Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Here now. Love the place. Good Platinum benefits especially compared to some other SPG resorts in Thailand like the awful Sheraton Samui. Highlights for me:

1. Staying in high season so no sea view upgrade however check-in was very apologetic about this and they have given me an enhanced view garden room (sea's in the distance). It's what I paid for so I'm happy. Interestingly, the villas are not all as private as you'd imagine and some of the pool areas are quite open to passers by/voyeurs on the pavement or beach.

2. Unlimited speed boat transfers at 30 minutes notice. This is great compared to the cost for normal guests. In practice, we didn't use it...

3. 4pm-6pm Platinum happy hour at the bar unavailable to normal guests. Freeflow quality cocktails and wine watching the sun go down. Check in was enthusiastic about this benefit. We are too. Great. And the primary reason I'd choose this resort rather than others in the area.

4. Breakfast spread is great with made-to-order cooked dishes and a quality buffet. Plus! Two types of sparkling wine and make-your-own bloody marys. Freeflow. A second reason I'd come back.

5. Villa (we're in number 16) is extensive and a fun/interesting layout. We used the steam room because it's there. Loved the soap. Smells great. Made sure we packed a few of those away.

6. Refurbishment of villa roofs is underway with a few villas already done. They're replacing the thatch with a tiled look. It looks smart although not so rustic.

7. We got a third party transfer from the airport for 600 Baht (I've used SRC Travel for this many times in Phuket). The driver phoned the resort to get directions and let them know we're coming so the handover to the speedboat was seamless. However, he still managed to miss the turning to the marina and had to phone again, turn round and backtrack a bit to find it. To be fair, I didn't see any clear signposts to the marina so maybe this is a recurrent problem. Just print out the map on the resort web site and make sure your driver phones the resort for directions.

8. On advice from FTers, we asked to stop at a 7-11 and stocked up on beer, diet coke and instant noodles for the odd cheap meal. Unless you're completely impervious to cost/value then this is the best advice I can give you.

9. We walked out of the resort towards the village (you can get bikes too). The first settlement you reach is a row of three new tourist huts and a new tourist restaurant run by a local who used to work at the resort. We had lunch there. I'd recommend it. Very clean and nicely presented Thai food. We had chicken satay, green curry and a large fried fish with two cokes for 950 Baht which isn't cheap for local food and is clearly not aimed at anyone local but it was good quality and we didn't feel cheated. You can buy soft drinks here but no alcohol/beer.

10. This resort is a credit to Starwood and has justly rewarded my loyalty as an SPG Platinum. If only all SPG hotels had this attitude and realised this is why we book them. Thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:29 am

We are thinking about going to Naka Island or "The Surin" with it's beautiful beach shared with Amanpuri again.

I can't seem to find much information about the quality of the beach on Naka Island. Is it rocky? Bad at low tide? Marvelous?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Naka island Beach is sugar+powder sand quality and few small rocks on they BeachHowever if you don't mind to go another side of Iceland that need 30 min walk.Those Beach is powder quality sand.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by nongsom
Naka island Beach is sugar+powder sand quality and few small rocks on they BeachHowever if you don't mind to go another side of Iceland that need 30 min walk.Those Beach is powder quality sand.
REally? When I was there a few years ago the beach was full of rocks, pieces of broken bricks/shingles and motorized water sport activities without any regard for swimmer/snorklers. Hope you're right that things have changed that much for the better!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I've been there few years ago.

IIRC, the beach there is not spectacular, just fine and not suitable for snorkeling or swimming anyway.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:07 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Considering finishing a one week stay at the Westin Siray Bay with 3 nights here.

Looking at the videos and photos the rooms seem to be studios, but with expansive outdoor areas. Is that accurate?

We generally stay in suites so we watch Netflix at night but that doesn't look comfortable here...

Also considering The Naka Phuket or Casa Del Flora.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
What would be uncomfortable about watching Netflix in this hotel? For the most part they are all large rooms with a backyard with a private pool.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:28 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yosithezet
What would be uncomfortable about watching Netflix in this hotel? For the most part they are all large rooms with a backyard with a private pool.
There's no separate lounge rooms, i.e. a studio.

We settled on a Pool Villa at the FS Hoi An instead.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Villas with best view?

We will be staying at Naka Island later this year and have reserved a seaview pool villa. We would also like a private sala. I have a map of the property and have read a few reviews of specific villas and it seems like villa numbers 45,46,47 are said to have the best views? These are the three villas to the left of the Royal Horizon Pool villa. But they are close to the Z bar. We would prefer something more secluded. Am curious if anyone has a preferred villa to recommend. Thank you!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:57 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by entrada
We will be staying at Naka Island later this year and have reserved a seaview pool villa. We would also like a private sala. I have a map of the property and have read a few reviews of specific villas and it seems like villa numbers 45,46,47 are said to have the best views? These are the three villas to the left of the Royal Horizon Pool villa. But they are close to the Z bar. We would prefer something more secluded. Am curious if anyone has a preferred villa to recommend. Thank you!
I find these requests are better sent to the hotel in a simple, but clear email. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:17 pm

Hi All,

Cruising these boards and I have a bit of a choice to make. I am a Marriott Associate and will be in phuket for 5 nights. I'm wanting to stay at either the Naka Island Resort or JW Khao Lak. I'm having a tough time deciding what to do, any advice?

Dates in Phuket Nov 27 - Dec 2
Price isn't an issue as I get associate discount at each property
Hoping to relax, swim and hang at beach, maybe one day of site seeing

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:12 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
If you are looking for some seclusion, relaxation, privacy then Naka Island is perfect.

If you also want a small town, long beach to walk along, waterfalls not far away, then Khao Lak and rent a car.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
If you are looking for some seclusion, relaxation, privacy then Naka Island is perfect.

If you also want a small town, long beach to walk along, waterfalls not far away, then Khao Lak and rent a car.
that doesn't make it any easier, haha. I want all of that.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTP
Tough call. I have stayed at both, and they are both fabulous IMO.

JWKL is larger, perhaps more efficiently run, and has more amenities (more restaurants including some great off-property beach huts close by, squash court, tennis court, basketball, excellent pool). I travelled here on a TravelZoo special which included daily massages, which may have inflated my opinion of the property... ;-)

Naka Island is quite different, smaller and unique. We found service here to be a bit spotty, especially at checkout which was a gong show. Perhaps they have resolved these issues now, as we went closer to when the property first opened. There are less food options unless you are willing to leave the island. Great beach on the other side of the island. I did not have SPG status when I stayed here, so booked the beachfront pool villa that we wanted, and it was truly a beautiful and unique experience. I hear they treat Plats well here.

I yearn to go back to both properties, but I had to choose only one, I think I would go back to Naka as I feel that it was a more unique and romantic property (and I am Platinum now...)

You'll have a great trip either way!

Originally Posted by calguy77
Hi All,

Cruising these boards and I have a bit of a choice to make. I am a Marriott Associate and will be in phuket for 5 nights. I'm wanting to stay at either the Naka Island Resort or JW Khao Lak. I'm having a tough time deciding what to do, any advice?

Dates in Phuket Nov 27 - Dec 2
Price isn't an issue as I get associate discount at each property
Hoping to relax, swim and hang at beach, maybe one day of site seeing

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: LH LT SEN, Bonvoy Titanium (former SPG Plat) + LTP
Did any SPG Plat member stay here recently?

if yes, which Platinum amenities were offered? (upgrade? happy hour? etc.)

Thanks for any info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.