Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

The Naka Island Resort, Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:04 pm
MKB
Original Poster

When I try to upload, I get "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."

I'll see if I can find somewhere else to put the pictures. Problem is they're each > 3Mb, so will need downsizing...
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, SPG - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Diamond
Thanks for your review. I have anxiously been following information about this hotel as my wife and I are travelling here at the end of this month as part of our honeymoon.

In a previous post some Platinum benefits were noted that included drinks and a view upgrade. By any chance was breakfast provided as a platinum benefit? I know that at all other SPG hotels in Thailand breakfast seems to be a standard benefit but I have not seen mention of it with regards to this hotel.

My wife and I are will be staying on C+P for 3 nights and paid one night (the paid night includes transfers and breakfast), I am hoping as a Plat we will get breakfast for the other days as well.

Also if anyone could provide details on the approx. cost of meals/spa activities that would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:49 am
MKB
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LSE_Travel787
Thanks for your review. I have anxiously been following information about this hotel as my wife and I are travelling here at the end of this month as part of our honeymoon.

In a previous post some Platinum benefits were noted that included drinks and a view upgrade. By any chance was breakfast provided as a platinum benefit? I know that at all other SPG hotels in Thailand breakfast seems to be a standard benefit but I have not seen mention of it with regards to this hotel.

My wife and I are will be staying on C+P for 3 nights and paid one night (the paid night includes transfers and breakfast), I am hoping as a Plat we will get breakfast for the other days as well.

Also if anyone could provide details on the approx. cost of meals/spa activities that would be much appreciated.
Don't know about breakfast for Platinums as we were on the Island Escape rate that included it.

A 60-minute massage was 2950 Baht + 17% for taxes and service. This hotel was trying to encourage a gratuity on top of that! All British and Australian written guides to Thailand make clear that this is really not necessary. It's a shame that American attitudes are changing a very polite, friendly and noticeably non-mercenary population.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by MKB
There are two bolts on the door from the bedroom to the front garden with the pool, one at the bottom and one at the top, so you use that to prevent toddler access.

There is another route to the pool via the entrance door to the bedroom. You could lock this. The lock is at about 1m height from the ground, so probably not reachable by a toddler.

However, the desk area in the room is sunken. Your seat at the desk is at the same height as the floor of the rest of the room. There is the possibility that a toddler could fall into this area. You would need to get a guard put round this.
Thanks for the info! At least I won't worry about the toddler wandering off while we sleep! We can probably stuff some extra pillows in that sunken area.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
the reservation agent told me that 65 of 67 accommodations are pool villa, the other two are villa without pool.
if naka now has 2 non pool villas, that means the pools were removed... absolutely bizarre. unless they converted 2BRs into 2 1BR?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:07 am
MKB
Original Poster

I managed to get some pictures loaded on to Flyertalk, but the required size and resolution were such that the detail in the resultant images was very poor.

Instead, I've set up a Picasa account and posted some pics there. This is my first go, so let me know if I've done something wrong and you can't access them.

Link: https://picasaweb.google.com/1008115...eat=directlink
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by MKB
I managed to get some pictures loaded on to Flyertalk, but the required size and resolution were such that the detail in the resultant images was very poor.

Instead, I've set up a Picasa account and posted some pics there. This is my first go, so let me know if I've done something wrong and you can't access them.

Link: https://picasaweb.google.com/1008115...eat=directlink
Wow - great - thanks so much for the pictures. They fill in some of the blanks for me, and are much appreciated.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:23 am
MKB
Original Poster

Regarding the non-pool villas, the image of the resort map I've posted would suggest that villas 18, 20, 67 and 69 are pool-less.

I think villas 65-69 are the beachfront ones, as these are the only ones at beach level. All of the others are much higher up, with the central ones higher still.

Villa 44 would be the Royal Horizon villa I think. Depending on how many people this can accommodate, it could be a very good deal for an extended family. It appears to have a huge pool.

From about level with villa 36 and south, there is a coconut grove between the edge of the property and the sea. The trees here are sufficiently tall here that I doubt any of the villas 1-7, and 19-36 have anything other than a garden view.

The second pool is the building between villas 6 and 64 but this was not yet open.

There are stairs to the beach between villas 59 and 60 and between villas 53 and 54, as well as from the Z Bar.

Across from the Welcome Sala, there is a large gong they ask arriving and departing guests to strike and make a wish, which is a fun touch.
Mae Zieg likes this.

Last edited by MKB; Nov 8, 2011 at 7:05 am
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great pics. ^

Originally Posted by MKB
non-pool villas, the image of the resort map I've posted would suggest that villas 18, 67 and 69 are pool-less.
18 20 67 69 = originally suite/2BR
i wonder if they are adding pools...

Originally Posted by MKB
Villa 44 would be the Royal Horizon villa I think. Depending on how many people this can accommodate, it could be a very good deal for an extended family. It appears to have a huge pool.
correct. 3BR + 2 adjoining villas. 2500m2. (regular is 450m2)
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7676/6six6.jpg
http://www.kurtzahlers.com/pdf/SixSe...ndRetreats.pdf pages 55-59

Originally Posted by MKB
The second pool is the building between villas 6 and 64 but this was not yet open.
originally enclave communal area for surrounding 6 villas (1 2 3 5 6 7)

no 4 or 13 - bad luck?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:37 am
EAK

Programs: SPG Gold, Singapore Airlines PPS, LHW
Just arrived

Just checked in and will provide more info later. So far so good. Staying in Garden Pool Villa. Looks exactly same as seaview from layout etc., just view is of trees instead of oacean. After staying three nights at the Anantara Resort in Phuket its feels a bit rustic.

Think they could have done a much better job with the layout. There is a rather larger backyard between bedroom and bathroom area that doesn't serve much of a purpose. Should instead have invested this space into making bedroom or the useable outdorr space larger, I think.

Arrival was ok. We arived at same time as two other guests and were at the back of the golf buggy which drove us around, as other guests in front and when the resort girl pointed out the key places of interest along the way this was rather difficult to follow from the back and did not feel very special welcome...

More details to follow.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by EAK
Just checked in and will provide more info later. So far so good. Staying in Garden Pool Villa. Looks exactly same as seaview from layout etc., just view is of trees instead of oacean. After staying three nights at the Anantara Resort in Phuket its feels a bit rustic.

Think they could have done a much better job with the layout. There is a rather larger backyard between bedroom and bathroom area that doesn't serve much of a purpose. Should instead have invested this space into making bedroom or the useable outdorr space larger, I think.

Arrival was ok. We arived at same time as two other guests and were at the back of the golf buggy which drove us around, as other guests in front and when the resort girl pointed out the key places of interest along the way this was rather difficult to follow from the back and did not feel very special welcome...

More details to follow.
Hrmmmm.... now I am questioning my pre-xmas stay at The Naka. Currently booked in from 21st-24th December but wondering if there are better options in Phuket or Khao Lak for $400 / night e.g. Sarojin

Looking forward to hearing more!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:03 am
MKB
Original Poster

I forgot a little detail from my stay. Sat in front of me, now back home in England, is a golden one-foot high cuddly elephant that was brought to the room at turndown as a gift.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:05 am
MKB
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
18 20 67 69 = originally suite/2BR
You're right, I missed 20. I've corrected my previous post.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Ambassador
any platinum experiences at this property? what kind of platinum treatment did you receive? cheers.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:25 am
MKB
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wudaokouan
any platinum experiences at this property? what kind of platinum treatment did you receive? cheers.
See post 27

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.