Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300
I'll give you a couple hints: she asks "Do you want cashback?" in a slightly annoying tone. She also speaks too loudly and lets everyone in the area know how much I am loading.
This "Kate" I've been seeing about in the forum is an actual person?? hahahahahha
Old May 30, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by grayland
I also have a very difficult time understanding why the insistence on buying OV when it is giving so much trouble. Why not branch out and try Meta or USB?
It doesn't help you much to not have "gift card" written on your card if it is a pain to use.

It seems that people have a fixation on doing the same thing...even in the face of difficulty.
OVs are usually like a dollar cheaper.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QL_714
Sorry I forgot. You are the guy that believes a deal was never killed by a blogger. You want 100% absolute proof. You have a lot to learn about this game.
You have a lot to learn about reason. And you misstated my position.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
This "Kate" I've been seeing about in the forum is an actual person?? hahahahahha
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not?

Really hoping it is.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not?

Really hoping it is.
Imitating the dry humor around here.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Call me what you will but this seems too paranoid to me. System updates for profitability and functionality (security, tracking, running daily numbers) are normal and unavoidable. I find it hard to believe any IT group is focused only on shutting down MS. .
sure? 4 words:

H
I
G
C
Old May 31, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
sure? 4 words:

H
I
G
C
They just fixed the functionality of the HIGC to what it originally was supposed to be. So in essence they were just fixing a glitch that was brought to their attention by MSer's.
Old May 31, 2014, 5:15 am

I started reading this thread and my head started hurting and my eyes started bleeding lol
Old May 31, 2014, 6:37 am

I avoid WM as much as possible. I do have to endure the monthly loading of 2-BBs...but can't imagine having to purchase MOs there also.
The odds on a given day is that you will stand in line behind 5 or 6 people and then get up to the counter and get turned away or told you can only do one swipe.

I have found other sources for MOs, including one that charges $.29
Maximum is usually only $500. per MO, but still beats WM any day.

I also have a very difficult time understanding why the insistence on buying OV when it is giving so much trouble. Why not branch out and try Meta or USB?
It doesn't help you much to not have "gift card" written on your card if it is a pain to use.

It seems that people have a fixation on doing the same thing...even in the face of difficulty.
Ironic how much we all hate WM. I use WM because it's close and birds are simple. OV has been handy for me and it looks like they still work so on I go.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
And you must make her your friend.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:36 am

Is everyone hitting the physical red cancel button on the keypad or are you hitting the cancel button on the screen? will both work?

Also, when you hit cancel is it literally IMMEDIATELY after you swipe? So for those that have the cancel screen that flys by so fast, could you swipe and have your finger on the physical keypad cancel button and hit it right away?
Old May 31, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by bar19900
Is everyone hitting the physical red cancel button on the keypad or are you hitting the cancel button on the screen? will both work?

Also, when you hit cancel is it literally IMMEDIATELY after you swipe? So for those that have the cancel screen that flys by so fast, could you swipe and have your finger on the physical keypad cancel button and hit it right away?
Why not try it and see what happens.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:27 am

Travel with Grant has good summary
Old May 31, 2014, 8:28 am

The odds on a given day is that you will stand in line behind 5 or 6 people and then get up to the counter and get turned away or told you can only do one swipe.
Depends on when you hit wally world I almost never see a line there. That said it is not the only place I hit either.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:35 am

Just a datapoint, but last night I went to a Walmart where I've never had problems before with countless BPs, BB loads, and MOs and went in to try to purchase 2k of MO's with 4 OVs.

The CSR told me that as of the previous day, all such transactions must be done using one DC only and no more split transactions are allowed, and that even if tries it wont work. Moreover also told me that on that morning, people from Moneygram came over and had a "meeting" at that walmart instructing to no longer allow splitting payments among multiple cards. I was trying to explain how it will go through if the split payment button is pressed after my swipes but wasn't willing to listen at all, so I left at that.

Went after that to another walmart where the CSR had some confusion initially too but then managed to get the payments to go through.

Am bummed out about possibily losing one of my most reliable walmarts to date but think will try back at the same location after about two weeks or so and hopefully someone else is working there. Also, am not sure whether to believe if that supposed "meeting" from Moneygram is the truth or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.