Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
As of today, at many Walmarts OV is being automatically recognized as Credit
Could you define "many?" Regionally, by city, nationwide? ForBB and MO?
Old May 29, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
As of today, at many Walmarts OV is being automatically recognized as Credit
Had the same issues today with Metabank VGCs I get from a local Mall. Thankfully, plan B worked, though I still have $3000 in those GCs left to burn.

I'll let that be a lesson to me: keep float times down. If I'd bought my MOs as I acquired those Metabank VGC, I'd have paid off a CC bill by now, instead of being anxious.

Now I have to go to WM everyday for the next 3 days, and I don't dare buy any more of those MetaBank VGCs (nor any other GCs) until I dispose of the ones I have. Also sucks because I had allocated my plan B to a different MS stream.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:04 pm

Could we get some data points going? I suggest adding where the failed swipes occur to get a sense of how this is rolling out. Adding if the new workaround worked for BB, Serve, BP, MO might help too.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:05 pm

FYI for those who are concerned about having to float money: Just make sure one of your MS cards has a 12 month or however long 0% intro rate and you can float a few thousand indefinitely as needed by shifting spending and gift cards around. Makes your MSing much more secure.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:10 pm

I'm in NE Ohio and had an issue with OV doing bill pay for the first time today. When I swiped it tried to process as credit. Had to press "Change Tender", then select "Debit" and then enter PIN. Worked fine after that. Didn't have the same issue at the Walmart on Monday, so it's just changed here in the last 2-3 days.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:17 pm

Bought one for 999.30 using OV and the steps above, which I didn't know about at the time.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
I could swear that the MC I go to gives me the cash or debit option. I haven't bought a MO since Evolve but I'm curious as to still keeping this method alive and using OV.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grayland
I think newuo is really MM in an alter ego pulling our chains.

He will soon recap the whole drama in a new song. Maybe we should be helping him with a title for the new tune. !!??!!
Lol!! what is MM?
Old May 29, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Madison WM has the process change. I went to buy 2 $1000 MOs with 4 Vanilla GCs and saw the change tender button pop up, so I pressed it quickly and all the cards worked fine.

I ended up spending over an hour there, though, through a combination of beginner cashiers, a jammed MO printer, a stuck register and a badly-timed lunch break by the only person working there who knew how to fix the printer. The first MO printed fine, but the printer balked on the second one and chaos ensued.

I couldn't leave because I had $1000 tied up in the register which subsequently became inoperable, requiring a reboot before they could open the drawer to give me cash back. Folks, that reboot took almost 1/2 hour, and by the time it was back up the woman who knew how to fix the printer had come back from lunch and they ended up printing the second MO for me.

The manager insisted on giving me $20 for my trouble, but it wasn't worth it. I almost left early on when I was 6th in line and realized that both CSRs were beginners, but unfortunately I didn't. Next time that happens I will.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Glad it worked but I hope you heard. There were a lot of people here telling you to slow down, pause, or rethink what you are doing. If one glitch causes this much worry for you it's not a "hobby" or "extra addition" with a goal in mind.
Thanks, I have decided to get a $10K separate float for MS within next week. Hopefully, this will keep me in better position and less worry
Old May 29, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Biggest issue here is the previously the cashier had the option to select credit, debit, or WM shopping card. Now there's only one button for cards. This leaves more up to the system than before.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS MHT
Biggest issue here is the previously the cashier had the option to select credit, debit, or WM shopping card. Now there's only one button for cards. This leaves more up to the system than before.
Did you get a chance to see their screen?
Old May 29, 2014, 8:49 pm

I was denied loading my Bluebird with One Vanilla earlier today. Not sure if it was a misguided cashier or something else.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I was just coming to report about this. I had issues in Florida with OV buying MOs. I was confused about why the cashier thought I was using credit card. Then she started pushing the cancel button on my screen and I saw the debit option.

I just used that trick and was on my way. Gonna be more of a hassle though now to do this as of course timing has to be right.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: ALL :)
Originally Posted by FTRox87
says the guy with this in his sig

how's that for sweet irony
I think if you actually took the time to read what he writes you would realize the irony in what you just posted

funny that marathon man has his own acronym

I think MM does a great job at mentoring and not just hand holding

I met him in CLT very interesting and fun guy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.