Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 4:44 pm

Booked here through a BRG via otels.com (thanks rooivalk! ^) to a seaview pool villa. Anyone know if there is a decent chance at an upgrade to the beachfront pool villa? Will be here at start of July for 3 nights.
Old May 15, 2013, 5:28 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Call the property and request a couple of days before arrival.

We had Villa 48 and it was very well located - so feel free to use that number.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by nittany987
Booked here through a BRG via otels.com (thanks rooivalk! ^) to a seaview pool villa. Anyone know if there is a decent chance at an upgrade to the beachfront pool villa? Will be here at start of July for 3 nights.
Warning and apology for rambling thoughts after our stay here

Given that my S/O and I wanted privacy more than anything, we weren't sure we wanted the beach villas, so didn't bother requesting them ahead of time. When we showed up, we got our booked room with no mention of upgrade, which I was okay with and didn't press, despite the 30% occupancy rate.

Getting there is a bit of a hassle given the HKT- Ao Po marina leg + boat transfer + golf cart ride. We used hotel arranged transportation to/from airport (Camry) for 1200 thb each way, which struck me as fairly reasonable. That was fine, although the return way was in a car that obviously was smoked regularly in. No big deal, and the transportation went smoothly. But you definitely feel "isolated" on the island and it's not very convenient if you are trying to get to stuff on Phuket. I'd definitely recommend just staying on Naka.

As for the stay, my perception may be clouded based on our weather (rained everyday, most of the day) and the low occupancy/season. There were areas in the resort, especially the less-traveled paths, that seemed to have been disturbed by some storms that were just left as-is. One in particular was off the entrance road, where we saw plastic banner ads strewn across the path with plant detritus. The beach was similarly rough around the edges. The staircase from the beach to the villa area was pretty dirty and had lots of friendly occupants in the form of brown ants.

One of the general themes (and charms) of this place is that it feels much more rustic/natural than, say, the Conrad Koh Samui. However, that is a double-edge sword. The villa's pool had a decent amount of leaves and worms, etc. The outdoor style bathroom and shower is screened in and prevents most wildlife from joining in, but bugs and lizards do make occasional appearances. I loved the outdoor bathtub, where I could gaze on the water while reading and enjoying a cigar.

Food was hit or miss. Breakfast (free) included a big spread and eggs cooked to order. No complaints. The restaurants were empty at lunch and dinner, so we stuck mostly to room service. It wasn't particularly speedy, and there were several mix ups (probably a language barrier). The food is expensive for what it is, but that's kind of what I expected.

The resort seemed a little low on staff, I'm sure owing to the low occupancy. The activities area by the water was not staffed and we weren't sure how to go about getting kayaks. We had to hunt down someone by the pool who told us we couldn't go because of the rain. Given that you have to sign waivers, I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense given that it was raining everyday, but oh well.

The biggest gripe we had was our toilet. We were only there for 3 days, but had to call to get it serviced 5 times. Each time, shortly after housekeeping/maintenance left, the toilet would quit working again. One time, the folks on the phone told us the maintenance people would come to fix it, but it could take several hours with people going in and out constantly, accompanied by "loud banging". We were advised that we should maybe get out of the villa during this time. Given that it was pouring rain, I'm not sure where we should have gone... In the afternoon before we left, we called again about the toilet and a different housekeeping request, which was evidently forgotten or ignored, as no one ever came. Given the obviously broken toilet and low occupancy, I'm a little confused as to why we were not moved villas.

I had pretty high expectations, and it probably didn't help that we were coming straight from the Conrad on Samui. I felt like it didn't quite measure up to the billing. I'm glad we booked it via a cheap BRG rate, as the prevailing rate seems high for what you get, at least in the rainy season. Similarly, I'd think long and hard before forking over the cache of points required. That said, we did have a relaxing time, enjoying views of the sea and rain while knocking out our books.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Is 13,000 THB/night a good price for this hotel for a stay in mid-May? This is for a tropical pool villa.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
So, I'm looking for a nice beach resort for the end of a business trip from 3/2 - 3/6. Thought I had found the perfect spot.

62,500 points per night so 250,000 points for a five night stay with 5th night free. Best flexible rate that I've found is THB22,434.30 or THB 112,171.50 for the five nights. They have a decent prepaid rate of about $475 U.S. that includes breakfast and water transport but I can't book a prepaid rate because of uncertainties in my schedule.

Any thoughts/suggestions on either finding a better rate or recommend a different property?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:07 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by bigjim
So, I'm looking for a nice beach resort for the end of a business trip from 3/2 - 3/6. Thought I had found the perfect spot.

62,500 points per night so 250,000 points for a five night stay with 5th night free. Best flexible rate that I've found is THB22,434.30 or THB 112,171.50 for the five nights. They have a decent prepaid rate of about $475 U.S. that includes breakfast and water transport but I can't book a prepaid rate because of uncertainties in my schedule.

Any thoughts/suggestions on either finding a better rate or recommend a different property?
I haven't stayed at the property so may be wrong but we looked at staying when it had opened as we love Thai beach holidays, but from various Tripadvisor reviews amongst others we felt it is too isolaged (which may be fine for some) but if it raining there is absolutely nothing else to do. Also the cost of getting 'off the island is crazy'. We enjoy eating in local beach restaurants along with hotel dining but this option is not available at the hotel, you are a captive audience. Also have heard the beach is nothing special, if I were to be holed up on a private island I would definitely want a gorgeous beach. There are so many other nice resorts in that part of Thailand, Indigo Blue, Banyan Tree, Rayavadee (oh if only that could return to starwood) that couldn't justify the cost and risk of being disappointed.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by fdemoulin
I haven't stayed at the property so may be wrong but we looked at staying when it had opened as we love Thai beach holidays, but from various Tripadvisor reviews amongst others we felt it is too isolaged (which may be fine for some) but if it raining there is absolutely nothing else to do. Also the cost of getting 'off the island is crazy'. We enjoy eating in local beach restaurants along with hotel dining but this option is not available at the hotel, you are a captive audience. Also have heard the beach is nothing special, if I were to be holed up on a private island I would definitely want a gorgeous beach. There are so many other nice resorts in that part of Thailand, Indigo Blue, Banyan Tree, Rayavadee (oh if only that could return to starwood) that couldn't justify the cost and risk of being disappointed.
Understand completely...are there any Starwood, Hilton or Marriott resorts in Thailand that you would recommend?

Last edited by bigjim; Dec 31, 2013 at 2:00 pm Reason: to add Hilton and Marriott
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

Wow, that's a lot of points!

Originally Posted by fdemoulin
This is consistent with my impression of the property, though the huge caveat here is that I haven't been there either.

Understand completely...are there any Starwood resorts in Thailand that you would recommend?
I'm a really big fan of Le Meridien Khao Lak, about a $45 and 75 minute drive away from the Phuket Airport, in a comfortable air conditioned taxi or hotel car (though perhaps a bit more expensive) on good roads. Probably not as swank a property as Naka, but one of my wife's and my favorite vacations ever. Pretty property with buildings just three stories tall, with great, inexpensive open air restaurants and massage shacks within easy walking distance along the beach. And the beach is really, really long, if you like long walks or runs. The beach is not completely developed either, which is nice.

Not a party scene at all, but great for single folks, couples or families looking for a relaxed, fairly quiet place. If you go, ask for a top floor room in the spa section (as opposed to the family section) if alone or a couple. The basic rooms are fine and would cost only a fraction of Naka in terms of either points or cash. Even the suites there would cost fewer points and quite possibly less $$ than Naka.

Not sure of all of the Plat perks, but at least when we went (as just a Gold back then) we got a nice upgrade. Plus I believe the Plats can have their complimentary breakfasts in a different place than the rest of the guests.

It's unfortunately leaving Starwood in January 2015, so the opportunity to stay there on points or as an SPG member is unfortunately going out the door.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Dec 31, 2013 at 1:01 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Update for this place
Only few staff from previously six sense staff(on 08/2014 a lot of them 50+% still here)
Platinum benefits
-Upgrade 1 category (Tropical pool to Seaview pool)
-Breakfast
-Wifi
-2 drinks / day at Z bar
-500 *point or local gift
A lot of instant award(not worth)
will be update later
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:13 pm

This place is participate in SPG Kid pass (400 THB/day MUST PAY IN all day of stay)
Kid pass benefit apply only lunch or dinner not include breakfast (490+++ THB) in children 3 Yr+1day to 12 years
Extrabed cost 2700+++ THB(not include breakfast) or 3500+++ THB include breakfast
If 2 children in same room 1 is free apply with sofabed another will apply for regular extrabed
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:10 am

Internet speed is fluctuate
DL/UL 1-7/1-7 depend on time of use (1/1 found on daytime)
Frequent found F&B manager on Tonsai restaurant with good service and help restaurant staff to service guest
Found Room manager (come from St.Regis BKK)
Found Experience manager on Z-bar,Tonsai restaurant
Found Front office manager at conceirge(come from westin siray)

Breakfast are improve from previous stay
but dish and glass with earth tone/six sense style was replace 80+% to standard white dish (loss of unique)

New !! Kids game room
They have small ball pool, 1 wii ,1 ps2 or 3 (i'm not sure)

sorry for my poor english

Last edited by nongsom; Apr 10, 2014 at 11:15 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A friend of mine was in Phuket yesterday and wanted entertaining so we had a one night stay at the Naka Island. The reviews on FT were a bit underwhelming so I had fairly moderate expectations, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

We booked one of the "minor" poolside villas, but on check-in were upgraded to a Beachfront poolside villa (#66).

I've stayed in some great hotel rooms from giant city suites through to Maldivian overwater villas and Safari tents, but I actually think the Naka Island Beachfront villa is the most impressive I've yet seen in hotel. Really spectacular, and for below what I've paid for nights at Ws in New York.

Just metres from a generally empty beach, we had a completely private front deck area with a decent sized pool, a couple of thai loungers and a sofa. Inside there is a main bedroom with just the basics, then a non-air conditioned area with a toilet room, a steam room with shower, a full sauna, a large two person open air bath and an open air shower. Pretty awesome, really.

Service in general was competent, fast and friendly. It wasn't Aman/ Four Seasons level and they got a few things wrong, but nothing that particularly irritated me and service recovery was always particularly proactive and keen.

The two most memorable being that the hotel BMW 7 driver dropped us off at the wrong pier, meaning I ended up negotiating a longtail trip to the island with a Thai fisherman (I enjoyed it, other less experienced travellers might have freaked out, or presumably would just have called the hotel). The second was the service desk just not delivering champagne and preparing the bath for the time I asked (I didn't understand the logic given). In the end we were hungry and went for dinner - the one moment my guest was out of earshot one of the waiting staff came over to reassure me that the villa was now ready. The rose-scented bath and champagne were definitely worth the wait, and moving on to a private steam room in Thailand when the water got cold was just surreal.

We didn't see much outside of our villa, but the rest of the island covers the basics without being spectacular. There's a decent enough swimming pool with a couple of okish restaurants and a bar where you're encouraged to see the sunset from, though ironically there are trees meaning it's the one place on the that side of the island you can't actually see the sunset.

Overall though, I'd strongly recommend the Naka Island to anyone unlucky enough to find themselves in Phuket. For a romantic, slightly rustic but "pimped out" experience I've not seen anything in SPG that can compete with Naka.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A friend of mine was in Phuket yesterday and wanted entertaining so we had a one night stay at the Naka Island. The reviews on FT were a bit underwhelming so I had fairly moderate expectations, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

We booked one of the "minor" poolside villas, but on check-in were upgraded to a Beachfront poolside villa (#66).

I've stayed in some great hotel rooms from giant city suites through to Maldivian overwater villas and Safari tents, but I actually think the Naka Island Beachfront villa is the most impressive I've yet seen in hotel. Really spectacular, and for below what I've paid for nights at Ws in New York.

Just metres from a generally empty beach, we had a completely private front deck area with a decent sized pool, a couple of thai loungers and a sofa. Inside there is a main bedroom with just the basics, then a non-air conditioned area with a toilet room, a steam room with shower, a full sauna, a large two person open air bath and an open air shower. Pretty awesome, really.

Service in general was competent, fast and friendly. It wasn't Aman/ Four Seasons level and they got a few things wrong, but nothing that particularly irritated me and service recovery was always particularly proactive and keen.

The two most memorable being that the hotel BMW 7 driver dropped us off at the wrong pier, meaning I ended up negotiating a longtail trip to the island with a Thai fisherman (I enjoyed it, other less experienced travellers might have freaked out, or presumably would just have called the hotel). The second was the service desk just not delivering champagne and preparing the bath for the time I asked (I didn't understand the logic given). In the end we were hungry and went for dinner - the one moment my guest was out of earshot one of the waiting staff came over to reassure me that the villa was now ready. The rose-scented bath and champagne were definitely worth the wait, and moving on to a private steam room in Thailand when the water got cold was just surreal.

We didn't see much outside of our villa, but the rest of the island covers the basics without being spectacular. There's a decent enough swimming pool with a couple of okish restaurants and a bar where you're encouraged to see the sunset from, though ironically there are trees meaning it's the one place on the that side of the island you can't actually see the sunset.

Overall though, I'd strongly recommend the Naka Island to anyone unlucky enough to find themselves in Phuket. For a romantic, slightly rustic but "pimped out" experience I've not seen anything in SPG that can compete with Naka.
Great review - always nice to see good writers post reviews. ^
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Do the SPG Member-Only Hot Escape rates include the roundtrip speedboat transfer to/from the hotel upon arrival and departure?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Cuse44
Do the SPG Member-Only Hot Escape rates include the roundtrip speedboat transfer to/from the hotel upon arrival and departure?
I'm pretty sure that's a complimentary service, though you'll need to get yourself to the pier which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.