Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
to all the 'smart' people: if you think WM won't change their IT to block this avenue, you're dreaming of rainbows and unicorns.
100% agree with your sentiment and especially your closing point.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by picards007
100% agree with your sentiment and especially your closing point.
I don't. Legally, the card has a pin assigned and it has to be available to be used as debit.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
This workaround has been required for anything but Visa-branded cards since the dawn of time.
Some need it to be put on a silver platter for them.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by jmw
TL;DR version - There is photographic evidence in this thread Wallymart IT is working on hardcoding the registers to cash/real debit only. When Wally IT is done, game over just like with VR@CVS, HIGC, OD, etc.
Can someone please take photos and draw circles and arrows to exactly what to push and when, to make it easier for the bloggers to regurgitate the info they find here for their devoted flock? And, of course so they can include all their cc affiliate links for the best cards to use to buy the OVs and so they can create a stampede by telling them it's all coming to an end so hurry! It's OV/VGC/Walmart Armegeddon.

I do thank the OP for bringing this to our attention. I'm just having a bit of fun with the blogger comment.

Last edited by Churnman; May 30, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old May 30, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by QL_714
Some need it to be put on a silver platter for them.
Torn on the silver platter in this case... hoping to thin the herd by eliminating those too lazy to read the detailed instructions in this thread, but at the same time worried that not being helpful will only draw more attention by those who are clueless, and make it more even more challenging for those that know what they're doing.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Can someone please take photos and draw circles and arrows to exactly what to push and when, to make it easier for the bloggers to regurgitate the info they find here for their devoted flock?
Do you have a red marker for me to use. Do you want pics of DW?
Old May 30, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I don't. Legally, the card has a pin assigned and it has to be available to be used as debit.
You're the only one I know of that has pointed out this fact in this thread. Bravo!
Old May 30, 2014, 11:56 am

Doesn't address the larger threat of shutting down MO purchases with debit entirely, as is the case at many other retailers.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:56 am

You're the only one I know of that has pointed out this fact in this thread. Bravo!
Maybe what should also be pointed out is that they don't have to allow MO/BP to be done with debit cards. Have you tried your GC's at USPS?
Old May 30, 2014, 11:58 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I agree, the cards even say debit on them. theres no legal way WM can force these to run/be only accepted as credit.

who's thinking lawsuit? and where's randy petersen when you need him.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:00 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Doesn't address the larger threat of shutting down MO purchases with debit entirely, as is the case at many other retailers.
that would be 'uncommonsensical' considering the piece of paper the register spits out says CASH OR DEBIT on it after running a card as credit fails. but who knows WM might change its policies at the drop of a hat.

just not sure why they are going in a roundabout way of doing it this way with terminal software 'downgrades'. you know the added confusion is just going to increase the already long lines at MC/registers -- transactions going awry, managers doling out $20 WMGCs as compensation for time wasted etc etc.

overall its just bad news bears... not a smart move by WM at all, but who knows what they are really upto.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
that would be 'uncommensensical' consdering the piece of paper the register spits out says CASH OR DEBIT on it after running a card as credit fails.
As it presently stands, of course, but there's nothing precluding them from making that change in the future. It's uncommonsensical for them to force something to run as credit instead of debit when the former is more expensive.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
Maybe what should also be pointed out is that they don't have to allow MO/BP to be done with debit cards. Have you tried your GC's at USPS?
That is also true. But, debit is also one of the most common methods of payment for customers at Walmart throughout the U.S. and Canada. They know the overwhemingly vast majority of debit transactions at Walmart are absolutely legit including ms'ers. But, I'm glad I have other stores to buy MOs from with debit cards. If Walmart eventually cans this method they will lose a lot of business. I and many others shop at stores for grocery and retail needs that also allow MO purchases via debit. It is convenience. Once CVS stopped allowing Serve loads via cc then I also purchased less items there weekly. I only have so much time and will shop where I can also take care of MO purchases, BB/Serve loads too.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
That is also true. But, debit is also one of the most common methods of payment for customers at Walmart throughout the U.S. and Canada. They know the overwhemingly vast majority of debit transactions at Walmart are absolutely legit including ms'ers. But, I'm glad I have other stores to buy MOs from with debit cards. If Walmart eventually cans this method they will lose a lot of business. I and many others shop at stores for grocery and retail needs that also allow MO purchases via debit. It is convenience. Once CVS stopped allowing Serve loads via cc then I also purchased less items there weekly. I only have so much time and will shop where I can also take care of MO purchases, BB/Serve loads too.
If they truly think Fraud is occurring then they don't care if they lose business as allowing fraud to occur is even worse.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:09 pm

Is there any chance this has nothing to do with WM and is a change in the way OV is programming its cards to run? It is hard for me to believe that it is something on WM's end when we know that this is isolated to OV branded VGC's. I ran two different types of VGC's at WM yesterday and had no problem running them as Debit without having to do the workaround.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.