Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 1:04 pm

I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread, but does this affect the Vanilla Visa GCs as well?
Old May 31, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by dogbyte
I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread, but does this affect the Vanilla Visa GCs as well?
Look at the back of a OV and VV GC. You will have your answer.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:19 pm

Data point: WMs near Indy are still on the old system, even with color screens and chip card readers. However cashier said they just had a meeting about new software and "they update the system constantly."
Old May 31, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dogbyte
Yes.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Data point: WMs near Indy are still on the old system, even with color screens and chip card readers. However cashier said they just had a meeting about new software and "they update the system constantly."
I did one this morning by me in Indy suburbs. I had to hit cancel and do the ATM/debit trick. The WM money center employee I work with regularly already knew how to do the work around (as did I), so all was well.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:08 pm

first post

Greetings, after reading several threads, I thought I would pass on my experience for first time buying MO and BB at Walmart today in S Houston area.

I got lucky and found a working Kate, hidden behind a wall of return merchandise. Which was awesome as the customer service people couldn't watch as I tried the system for the first time.
I was armed with one OV debit and two GCM VGC's.

I purchased a BB starter and loaded 495 on it with the OV. I then was able to purchase 2 MO's with the GCM items. In and out in less than 5 minutes. Now I have to wait until I get the actual BB card to try to load.

So for at least this one Walmart it appears to be working.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hilbe
I did one this morning by me in Indy suburbs. I had to hit cancel and do the ATM/debit trick. The WM money center employee I work with regularly already knew how to do the work around (as did I), so all was well.
Good to know. Must be heading to west side as well.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:43 pm

Just got two MOs at a local WM using the workaround. However, the workaround worked for me when I did not the split the transaction. When I tried for $1000, I could not hit the cancel too soon and both time it did not work. Two separate transactions of $500 each worked fine after hitting cancel initially.

Did it work for anyone with a split transaction using the workaround?

DO we have to do the same for BB loading too? Did anyone try it?
Old May 31, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Domat
If your goal is to prolong the deal then please stop using it and tell all the other people who want to prolong this to stop MSing as well. If the more people who know about it equals less time we have then it only reasons that we need people to stop to help prolong it.

Spread the word at the next talk you do or on your blog.

What is AS?
Alaska Airlines? I guess the benefit is points/miles using an AS debit card. ST & DL = Staples & Delta GCs?
Old May 31, 2014, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Got $5k last night. Had to go through all the hoops that I normally have to go through with MC's for my OV's. Tip for those of you having problems with timing and the cashiers: Tell them not to hit the debit/credit button until after you've done the 'cancel/debit/no cash back' process, but before you enter in the PIN.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:23 pm

Kate is always on a break - no wonder I didn't know her name.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
My mind is open. But this is turning into a pissing contest.
It did get a bit testy, but I think some important issues were raised. In the bigger picture, more important than wether to press the yellow or red button.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
No i think the fact that it comes up initially as "credit" is already a deterrent so that folks who don't read FT would think the game is over and bow out. They wouldn't know about the workaround. At least that is what I am hoping.
That's wishful thinking, at best.

The fact that there's a straight-forward work around says that this was not purposeful.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:33 pm

My local Walmarts have gone over to the new way of things. Change payment - debit - no cash - PIN worked easily for Billpay. However, as some have mentioned, the woman (who I trained to do Billpay and MOs) said that personal and ID information are required for all Billpay and MO purchases from now on. I used my passport in the hope that that info would be less useful to identity theives. I mean, really, they write all of your info in a big binder that's open on the back desk all the time! All of this for a $1000 Billpay! If they ever ask me for my SSN, I just won't be able to do it.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
My local Walmarts have gone over to the new way of things. Change payment - debit - no cash - PIN worked easily for Billpay. However, as some have mentioned, the woman (who I trained to do Billpay and MOs) said that personal and ID information are required for all Billpay and MO purchases from now on. I used my passport in the hope that that info would be less useful to identity theives. I mean, really, they write all of your info in a big binder that's open on the back desk all the time! All of this for a $1000 Billpay! If they ever ask me for my SSN, I just won't be able to do it.
Even for MO? I liquidated $2k in MO yesterday with the newer system and had to do the cancel-->debit, etc. but they didn't taken any information from me.

That seems sketch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.