Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by njdealguy
Just a datapoint, but last night I went to a Walmart where I've never had problems before with countless BPs, BB loads, and MOs and went in to try to purchase 2k of MO's with 4 OVs.

The CSR told me that as of the previous day, all such transactions must be done using one DC only and no more split transactions are allowed, and that even if tries it wont work. Moreover also told me that on that morning, people from Moneygram came over and had a "meeting" at that walmart instructing to no longer allow splitting payments among multiple cards. I was trying to explain how it will go through if the split payment button is pressed after my swipes but wasn't willing to listen at all, so I left at that.

Went after that to another walmart where the CSR had some confusion initially too but then managed to get the payments to go through.

Am bummed out about possibily losing one of my most reliable walmarts to date but think will try back at the same location after about two weeks or so and hopefully someone else is working there. Also, am not sure whether to believe if that supposed "meeting" from Moneygram is the truth or not.
I think that WM BP is through checkfreepay, not moneygram. I always use checkfreepay.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:46 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
sure? 4 words:

H
I
G
C
those are letters

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
And you must make her your friend mistress.
fixed

Originally Posted by silver4300
I think that WM BP is through checkfreepay, not moneygram. I always use checkfreepay.
he's obv talking about MOs. but MG also offers BP (more exp tho)
Old May 31, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Things are still clicking at my WM. This morning I bought 6 $1000 MOs because I had that many cards, the MC was open and the most efficient and friendly cashier was there. My finger did get tired from all the change tender presses. Madison is a good place for MS.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by pwned
Travel with Grant has good summary
That VeriPhone is the crappy 1970s style black and white terminal that switches to FU mode milliseconds after the swiping of a VGC. I never thought about pushing one on the red or yellow buttons on the side, but I am not certain when to push one of them.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
thats right. But we cannot just be ok with that... and we cannot go around assuming that since that may be the case, we have to LET it happen sooner.

We are supposed to do whatever we can to PROLONG MS, not do whatever it takes to kill it.

Please take out the quoted message of what I wrote to lessen its being in here.

I give this whole shebang like a year.

I bet within 6 months we will see half of what we see now.

I mean... in the last couple weeks alone, the following has occurred:

AS is done --tomorrow (effectively today because anything done on a Sat will post Mon even as debit)

Rumors of CVS going Cash Only as of June (cannot confirm but some stores already have issues with OV and paypal cards... it is currently clerk dependent)

ST may not have DL cards any longer

WMT does its upgrades and kills off the use of anything Incomm by design unless you are lucky enough to be able to hit that elusive cancel button. Doesn't work in all stores.

and I forget whatelse
If your goal is to prolong the deal then please stop using it and tell all the other people who want to prolong this to stop MSing as well. If the more people who know about it equals less time we have then it only reasons that we need people to stop to help prolong it.

Spread the word at the next talk you do or on your blog.

What is AS?
Old May 31, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Domat comes out swinging ^ #troof101
Old May 31, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Domat
If your goal is to prolong the deal then please stop using it and tell all the other people who want to prolong this to stop MSing as well. If the more people who know about it equals less time we have then it only reasons that we need people to stop to help prolong it.

What is AS?
The number of people is only one factor. How people MS is also a factor. I've noticed that some people can read a blog or a wiki, get a couple of facts, dive in and get over their head. This not only harms themselves, but also our craft. Someone trying to liquidate 25 $200 gift cards in one visit because s/he *needs* to money to pay rent - then throws a fit when there is a problem because s/he *needs* the money by this Tuesday is not good. I would consider this irresponsible MS behavior that harms our craft.

Some people entering MS have related skills, pick it up quickly and MS responsibly. Others need more time to learn and develop skills.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:30 am

The number of people is only one factor. How people MS is also a factor. I've noticed that some people can read a blog or a wiki, get a couple of facts, dive in and get over their head. This not only harms themselves, but also our craft. Someone trying to liquidate 25 $200 gift cards in one visit because s/he *needs* to money to pay rent - then throws a fit when there is a problem because s/he *needs* the money by this Tuesday is not good. I would consider this irresponsible MS behavior that harms our craft.
since every coin has 2 sides, think about it this way -- those kinda ppl (in your example) serve to weed themselves out once their losses become too heavy if they indeed dive in head first and go way too deep, too fast... but not only that, while they play in this arena they might drown in debt for a bit, have to pay all kinda fees/misplaced GCs/lost $$ value etc which guess what, kinda benefits us... how? well when CC issuers or incomm or whoever makes money off of em, it technically makes our long game last longer.

sure the immediate MS methods maybe under a bright white spotlight, but methods are known to come and go... every method eventually dies. whats more important is the bigger picture staying ever eternal.

noobs who screw up, cost only themselves money -- which goes to either the CC companies, stores, vendors aka back into the system and ultimately comes to us as rewards.

that is what the ppl who designed this game count on. and this is the opposite of the tragedy of commons -- it is the redistribution of wealth points/miles/CB/rewards.

Last edited by FTR 787; May 31, 2014 at 10:36 am
Old May 31, 2014, 10:45 am

Some people entering MS have related skills, pick it up quickly and MS responsibly. Others need more time to learn and develop skills.
You keep using that example as if it means something. Newbie30 apparently is from a very small town. He knew this cashier and she had no problem doing it for him. She even swiped for him. He did nothing wrong.

Some people have been doing MS for 40 years and still do things you think are deal killers. Marathon man above for instance has stated on several occasions he is a go hard until the deal is dead (from other peoples actions of course. he would never contribute to the demise).

I believe you have stated in the past that this is a deal killer? Not to mention he is a *gasp* blogger. which even if they have 6 readers are more of a deal killer then FT with many many more.
Old May 31, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by pwned
Travel with Grant has good summary
Oh Lord, Sir Circles and Arrows has blogger offspring!
Old May 31, 2014, 11:16 am

You keep using that example as if it means something. Newbie30 apparently is from a very small town. He knew this cashier and she had no problem doing it for him. She even swiped for him. He did nothing wrong.

Some people have been doing MS for 40 years and still do things you think are deal killers. Marathon man above for instance has stated on several occasions he is a go hard until the deal is dead (from other peoples actions of course. he would never contribute to the demise).

I believe you have stated in the past that this is a deal killer? Not to mention he is a *gasp* blogger. which even if they have 6 readers are more of a deal killer then FT with many many more.
I do think that very heavy use puts a strain on an MS avenue - e.g. Staples deal - I also think people who MS irresponsibly harm the craft - whether they are noobs are veterans. For example, someone calling in to do a billpay over and over with a stack of VGCs - which don't work - harms MS. It clogs up phone lines and frustrates CSRs and supervisors. Yes, deals die - but they don't need to die so quickly.

Consider this analogy. I am a long distance runner. I live in an area that doesn't have many good running places. The roads are in shambles due to the harsh winter, the mosquitoes and deer flies are awful on wooded trails, many people let their dogs off leash including pit bulls, there is only one small park and people drive like maniacs. Fortunately, there is a local cemetery with wonderful running. It is 1.2 mile soft dirt road loop around the perimeter. No traffic or pit bulls. Sparsley wooded and open country views. There is a lake and a river within view and it is peaceful and serene. I absolutely love running there. One of the best things in this depressed town. Technically, jogging is against the posted rules. But, it isn't enforced and a jogger can be occasionally seen there. I have spoken to the manager about jogging there and he rolled his eyes and sighed. He preferred it didn't occur, yet it wasn't worth the effort now to try and eliminate it. He didn't tell me to stop jogging there, but I could tell he wanted me to be discrete.

So here's the thing: the cemetery deal may come to an end at any time. I want it to continue for as long as possible. As I see it, there are two main risk factors - too many people start jogging there OR not too many people jog there but some act irresponsibly. Some people just kinda *get it*. They just have common sense and decency. For example, they know that jogging through a funeral procession is bad. Yet, others act irresponsibly. I've seen a jogger run off the main road into the grassy area around tombstones. I've seen a jogger run right by mourners at grave sites when he could have easily run down a side path. I've seen a jogger spit. ::facepalms:: These are the minority of joggers however they have a big impact and could ruin the deal for those of us jogging responsibly through there. I think some of those that are irresponsible are not trying to cause harm, they are just oblivious. I have spoken to a few and tried to educate them. "Please don't run or spit near mourners because they may find this offensive and complain to management." The response is usually, "Oh, that's a good point. I was so focused on my pace that I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks."

Last edited by silver4300; May 31, 2014 at 11:35 am
Old May 31, 2014, 11:29 am

I don't know if the two WM I went to today had been "upgraded" but I had no problems getting MOs with TDG VB card. Worked just has before no need for work around. This is different than another report in this thread.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

What is AS?
I do not have a blog. I write in a web site that is in my sig line and if You read the crap I write it is exactly what you are asking for.

Also, I have made many of my own mistakes and I am responsible for them. They are not someone Else's fault all the time. I have not listened to people who were trying to help or tell me things. maybe because I could not see it, maybe because I thought their delivery was mean or something. Who knows. For example, QL_714 has tried to tell people in his own way to not blow it up. I used to not listen to him. I might still not listen to him. But the fact is he has usually been quite right about these things!

I am not immune. I have made mistakes and yet I am trying to help people learn from mine to not make the same ones. But I aint no MS saint and nobody is.

People can MS... they just gotta figure out a better way of doing it. That is what I tout.

And because I just said that, you know I cannot tell you what AS is. You have to go find it on your own. Although it dies today so there goes the best MS deal that actually lasted at least 14 years! And it lasted that long because in the beginning no one knew about it. Then, if it hit FT, everyone agreed to hide it. And later when more deals came along, it got placed in the back anyway cuz there are better deals than AS. But it did end, and that is sad.

I think people who MS irresponsibly harm the craft - whether they are noobs are veterans. For example, someone calling in to do a billpay over and over with VGCs - which don't work - harms MS. It clogs up phone lines and frustrates CSRs and supervisors. Yes, deals die - but they don't need to die so quickly.

Consider this analogy. I am a long distance runner. I live in an area that doesn't have many good running places. The roads are in shambles due to the harsh winter, the mosquitoes and deer flies are awful on wooded trails, many people let their dogs off leash including pit bulls, there is only one small park and people drive like maniacs. Fortunately, there is a local cemetery with wonderful running. It is 1.2 mile soft dirt road loop around the perimeter. No traffic or pit bulls. Sparsley wooded and open country views. There is a lake and a river within view and it is peaceful and serene. I absolutely love running there. One of the best things in this depressed town. Technically, jogging is against the posted rules. But, it isn't enforced and a jogger can be occasionally seen there. I have spoken to the manager about jogging there and he rolled his eyes and sighed. He preferred it didn't occur, yet it wasn't worth the effort now to try and eliminate it. He didn't tell me to stop jogging there, but I could tell he wanted me to be discrete.

So here's the thing: the cemetery deal may come to an end at any time. I want it to continue for as long as possible. As I see it, there are two main risk factors - too many people start jogging there OR not too many people jog there but some act irresponsibly. Some people just kinda *get it*. They just have common sense and decency. For example, they know that jogging through a funeral procession is bad. Yet, others act irresponsibly. I've seen a jogger run off the main road into the grassy area around tombstones. I've seen a jogger run right by mourners at grave sites when he could have easily run down a side path. I've seen a jogger spit. ::facepalms:: These are the minority of joggers however they have a big impact and could ruin the deal for those of us jogging responsibly through there. I think some of those that are irresponsible are not trying to cause harm, they are just oblivious. I have spoken to a few and tried to educate them. "Please don't run or spit near mourners because they may find this offensive and complain to management." The response is usually, "Oh, that's a good point. I was so focused on my pace that I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks."
This jogger analogy is spot on.
The problem is...

not everyone will listen to these words.
not every jogger is going to listen because hey, they have egos and who are you to tell them how to be?
and finally, out of sheer numbers, even if everyone did it right, the manager will eventually say no more, there are too many of you!

At CLT one of my analogies in my speech was similar:

I said... "I mean it’s kinda like my neighborhood in Springtime. Everyone knows we can dump wheel barrels full of sticks and weeds and leaves and dirt and stones in a small swath of town-owned forested land down the street between where our neighborhood ends and the one on another street begins. But we all also know we should go back there once and while and rake out some of the piles and keep the area looking half decent, less clogged, easier than not to navigate into and out of.

(I showed pics of a small forested area end of my street)

No one “owns it” or needs to be in charge… we all are. But if we don’t do this little extra effort now and then, it will look ugly, get messed up and hard to utilize and eventually a neighbor will complain or the town will shut it down for our use. For now, though, as long as everyone does their thing, does their part and hushes up, we have a free place to dump! It’s like a giant compost pile and people can even use ground from there to make gardens, etc. So it sustains itself as long as we sustain this notion. New neighbors are shown how it works. Most of my neighbors in our little community are good stewards.

Like this, we need to be good stewards of MS.

(I then showed a pic of junk at end of street near one side of the small, otherwise well kept forested area)

Here’s an example of one neighbor who lives near the little forest who DOES NOT care about us or his surroundings. He doesn’t clean up, he doesn’t clean his own yard and he collects junk. He abuses this. And note that abuse is not defined as someone who, say collects too many points or in this case, a lot of scrap in a make shift junk yard, rather, it is defined by someone not caring about his surroundings, his constituents, his neighborhood. And we are a community or a MS neighborhood and we must care about it.

You can see the above picture showing this person’s yard, and if he was an MSer, he is doing it the wrong way…"
Old May 31, 2014, 11:50 am

I do not have a blog. I write in a web site that is in my sig line and if You read the crap I write it is exactly what you are asking for.

Also, I have made many of my own mistakes and I am responsible for them. They are not someone Else's fault all the time. I have not listened to people who were trying to help or tell me things. maybe because I could not see it, maybe because I thought their delivery was mean or something. Who knows. For example, QL_714 has tried to tell people in his own way to not blow it up. I used to not listen to him. I might still not listen to him. But the fact is he has usually been quite right about these things!

I am not immune. I have made mistakes and yet I am trying to help people learn from mine to not make the same ones. But I aint no MS saint and nobody is.

People can MS... they just gotta figure out a better way of doing it. That is what I tout.

And because I just said that, you know I cannot tell you what AS is. You have to go find it on your own. Although it dies today so there goes the best MS deal that actually lasted at least 14 years! And it lasted that long because in the beginning no one knew about it. Then, if it hit FT, everyone agreed to hide it. And later when more deals came along, it got placed in the back anyway cuz there are better deals than AS. But it did end, and that is sad.

You want to hide MS (no wiki, codes etc) because you want less people to learn these tricks especially after you did. You want less people because more exposure = more usage more usage will hurt the longevity of a deal.

Now you stopping MS will help that as well. Especially since you are a Go hard until it dies kind of guy. You also got lectured here about arguing with the manager. You also undoubtedly are taking all the free info you can and discussing it in your secret groups. You won't even tell us about a dead deal so we can learn and the people who share and improve deals can see if it is re creatable with something else.

I hate to tell you but your website is a blog and you are blogging. Don't jump off a bridge now.

Last edited by Domat; May 31, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 12:10 pm

This jogger analogy is spot on.
The problem is...

not everyone will listen to these words.
not every jogger is going to listen because hey, they have egos and who are you to tell them how to be?
and finally, out of sheer numbers, even if everyone did it right, the manager will eventually say no more, there are too many of you!
I think most of the runners around here are pretty reasonable and know that it is a fragile scenario. Yet, you are correct - I have encountered some negative attitudes as well - The "Yea, whatever dude" - attitude.

The thing is. . . I think it would be easier for management to enforce the No Jogging Rule for everyone than to ban specific irresponsible runners.

Sooooo. Should I publish announcements in our local newspaper and tv station informing all the area joggers of this great resource? I could really promote it. The soft dirt trail has less impact than asphalt roads. Much easier on the knees. Beautiful scenery and safe. Shouldn't everyone know about this great place? How could I deny them this pleasure? Maybe I could even make some money off it. . . . OR, should I be more discrete? I've started running with a new running buddy - he was born and raised in the town and is very community-minded. Last week, I took him running through the cemetery and he couldn't believe how expansive and beautiful it was. He loved it. I gave him the unwritten "do's and don'ts" of running there and he was very receptive. I've also spoken to the cross country coach about the situation and asked him to consider not allowing the entire team to run through there at once. He also seemed receptive to the idea - although I think he mostly wants to avoid bad PR and complaints.

Also, I liked your analogy. Good stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.