracking this hotel at the time because I was there.
So what rate did you pay ? BHT19,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.