Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
That's wishful thinking, at best.

The fact that there's a straight-forward work around says that this was not purposeful.
And you would have figured this out if you didn't read anything from FT or any of those miles/points blogs? The average person won't think to hitting the change payment button. Its not going to deter the hardcore folks who read this forum and other blogs.

Yes it is wishful thinking but anytime a workaround is required that adds more complexity to the current situation to me is a deterrent. Of course if WM really wanted to ban the use of all DCs on BB/Serve loading they would have just hard coded it but then again it screws the BB/Serve customers who truly fund their BB/Serve accounts with their bank DCs. Besides there are folks out that have experienced issues where it still gets processed as 'credit' despite hitting the Cancel/Change Payment button so while it sounds straight forward it is just adding to another list of items we have to worry about.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
That's wishful thinking, at best.

The fact that there's a straight-forward work around says that this was not purposeful.
Considering the sudden change in personal info gathering for Billpay and MOs, it's easy to think that the software changes were targeted at the use of prepaids, though perhaps not at MSers specifically. I mean, it's now as if I'm buying a case of cough syrup at CVS. They're worried about criminal activity (fraudsters in this case). I don't think Walmart management gives a whit if you're cycling money on and off your credit cards. But nonetheless, the changes ...
Old May 31, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut
Even for MO? I liquidated $2k in MO yesterday with the newer system and had to do the cancel-->debit, etc. but they didn't taken any information from me.

That seems sketch.
That process was on Billpay today. I didn't do a MO, though I did ask the woman about it in relation to personal and ID info.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:41 pm

Thanks to someone who suggested exploring other sources to get MO, I called a few stores, asked whether they sell MO and whether they took debit payment. Found 3 stores in my neighborhood that do, and tested one of them today. Pay for $1000 MO with 2x $500 OV and the fee with cash, clerk asked for my name to record the amount on a sheet on the clipboard, but didn't ask for ID or anything else.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
And you would have figured this out if you didn't read anything from FT or any of those miles/points blogs? The average person won't think to hitting the change payment button. Its not going to deter the hardcore folks who read this forum and other blogs.
People like us will press a lot of buttons before we're deterred. lol
Old May 31, 2014, 3:48 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
People like us will press a lot of buttons before we're deterred. lol
mario kart / king kong button smash from back in the nintendo days
Old May 31, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
My local Walmarts have gone over to the new way of things. Change payment - debit - no cash - PIN worked easily for Billpay. However, as some have mentioned, the woman (who I trained to do Billpay and MOs) said that personal and ID information are required for all Billpay and MO purchases from now on. I used my passport in the hope that that info would be less useful to identity theives. I mean, really, they write all of your info in a big binder that's open on the back desk all the time! All of this for a $1000 Billpay! If they ever ask me for my SSN, I just won't be able to do it.
You likely got a SARs. Policy is anything above 3k or "suspicious" activity. I give over my DL but refuse to give SS number, which they are ok with. It is a bunch if paperwork (writing down amounts of each item(s), mo serial numbers, etc) so it's not desirable to force them through it, especially if there is a line.

I suggest learning your CSRs and which ones are aware of the policy and which ones aren't, and adjust your transaction accordingly. Be flexible and don't be like the op and "need" the money that instant because that is where the train can come off the tracks.

Hopefully this is a one off, if you didn't go above 3k, and not a corporate policy shift.

I am not your lawyer, financial consultant, etc (basically above statements are my experience and could be completely wrong or I could be missing something) so think accordingly.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I'm at a WM right now, tried several GCs (Simon, OV, Metabank) and none are processing as debit even after change payment. I even tested out a $499.30 MO to see if I could do a $500 transaction. No go. I'm hoping it's this store only.

I'm gonna try my secondary place.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
Quote:

Originally Posted by zozeppelin

Good to see QL_714 positing again. If you filter the snippiness and sarcasm you learn a lot or at least you're on the trail to something.

I had to check in for some laughs with the WM fiasco.
In that case check the cvs thread tomorrow if the smoke is real
Old May 31, 2014, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by amolkold
I'm at a WM right now, tried several GCs (Simon, OV, Metabank) and none are processing as debit even after change payment. I even tested out a $499.30 MO to see if I could do a $500 transaction. No go. I'm hoping it's this store only.

I'm gonna try my secondary place.
My other Walmart with a money center was like that.

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by QL_714
I had to check in for some laughs with the WM fiasco.
^

You likely got a SARs. Policy is anything above 3k or "suspicious" activity. I give over my DL but refuse to give SS number, which they are ok with. It is a bunch if paperwork (writing down amounts of each item(s), mo serial numbers, etc) so it's not desirable to force them through it, especially if there is a line.

I suggest learning your CSRs and which ones are aware of the policy and which ones aren't, and adjust your transaction accordingly. Be flexible and don't be like the op and "need" the money that instant because that is where the train can come off the tracks.

Hopefully this is a one off, if you didn't go above 3k, and not a corporate policy shift.

I am not your lawyer, financial consultant, etc (basically above statements are my experience and could be completely wrong or I could be missing something) so think accordingly.
As I wrote, I only did a $1k Billpay and one rep showed another how to record the personal info in the big Harry Potter binder. I've never done a transaction over $2k at Walmart. The only thing I'm concerned about is too much personal info floating around for everyone to see. Others on the forum have mentioned that newly they needed to give the rep their address and such. This was my experience. It's a new screen that pops up, but I don't know if it's a federal thing because they didn't ask for my SSN.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Originally Posted by amolkold
That's not good. Any idea what the issue is? Did the other place work? Mine worked this morning if you're willing to drive to the Valley.
Old May 31, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xlax
That's not good. Any idea what the issue is? Did the other place work? Mine worked this morning if you're willing to drive to the Valley.
The checkfreepay system is also down so I'm hoping it's just a temporary glitch.
Old May 31, 2014, 5:00 pm

Stop with the sars talk. Jesus christ just stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.