Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 6:24 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
+1.

I wish it was more like the FD thread and treated in the same way.

But bloggers still feel the need to expose those too....
I agree.

Bloggers do expose FD, but it is way more work to find new FD deals because all of the messages are coded on trick it. Finding new MS techniques not known by Boxes and Arrows is just as hard as finding ways to avoid YQ. The time investment to find FD would be better spent on a second job. But we're too dumb to not code our new findings and then Boxes and Arrows kills it.

The coding has to be strict. The LM trick it died due to a blogger and the coding was very sloppy towards the end. The mods have to enforce the coding, or we should probably move somewhere a mod is willing to enforce the coding.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
I agree, the cards even say debit on them. theres no legal way WM can force these to run/be only accepted as credit.

who's thinking lawsuit? and where's randy petersen when you need him.
I don't think it would be in the debit card industry's best interest to have this shut down. More than 60 Billion was loaded to debit cards in 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/yo...unts.html?_r=0
Old May 30, 2014, 6:37 pm
Original Member

Thanks to everyone who persevered on this. The WM I go to has two terminals in the MC. One is a black and white and one is color. The black and white one rejects Incomm prepaid debits. The red cancel icon shows up for a true millisecond and there is no way to push it in time. I got to try the color one today and if was different. It rejected the prepaid debit card just like the black and white one, and hitting cancel did not do anything but cancel. But it had a Change Payment icon and that worked. It was Change Payment, Debit, No Cash Back, then PIN number. The cashier then hit Debit and the $500 Amount on her end and it worked. It even allowed split payments and did not take much more time than the previous method. The problem will be that the black and white one is usually staffed and it may be hard to get them to log off of one and on to the other. There are no kiosks at this place.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:42 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
I don't think it would be in the debit card industry's best interest to have this shut down. More than 60 Billion was loaded to debit cards in 2012.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/yo...unts.html?_r=0
from some of the reports other types of debit cards are being affected as well (actual bank debit cards) ... not sure if its just a poor IT hackjob or what WM has planned here.

but with that stat/article in mind, hopefully there is some pushback from the DC arena to straighten this out -- esp if other customers are being affected while making everyday purchases at WM.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:46 pm

maybe im an idiot.. but i had no luck with OV in a MA WM.. i hit cancel right after swiping with no luck. the thing spit out a receipt declining the transaction a nano second after i swiped. i tried a few times, no dice. cashier mentioned its been happening a lot today.

btw, black and white screen
Old May 30, 2014, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Tested a $499 today on an OV at my local WM that I previously had no problems at but, like most people, rang up as credit yesterday. I hit cancel as soon as I swiped the card, tapped debit/ATM, it asked for my pin and went through like normal. My store still has B&W screens. Going to try for $2K tomorrow and another WM in my area about 20 minutes away that I never go to.

On another positive note, while I was out I decided to look at some of the other places on the MG and WU websites that are listed as selling MOs in my area. Found a chain with 3 stores near by that sell WU MOs up to $500 for only 46 cents. Looks like they are going to see many MO purchased for $450.50 cents in their future.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by RIPvanilla
maybe im an idiot.. but i had no luck with OV in a MA WM.. i hit cancel right after swiping with no luck. the thing spit out a receipt declining the transaction a nano second after i swiped. i tried a few times, no dice. cashier mentioned its been happening a lot today.

btw, black and white screen
What does black and white screen mean?
Old May 30, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
maybe but what I wanna see is a world of MS that goes something like this:

It is not exclusive--ie, it is essentially open to anyone... and no one should tout that they are better than someone else, BUT...

forums and blogs like these should have NO WIKIS
NO posts that say: I just bought a GC here and burned it there! wow!
and everything should be in code...

and in order to get in deeper you have to prove you know something or know enough... but not that the people you are proving it are some secret club you cannot join, rather, you have to be able to show you can do this stealthy without yapping too much, and only then will whom or whatever is in charge lets you in and you can pm about it and join small specialized email groups.

it has to be more underground.

I have NO idea who or what or how this would work... or who is determined to run any of it, but what I do know is that every word we say now IS searchable and findable and used against our efforts by anyone who is watching any of these threads or blogs. And maybe THAT is what is doing us in.
Call me what you will but this seems too paranoid to me. System updates for profitability and functionality (security, tracking, running daily numbers) are normal and unavoidable. I find it hard to believe any IT group is focused only on shutting down MS. MS cannot be significant in terms of swipes and loads if we are talking about a system that processes more than $60billion in a year. Instead, these problems must be part of business as usual and fraud control. So it goes.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
but with that stat/article in mind, hopefully there is some pushback from the DC arena to straighten this out -- esp if other customers are being affected while making everyday purchases at WM.
This will get worked out very quick on Wal-Mart's end. For the obvious reason: Money. Since this is affecting real debit cards too it is going to cost them a lot of money.

Obviously you can run real debit cards as debit or credit - with Visa and Mastercard jumping for joy when credit is run. Much higher swipe fees.

Defaulting true debits to running as credit default is going to cost Wally big dollars.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
He means the POS device had a B&W vs. color screen.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:01 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by hamhead
This will get worked out very quick on Wal-Mart's end. For the obvious reason: Money. Since this is affecting real debit cards too it is going to cost them a lot of money.

Obviously you can run real debit cards as debit or credit - with Visa and Mastercard jumping for joy when credit is run. Much higher swipe fees.

Defaulting true debits to running as credit default is going to cost Wally big dollars.
yeah its kind of a strange turn of events from WM... swipe and credit fees gotta be affecting WMs bottom line.

most places of business I come across many times ask me if I'd like to use debit first when I swipe my card (but as an MSer my answer is usually no and to process it as credit) ... so *defaulting* to credit seems counter-intuitive to say the least for any business much less a behemoth like WM. what kinda end game are they after?
Old May 30, 2014, 7:02 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The black and white screens are small with a console that covers most of the tiny accessible screen. Think 1970s portable computer or if you are too young for that, try to remember the computer in the TV show Lost that had to have the code entered every few minutes lest the world would end. The screen is black and the icons are white. The cancel button that flashes for a millisecond does appear to be red but that may just be the user's imagination. The color screens are larger, the screen is not obscured by the console, and the icons are a variety of different colors including red, green and blue. The icons stay on the screen until the user selects one instead of defaulting to FU mode like the black and white version.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Call me what you will but this seems too paranoid to me. System updates for profitability and functionality (security, tracking, running daily numbers) are normal and unavoidable. I find it hard to believe any IT group is focused only on shutting down MS. MS cannot be significant in terms of swipes and loads if we are talking about a system that processes more than $60billion in a year. Instead, these problems must be part of business as usual and fraud control. So it goes.
I am not actually saying wmt purposely tried to stop the use of these debit cards when they updated their systems.

A bunch of years back, Rite Aid could take debit to do Mos. On April 1, 2013 I walked in with a debit GC--the first day I discovered it had a pin, and the first day they did have pins (I had bought it at 7am that morning and the ticket printed out saying so)--and was able to buy a MO with it.

I would go back and buy MOs with many GCs in the months that followed but one clerk I had gotten to know eventually told me that sometimes the screen would pop up saying CREDIT on some of my swipes. She said she didnt think that should work.

turns out the incomm (vanilla) ones were coming up this way, while the META ones were not. That clerk asked me to use ones that made it so DEBIT came up... she knew what I was up to but did not care because hey. I am paying for the MO with valid currency in the form of a GC I bought (I still use that store for other ms now) and so I did as she asked--she said management would not approve and had already asked her to not let CREDIT go through for MOs.

Anyway the point of this is that at that time, RAs systems had a glitch or software feature or whatever you wanna call it that allowed CREDIT to go through when buying MOs where management would rather it did not, but their system was in fact making it so whatever is internally coded in Incomm GCs was making CREDIT show up not DEBIT.

This is what I think Wmts system is doing now. IT updated it to be a way that is very much like whatever Rite Aid uses... Why? I dunno, maybe there's like 5 ways to code your POS and one of the most secure or something or more cost effective is that one.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2
The black and white screens are small with a console that covers most of the tiny accessible screen. Think 1970s portable computer or if you are too young for that, try to remember the computer in the TV show Lost that had to have the code entered every few minutes lest the world would end. The screen is black and the icons are white. The cancel button that flashes for a millisecond does appear to be red but that may just be the user's imagination. The color screens are larger, the screen is not obscured by the console, and the icons are a variety of different colors including red, green and blue. The icons stay on the screen until the user selects one instead of defaulting to FU mode like the black and white version.
Would this be considered color or b/w? These are the types I see in the WM in my area.

Old May 30, 2014, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Would this be considered color or b/w? These are the types I see in the WM in my area.

That's B&W. I guess green and black would be more accurate.

Last edited by payeco; May 30, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.