Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Congrats in advance for the wedding.

You posted a fair summary of Naka Island. The plunge pools are cool, but I also really liked the steam room and the little outdoor bath - all perfect for a romantic time.

The food is a bit mediocre on Naka Island, but you could always pop out to the mainland for an evening and find a local restaurant. The quality of food in Thailand in general is fantastic and so you're probably rarely more than 5min away from a memorable meal. Most Thai food is quite simple and so doesn't always fit well with upmarket hotels catering to foreigners. The Metropolitan in Bangkok hosts Nahm which has a reputation for being the world's best Thai restaurant.

If you are willing to skip the globally branded hotels you can get beautiful properties with private pools for quite little money. One I happen to know is Anankhira on Koh Tao (2hrs ferry from Koh Samui) where you can rent a private villa on a hill overlooking the sea with its own pool for less than $200 a night. You won't get Four Seasons service levels or toiletries, but the hardware is there if you want value. There are countless others on both the mainland and on the islands.

In terms of being a gay couple in Asia, the tourist parts of the region in general tend to be pretty accepting nowadays. If you don't know the region I might skip the Muslim areas of Thailand and remote Indonesia, but I think it's unlikely you'll face many issues.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by bgriff
Planning a honeymoon and considering a stay here for a few nights (as part of a bigger trip with other stops) in the December-January timeframe. Have been to the region (all business trips) but never to Thailand nor to any beach resorts in the region.
Congratulation for your wedding

As I understand it from the thread, major downsides to this property seem to be that there isn't much to do other than relax and that the food isn't very good and is overpriced.

In my case, the lack of activities is not a problem given the type of trip (and we will also have other stops on the trip in cities with much more to do), and willing to splurge a bit so high prices is not a total dealbreaker, but bad food could be.
IMO food is better than first year that they change from sixsense to starwood.
IIRC food is same price range in other SPG hotel not more than 20% of other SPG hotel in thailand.

Would be curious for any thoughts on:
1. Has the food gotten any better since the early reviews? Any thoughts on SPG resort properties in Thailand with notably good food? Not-great food seems to be a recurring theme across many of the properties, though at least some others allow easier access to non-resort restaurants than this one does.
Access to non-resort restaurants need to walk est. 15 mins (Daytime only) to local village

2. Private plunge pool is a must, and one of the things that attracted me to this property -- I'm willing to spend a bit extra to get it if going for a resort that only has it in some rooms, like the Westin Siray Bay, though no more than say $500/night. Any other properties I should be considering (including elsewhere in Thailand)? Have also looked at Koh Samui and there are some very nice options but also seem to be more expensive, likely prohibitively so. Also open to using points if the value is there, but doesn't seem to be great uses of points at any of these higher-end properties, so will probably save points for hotels in other destinations on the trip.
Vana belle Koh Samui
-If only need plunge pool pool suites is enough but recommend Grand pool suites.
-Breakfast in Vana belle is much better than naka island.
-Beach quality is better than naka island.

Dec/Jan is high season not recommend for use points

3. Anywhere else in the region worth considering? We are a gay couple so my sense is that Thailand is probably the best bet in that region -- that said not really looking for nightlife or anything like that, more just want somewhere that minimizes the chances of having any awkward encounters.
I'm not sure about this topic but base on my knowlage
Bangkok ?
-Le meridien bangkok (silom)
Pattaya ?
-Sheraton pattaya is isolate from city/nightlife area
IMO i didn't see any awkward encounters for gay in thailand.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:05 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Thanks both for your thoughts. Agree the Vana Belle definitely looks beautiful but probably also a bit outside the target budget. Will have to think about whether it is worth stretching a bit. And something like the Anankhira could be interesting, definitely saves a lot of $ vs. the big-name route.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:13 pm

Has anyone been here recently? Are the rooms still very buggy? I'm currently booked into a tropical pool villa. Is there anywhere to put a crib besides the bedroom, such as a big closet or hallway or something?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by avadah
Has anyone been here recently? Are the rooms still very buggy? I'm currently booked into a tropical pool villa. Is there anywhere to put a crib besides the bedroom, such as a big closet or hallway or something?
Every time that i stay hear didn't have bug problem inside room.
However at outside in morning ,evening they have many mosquito.
Hotel also provide anti mosquito spray(complimentary) for spray on your body in room.
Out side bedroom are no AC available so if your kid don't require cool air to sleep it possible to put crib at outside bed room.
I never see they crib so it hardly to make any recommend maybe you need to email to ask hotel.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: SPG, Etihad Guest, EK Skyawards, Thai ROP, MR Silver
Please be aware of a recent issue that appears to be developing on Naka.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/luxury-...dispute-22653/

These jetskis have caused many a problem in Patong where unscrupulous operators rip tourists off with vastly inflated bills for ''damage''
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Here now in a beachfront with no pool. Underwhelmed. Maybe I should see if I can use points and upgrade in the morning.
I thought that this was an "all pool villa" resort ?

I've reserved a Tropical Pool Villa for November, from what I see on the website it has a rather nice looking pool

Any recent feedback on the "pool situation" ?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, CX DM, HHonors DM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
I stayed there back in 2013 - I think for the beachfront villas there is only one villa without a pool (towards the very end of the road for beachfront villas). I've stayed at the beachfront pool villa next to the "pool-less" villa but I personally prefer to head out to the beach (which is literally steps away). The beach is always very private (esp. towards the farther end where I stayed) and I didn't use the pool much (thought it was a bit small). Hope this helps!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:47 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
There are just two of these. I was assigned one and moved the next day. I wanted the pool.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
There are just two of these. I was assigned one and moved the next day. I wanted the pool.
Phew !!

Thanks so much for clarifying
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Anybody happen to know how clean the beach and water is at the resort? Not sure if the season matters, but I'm thinking of going there in January.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I booked a Tropical Vila with NO POOL.

How likely am I to be upgraded to a room WITH a pool as a Platinum?

The hotel wrote to me:

With regard to room type, first of all please allow us to reconfirm that your current room type does not come with private swimming pool. However, this room is surrounded by tropical gardens and it takes only few minutes walk/bicycle to the resort pool and main facilities. If you prefer villa with swimming pool, we are pleased to offer an upgrade to Tropical Pool Villa with supplementary at THB 1,500 , per room per night subject to 18.7% taxes additional to your current rate.

So they're asking for about $45 for an upgrade to a pool villa.

Is this a money-grabbing exercise or worthwhile paying for?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:20 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket

So they're asking for about $45 for an upgrade to a pool villa.

Is this a money-grabbing exercise or worthwhile paying for?

Depends if you're happy in the room you booked, or if you want the higher category one....

Only you can answer that one.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:39 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
There are only two non pool villas. I insisted on a move and don't think I paid extra.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:46 pm

There are only two non pool villas. I insisted on a move and don't think I paid extra.
So I just made a reservation here, it says plunge pool in my reservation, however, I see some didn't get a pool. Is there a way to know if you will get one of these rooms? Would it be clearly stated in the reservation?

Thanks for any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.