Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by HyperDude
By the way, you can walk to Tenta Nakara if desired
You can also kayak there from the Naka resort during daylight hours : it's 45 minutes paddle round the top of the island. You can't miss it : just look for the "COLD BEER" banner hoisted high in the palm trees on the beach.

It's also a welcome stopover if you're embarking on the 2 hour "kayak all around Naka Island" challenge (which I completed ).
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:13 am

breakfast

nobody here who can post pictures from the breakfast??

regards
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

No more points bookings?

When looking at this property, I get no availability for free nights or C&P and this message: "This hotel has Limited Participation in the Starwood Preferred GuestŽ program." Is this a mistake?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
Please can someone tell me if there is good snorkelling off Naka & do the resort have equipment to borrow or shall I take my own?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: SPG Pt.
Originally Posted by aphro
Please can someone tell me if there is good snorkelling off Naka & do the resort have equipment to borrow or shall I take my own?
Yes, you can borrow those equipments for free. And if you want to hire a snorkelling instructor, it's 1500thb for first hour and 750thb for every additional hour.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jpdx
When looking at this property, I get no availability for free nights or C&P and this message: "This hotel has Limited Participation in the Starwood Preferred GuestŽ program." Is this a mistake?
See my post above... because this is an all-villa property, it triggers the "no standard room" exemption, and therefore requires double the points to stay. Suites have always been 2x the standard room rate.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by DHAST
See my post above... because this is an all-villa property, it triggers the "no standard room" exemption, and therefore requires double the points to stay. Suites have always been 2x the standard room rate.
Ouch! What a shame considering that they had lots of availability and even C&P loaded in the beginning. So 40k/nt now? Yikes! That has to be one of the worst redemption deals out there (the dates I'm looking at price at 12k THB).
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by pelapela
Yes, you can borrow those equipments for free. And if you want to hire a snorkelling instructor, it's 1500thb for first hour and 750thb for every additional hour.
Thank you. Is there any coral? Good fish?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: SPG Pt.
Originally Posted by aphro
Thank you. Is there any coral? Good fish?
I did not personally try snorkelling there. I did heard that there are some nice corals and nemos out there.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:48 am

Thank you for the snorkelling comments...I will report back next month!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Snorkeling is very poor, lots of dead coral a few small fish and some crabs seen but not a place I'd go for snorkeling. They do have free equip, but I don't understand the comment about snorkeling with a snorkeling instructor sinc e the people there didn't even know how to change a snorkel from one mask to another.
It is okay and the water is warm but not very safe since kayaks, wind surfing and boats can go in the same area where one snorkels.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:29 pm

Oh no that's disappointing but not unexpected for Phuket area. I'm actually PADI openwater but like snorkelling too of course!
Anyway, are the free rental masks, snorkels, fins decent quality & various sizes? I don't think I'll bother taking my kit if there isn't a great deal to look forward to.
The snorkel guide is awfully expensive - even if it includes boat rental to take you out to a reef area.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jpdx
Ouch! What a shame considering that they had lots of availability and even C&P loaded in the beginning. So 40k/nt now? Yikes! That has to be one of the worst redemption deals out there (the dates I'm looking at price at 12k THB).
I looked at it when they had C&P... but for $300 USD, I passed. I need at least $470 in value before I redeem my points (I tend to value SPG points on the high side.) Wife and I grabbed an ocenfront pool villa at LM Khao Lak for $350 including breakfast. As nice as the Naka looks, I wasn't in the mood to be "trapped" on the island, pay the expensive transfer fees, and be captive to way overpriced food.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
aphro

I'm padi cert. also and have done a lot of diving and snorkeling so...I'd recommend taking your own mask and snorkel (I think they only had 2 and the snorkel I tried b/c mine was leaking also leaked). There were about 10 sets of fins, though which is nice. Even at high tide the water is very shallow and there are lots of rocks (and some pieces of glass) so fins and /sock booties are good. The water is very warm which leads to poor vis. b/c there is so much plankton in the area, but can see millions of tiny baby fish - but not many survive or the water would be solid fish
The best area near the beach is near the white buoy (very small and they will show it to you), they did give me a safety float when I expressed concern about kayaks - but really not necessary - I just waited until there weren't any kayaks out or any windsurfers (esp bad b/c beginners can't really control where they go)
I didn't rent a kayak or take a boat around the island, but doubt the snorkeling is better. It's just barely okay but I'd enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the island mostly and not bother with off island trips (which take hours to get to good diving or snorkeling areas).
Yes the food is expensive (by Thai standards) and I missed being able to get street food, but they give platinum's free breakfast which is quite bountiful and a drink in the bar in the evening which comes with cashews and peanuts (lots of both). They have a"tapas" menu there which are about $10 and enough for a small appetite (eg one is like a california roll). Compared to the LM Phuket the prices almost seem like a bargin!
Hope this helps
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:09 pm

Thank you so much. It really does help, estnet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.