Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by whitey4545
Is there any chance this has nothing to do with WM and is a change in the way OV is programming its cards to run? It is hard for me to believe that it is something on WM's end when we know that this is isolated to OV branded VGC's. I ran two different types of VGC's at yesterday and had not problem running them as Debit without having to do the workaround.
Others have reported problems outside of OV in other threads so not just OV.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
to all the 'smart' people:

a. when he posted, there was not a work around. what he posted was his experience- his new experience after having used OV to buy MO previously, but now he got this error/treatment as credit. so the statement was accurate for him (and for many others yesterday).

b. if you read the OP, he is asking a question. the only thing missing was a question mark in the title- so what. anyone reading the OP though, can PLAINLY see he was 1. informing people of something new (that was 100% accurate) and 2. asking if others had the same issue (to see if it was user/cashier error).

c. still lost on everyone somehow is that this sure does appear to be an effort by WM to use IT to hard code to block this form of payment (for those with no memory or experience.... think OD, WG, CVS, HIGC- ring a bell?). that there is a work around, changes little and may just be buying us some time until they find a way to shut the door. HIGC was easier to kill thru IT bc it is the only discover debit.

other than the fact that the title could have used a question mark, there is nothing wrong with the first post in this thread. even without the "?", it's fine.

given my usual critical stance on newbs who are clueless and lazy, i'm obviously no defender- usually. but even before his finding was validated, i posted in his defense early on because it was obvious what he was saying, obvious it WAS something new, and the arrogant clique here was in overdrive.

further, a lot of this group who blindly attacked him are little more than newbs themselves- self appointed gurus of MS who have been around such a short time that they don't know enough to understand that things turn on a dime in MS. the same group mocked the first posts reporting the demise of VR @ CVS. remember?

ANYONE paying attention knows it is WM policy NOT to take "gift cards" for loads, MO, BP- AT LEAST on a regional level, and probably storewide (unconfirmed, but likely imo). the fact that we can still do it is related to workers not knowing policy/social engineering, and now a work around- that's all. just like when some of us could still buy VR at walgreens after policy changed- then walgreens hard coded and it was 100% dead. if you think WM won't change their IT to block this avenue, you're dreaming of rainbows and unicorns.
uncommonsensical, thank you so much for the time & efforts it took to write this post. I have learnt many things from FT and I wanted to do my best to give as much as of my experience to FTer's here. By seeing many of the posts here, those jumping on me - It really made me feel that I should never write up anything new here. May be this is why many of the experienced MSer's stopped giving much of suggestions.

People please be constructive here. Learn from other's experience, don't make the same mistake again. Be smart, fly high. If you jump on someone posting useful info here, the usual result will be that person will stop posting any new experiences here. This is not what we need on this forum. It's really because of FTer's like you, I am still posting here, even after all the critics, with the hope that my posts helps at least some one here.

Any way, I don't mind few people critics here and gladly accepts few suggestions about my situations, changing my CC for MS etc.

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Churnman
That is also true. But, debit is also one of the most common methods of payment for customers at Walmart throughout the U.S. and Canada. They know the overwhemingly vast majority of debit transactions at Walmart are absolutely legit including ms'ers. But, I'm glad I have other stores to buy MOs from with debit cards. If Walmart eventually cans this method they will lose a lot of business. I and many others shop at stores for grocery and retail needs that also allow MO purchases via debit. It is convenience. Once CVS stopped allowing Serve loads via cc then I also purchased less items there weekly. I only have so much time and will shop where I can also take care of MO purchases, BB/Serve loads too.
There are compliance costs involved around AML regulations, and losses from inexperienced employees who pay out an extra $500 or $1k on MOs and BPs without actually charging the cards in question. At a rate of $.70 a pop, they have to do a lot of successful transactions to pay for the non-trivial amount of loss involved.

I would not be surprised at all to see either costs for customers to go up, or for WM cut down on their MC offerings.
jmw

Originally Posted by FTRox87

who's thinking lawsuit? and where's randy petersen when you need him.
Randy Petersen sold himself off to the devil long ago. He's a consultant for the airlines and the hotels, who have acted to devalue points/miles as well as elite benefits. That's why I suggest buying GCs with cashback cards after you earn signing bonuses.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:13 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by whitey4545
Is there any chance this has nothing to do with WM and is a change in the way OV is programming its cards to run? It is hard for me to believe that it is something on WM's end when we know that this is isolated to OV branded VGC's. I ran two different types of VGC's at yesterday and had not problem running them as Debit without having to do the workaround.
yeah its not isolated, furthermore its rolling out in patches, nationwide only at WMs.

if you're still not certain that its a WM-side change, try using these cards at any other store for any other purchase. for ex a target across the street, you'll see the diff in processing.

but its not a big deal, we've dealt with this issue before with the MCGCs.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
That is also true. But, debit is also one of the most common methods of payment for customers at Walmart throughout the U.S. and Canada. They know the overwhemingly vast majority of debit transactions at Walmart are absolutely legit including ms'ers.
They can block MO purchases with debit and still have regular purchases work.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QL_714
They can block MO purchases with debit and still have regular purchases work.
Or they may make MO purchase cash only.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by newuser0
If you jump on someone posting useful info here, the usual result will be that person will stop posting any new experiences here.
We can only hope!
Old May 30, 2014, 12:17 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by jmw
Randy Petersen sold himself off to the devil long ago. He's a consultant for the airlines and the hotels, who have acted to devalue points/miles as well as elite benefits.
interesting if he is indeed a consultant for the airlines... considering he was just involved in that crazy 200M mile lawsuit against US Air and Hawaiian Air only a cpl yrs ago.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
yeah its not isolated, furthermore its rolling out in patches, nationwide only at WMs.

if you're still not certain that its a WM-side change, try using these cards at any other store for any other purchase. for ex a target across the street, you'll see the diff in processing.

but its not a big deal, we've dealt with this issue before with the MCGCs.
That makes sense. I was unaware. I will point out that on WM website it still directly states that MC accepted payment methods are cash, Pin Enabled Debit Cards and WalMart Money Card. I think there is still time on this one... At least I hope
Old May 30, 2014, 1:06 pm

Well, my Walmart worked again today like normal. If these changes are spreading AND you guys are still able to make split debit payments, I don't understand why some posts here still have a tinge of the Apocalypse?
Old May 30, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Well, my Walmart worked again today like normal. If these changes are spreading AND you guys are still able to make split debit payments, I don't understand why some posts here still have a tinge of the Apocalypse?
you mean you purchased a money order with OV and didn't have to do the work around?
Old May 30, 2014, 1:12 pm

I only pray Wal-Mart continues just so the hoards of MSers stay there because blogs continue to tell them to.

It hurts because I seriously feel that sometimes people think Wal-Mart is the only place in the world that sells MO with debit.
Old May 30, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Where are you located?
Old May 30, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by hamhead
It hurts because I seriously feel that sometimes people think Wal-Mart is the only place in the world that sells MO with debit.
In some parts of the country, it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.