Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
having just entered the arena i'm a little nervous now. i just picked up a couple OV's and was waiting to get to WM tomorrow to do the deed. fingers crossed
Old May 30, 2014, 4:05 pm

Data points-Long island NY about 50 miles east of NYC.

Yesterday morning did 4 $500 CVS debit card for 2 MO's without any issue. Same WM this morning, same old terminal, but the system defaulted to credit. It took a while to figure out, with the cashiers assistance, how/when to hit cancel so the debit choice would appear. Unfortunately took about 10-15 minutes but it worked out fine.

IMHO within a day or so this will not be an issue as it simply requires the cashiers to learn the workaround. They are more than willing but today was the first day.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Not fast, just faster than the CSR hits debit hard key (split payment info ok). Had a regular john wayne today and subtle hints of "you're beating me to it" weren't working. "You must be swiping your card to fast". Sigh.
Can't you ask him/her to wait to split the payment after you swipe and enter your pin? The CSRs at my local WM figured that out and now are much more relaxed about the whole transaction (plus they get to continue to chit-chat).
Old May 30, 2014, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Just got another $1000 from WM. The cashier was confused and was saying sorry we are having system issues today, and transaction is going as credit.

Took 5 swipes, but worked.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic
IMHO within a day or so this will not be an issue as it simply requires the cashiers to learn the workaround. They are more than willing but today was the first day.
I agree - half of the CSRs at my WM had it down today and provided OJT to the one I was working with for two BPs (MO system was hard down for whatever reason). If they seem like they are unfamiliar with the system, just let them know "last time, we did 'this' and it worked."
Old May 30, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
im going to be like bugs bunny and kiss him and then film it and when it goes viral he will do himself in lol
Not that I like the guy's blog either, but since we're mainly concerned about uninformed people (namely his readers and those of other similar blogs) violating the first two rules of MS (don't call, don't you dare call!), would it make sense to let them know and post about the changes? I assume most of the major low-level blogs have a wide low-information reader base that check in regularly, so we could avoid a lot of attention in the trenches (WM CS desk) if those people know going in what to expect... Food for thought...
Old May 30, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by picards007
Not that I like the guy's blog either, but since we're mainly concerned about uninformed people (namely his readers and those of other similar blogs) violating the first two rules of MS (don't call, don't you dare call!), would it make sense to let them know and post about the changes? I assume most of the major low-level blogs have a wide low-information reader base that check in regularly, so we could avoid a lot of attention in the trenches (WM CS desk) if those people know going in what to expect... Food for thought...
maybe but what I wanna see is a world of MS that goes something like this:

It is not exclusive--ie, it is essentially open to anyone... and no one should tout that they are better than someone else, BUT...

forums and blogs like these should have NO WIKIS
NO posts that say: I just bought a GC here and burned it there! wow!
and everything should be in code...

and in order to get in deeper you have to prove you know something or know enough... but not that the people you are proving it are some secret club you cannot join, rather, you have to be able to show you can do this stealthy without yapping too much, and only then will whom or whatever is in charge lets you in and you can pm about it and join small specialized email groups.

it has to be more underground.

I have NO idea who or what or how this would work... or who is determined to run any of it, but what I do know is that every word we say now IS searchable and findable and used against our efforts by anyone who is watching any of these threads or blogs. And maybe THAT is what is doing us in.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Ok, didn't want to leave for Grand Cayman tomorrow feeling bummed out, so went to WM #3 and tried the workaround. This was "Local WM" without money center and MO was at customer service desk. You have to be lightning fast to click "change payment" button. I mean swipe with right hand and push the screen with left. Took me few tries but it worked. I shall see my WM peeps in a week
Old May 30, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Ok, didn't want to leave for Grand Cayman tomorrow feeling bummed out, so went to WM #3 and tried the workaround. This was "Local WM" without money center and MO was at customer service desk. You have to be lightning fast to click "change payment" button. I mean swipe with right hand and push the screen with left. Took me few tries but it worked. I shall see my WM peeps in a week
enjoy GCM

Where do you stay?

We go every April
Old May 30, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Yeah, the timing is rough and those screens are not very responsive. I've taken to having the pen hovering over the spot and smashing down as quickly as I humanly can.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
maybe but what I wanna see is a world of MS that goes something like this:

It is not exclusive--ie, it is essentially open to anyone... and no one should tout that they are better than someone else, BUT...

forums and blogs like these should have NO WIKIS
NO posts that say: I just bought a GC here and burned it there! wow!
and everything should be in code...

and in order to get in deeper you have to prove you know something or know enough... but not that the people you are proving it are some secret club you cannot join, rather, you have to be able to show you can do this stealthy without yapping too much, and only then will whom or whatever is in charge lets you in and you can pm about it and join small specialized email groups.

it has to be more underground.

I have NO idea who or what or how this would work... or who is determined to run any of it, but what I do know is that every word we say now IS searchable and findable and used against our efforts by anyone who is watching any of these threads or blogs. And maybe THAT is what is doing us in.
+1.

I wish it was more like the FD thread and treated in the same way.

But bloggers still feel the need to expose those too....
Old May 30, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jc0726
Unload 6 x $500 OV at WM, BB, Serve and MO, no problem with the workaround, gotta hit the "change payment" fast, if not cancel and re-swipe. In and out in less than 10 minutes.
So the issue is impacting BB loads also?
Old May 30, 2014, 5:18 pm

:-::-::-:Please learn this lesson today Children at Wal-Mart :-::-::-:

I went and did a bill pay at my local Wal-mart today and not using Vanilla in any form, I gave those up 2 months ago..

Anyway - Bought a money Order - works perfectly no issues and did a bill pay and once again no issues.

when I arrived there was a long line at the money Center - all my WM have money centers and some young guy who was trying to buy a money order for $1999.30 or some total like that using 4 different credit cards he told her.

He swiped and she said credit and he said no Debit and she said it scans as a credit and back and forth they go until 2 other managers come over and tell him the same thing and this is after they can't give him a single money order for that amount but split it to 2 money orders and he keeps arguing, etc

In the end he got nothing - they told him 4 times and he still argued and got nothing

As for me - I bought one money order for $499.30 and did a bill pay to Barclay for 998.12 and told her that I was going to swipe my card 3 times because my credit union has a $500 limit on swipes and she said ok and we did it and no problem.

Actually I didnt need to tell her that because she knows me, by my name and my wife and knows that I pay mainly bills, etc.

I never buy huge money orders, I mix up my payments sometime low $498.12 and sometimes for $1998.12. I talk and ask about their day and build something instead of Mr. Money Orders.

Good talk: I would like to split this up because my bank has limits on swipes, can I do 4 swipes Vs BAD talk: I want to use 4 different debit cards

The managers comments that he is doing something shady or fraud and he is always buying money orders for large amounts - bing bing bing - I am sure if he keeps this up that it will flag him or cause trouble for the rest of us.

They also said who has 4 different debit cards?

as for me, never have an issue, I know almost all of them by name and very friendly with them and never cause problems. I use the correct terms - DEBIT CARD - not 4 different credit cards

Please rookies - read up - I am not some great expert but I do ask questions and learn from other peoples experiences.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PLT, AS 75k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
So the issue is impacting BB loads also?
Impacts anything that involves you swiping a Vanilla GC/OV at a POS terminal.
Old May 30, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
If you want to believe any little thing without verification, go ahead. I'm not that credulous.
Sorry I forgot. You are the guy that believes a deal was never killed by a blogger. You want 100% absolute proof. You have a lot to learn about this game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.