Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by UASPG
Some Platinum guests seem to have gotten this perk, while others reported that you had to pay for it.
I'm checking in tomorrow so will confirm.

If the "free transfer" is the Plat amenity, I'll offer to pay that at 1,600 THB (recently updated on their website from 2,500 THB) and take the breakfast instead! We're there for 5 nights.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat
At the property now on a 5 night C&P stay.

Had to pay for the return boat transfer at 1,600 THB (about $50) but breakfast is a platinum amenity as is one free drink in Z bar between 5-7.

Will do a more detailed report in a few days.

In room wifi is painfully slow...so this may take a few days to post...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
We look forward to it.

I have a 6 night stay on a honeymoon coming up early March. Nervous with all of the so-so reviews, especially the comments about the terrible food.

Originally Posted by kippax
At the property now on a 5 night C&P stay.

Had to pay for the return boat transfer at 1,600 THB (about $50) but breakfast is a platinum amenity as is one free drink in Z bar between 5-7.

Will do a more detailed report in a few days.

In room wifi is painfully slow...so this may take a few days to post...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, Privium, CBP Global Entry, Delta Reserve AMEX, Delta Reserve Business AMEX
Originally Posted by reeg2
We look forward to it.

I have a 6 night stay on a honeymoon coming up early March. Nervous with all of the so-so reviews, especially the comments about the terrible food.
I am nervous as well, deadline for canceling is looming... January 18-21.

I am most worried about the food, with isolation on the island with no other options.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Arkbulldog
I am nervous as well, deadline for canceling is looming... January 18-21.

I am most worried about the food, with isolation on the island with no other options.
Was nervous too - had a C+P booked months ago for 3 nites as part of a honeymoon. I was actually supposed to check in for that today; changed it to a much cheaper C+P stay at LM Khao Lak instead, based on the so-so reviews. Boiled down to the bad food options (why you would want to limited to bad, prob pricey hotel food in thailand is beyond me) and the remoteness of the location/lack of mobility. I think it's prob a decent place if you literally want to veg out in a nice/isolated room in good weather and do nothing....we liked the looks of the rooms, but didn't think the rest of the property had much else going for it. I also didn't get the sense from the pics that it's a tremendously drop-dead gorgeous location/beach/etc.....I actually poked around on google earth to see the lay of the land, and, again, didn't seem that impressive to me. Decided to save some cash and points instead, rented a car, and will give the LM KL a shot, given the overall good reviews here and elsewhere.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:41 pm

I too cancelled our late-December stay at Naka Island after reading the bad reviews coming in. Life is too short and there are too many great beach resorts in Thailand...

Ended up staying in Samui at the W Retreat and the newly opened Conrad, both of which were wonderful.

I wonder what Naka Island's longer term pricing strategy will be. It sounds like an ok deal at their opening rates of $300usd / night, but I reckon they will relly struggle to get anything close to their standard rates of $900usd / night. For that kind of money there is very tough competition in Thailand.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wilsonnyc
Was nervous too - had a C+P booked months ago for 3 nites as part of a honeymoon. I was actually supposed to check in for that today; changed it to a much cheaper C+P stay at LM Khao Lak instead, based on the so-so reviews. Boiled down to the bad food options (why you would want to limited to bad, prob pricey hotel food in thailand is beyond me) and the remoteness of the location/lack of mobility. I think it's prob a decent place if you literally want to veg out in a nice/isolated room in good weather and do nothing....we liked the looks of the rooms, but didn't think the rest of the property had much else going for it. I also didn't get the sense from the pics that it's a tremendously drop-dead gorgeous location/beach/etc.....I actually poked around on google earth to see the lay of the land, and, again, didn't seem that impressive to me. Decided to save some cash and points instead, rented a car, and will give the LM KL a shot, given the overall good reviews here and elsewhere.
I suspect you'll like the LMKL. And since you're into Thai food, you'll really like the nearby restaurants on the beach within walking distance.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I suspect you'll like the LMKL. And since you're into Thai food, you'll really like the nearby restaurants on the beach within walking distance.
Excellent. We just checked in, didn't get a great upgrade, but a good room i guess. Staff has been nice thus far - this place is a lot bigger than expected.

At the risk of getting off topic (apologies, mods) - any good recs for spots on the beach?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm giving very serious consideration to switching to Koh Samui and going with the new Meridien property. It looks very nice and is 50% of the price (in terms of points). Air fare is close enough to identical. Phuket probably has more to do, but if it is going to be difficult and expensive to get off Naka, then that doesn't really matter much. I think Samui will give us the opportunity to eat outside the restaurant when we want, do some diving and allow for plenty of lounging around time.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:47 am

pictures; food etc.

hello,
i booked to stay at the naka island in april 16days! :-)
can someone who stayed there before post some picture especially of the food :-)

also i look forward about any other information about the NAKA.

thx

Last edited by hhburger; Jan 7, 2012 at 3:58 am
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: SPG Platinum Marriott Gold EK Gold
Originally Posted by hhburger
hello,
i booked to stay at the naka island in april 16days! :-)
can someone who stayed there before post some picture especially of the food :-)

also i look forward about any other information about the NAKA.

thx
I' going to stay The Naka Island for 3 days beginning 03/08/2012 (tomorrow).
May be I can help you.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:47 am

hello,
16days! :-)
thx
16 days?! That seems like a long time to spend somewhere so remote. Hope you have some great books
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Astrasss
I' going to stay The Naka Island for 3 days beginning 03/08/2012 (tomorrow).
May be I can help you.
that sounds good! :-)
i wish you a great stay at the NAKA.
which kind villa you have booked? tropical, sea view...

I'm very excited on your photos and comments.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum Marriott Gold EK Gold
that sounds good! :-)
i wish you a great stay at the NAKA.
which kind villa you have booked? tropical, sea view...

I'm very excited on your photos and comments.
I've booked a tropical villa with pool, and they upgraded
me in advance to Sunrise villa. But it seems that there is no big difference between villas exept Gorizon villa)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:45 am

hey astrasss,

how was your stay at the NAKA?
i sent you a private message!

Originally Posted by Astrasss
I've booked a tropical villa with pool, and they upgraded
me in advance to Sunrise villa. But it seems that there is no big difference between villas exept Gorizon villa)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.