FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MO Purchases using OV @ WM
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2014, 11:16 am
silver4300

Originally Posted by Domat
You keep using that example as if it means something. Newbie30 apparently is from a very small town. He knew this cashier and she had no problem doing it for him. She even swiped for him. He did nothing wrong.

Some people have been doing MS for 40 years and still do things you think are deal killers. Marathon man above for instance has stated on several occasions he is a go hard until the deal is dead (from other peoples actions of course. he would never contribute to the demise).

I believe you have stated in the past that this is a deal killer? Not to mention he is a *gasp* blogger. which even if they have 6 readers are more of a deal killer then FT with many many more.
I do think that very heavy use puts a strain on an MS avenue - e.g. Staples deal - I also think people who MS irresponsibly harm the craft - whether they are noobs are veterans. For example, someone calling in to do a billpay over and over with a stack of VGCs - which don't work - harms MS. It clogs up phone lines and frustrates CSRs and supervisors. Yes, deals die - but they don't need to die so quickly.

Consider this analogy. I am a long distance runner. I live in an area that doesn't have many good running places. The roads are in shambles due to the harsh winter, the mosquitoes and deer flies are awful on wooded trails, many people let their dogs off leash including pit bulls, there is only one small park and people drive like maniacs. Fortunately, there is a local cemetery with wonderful running. It is 1.2 mile soft dirt road loop around the perimeter. No traffic or pit bulls. Sparsley wooded and open country views. There is a lake and a river within view and it is peaceful and serene. I absolutely love running there. One of the best things in this depressed town. Technically, jogging is against the posted rules. But, it isn't enforced and a jogger can be occasionally seen there. I have spoken to the manager about jogging there and he rolled his eyes and sighed. He preferred it didn't occur, yet it wasn't worth the effort now to try and eliminate it. He didn't tell me to stop jogging there, but I could tell he wanted me to be discrete.

So here's the thing: the cemetery deal may come to an end at any time. I want it to continue for as long as possible. As I see it, there are two main risk factors - too many people start jogging there OR not too many people jog there but some act irresponsibly. Some people just kinda *get it*. They just have common sense and decency. For example, they know that jogging through a funeral procession is bad. Yet, others act irresponsibly. I've seen a jogger run off the main road into the grassy area around tombstones. I've seen a jogger run right by mourners at grave sites when he could have easily run down a side path. I've seen a jogger spit. ::facepalms:: These are the minority of joggers however they have a big impact and could ruin the deal for those of us jogging responsibly through there. I think some of those that are irresponsible are not trying to cause harm, they are just oblivious. I have spoken to a few and tried to educate them. "Please don't run or spit near mourners because they may find this offensive and complain to management." The response is usually, "Oh, that's a good point. I was so focused on my pace that I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks."

Last edited by silver4300; May 31, 2014 at 11:35 am