Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
JMK-FRA from Y to Z (originally in K but due to INVOL rebooking moved up to Y) for US$70.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 3:45 pm

I was offered J->F upgrade on SFO-FRA for ~$1000 for flight in Sept. Didnt take that and used PlusPoints instead. The upgrade cleared 30 days in advance with 3 seats open.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by sepandee
I finally got through to them (didn't take that long, actually) and they told me an upgrade is not available for that flight. I tried to find out why but she didn't know or wouldn't tell me. So... bummer. No way around it?
So far I'm also getting the run-around from LH on a similar situation with the website bombing with code #119308. The website and app keep giving me E=>PE upgrade options, but upon selecting I get an error. I had the same issue with a TATL flight ex-FRA, which went through after a day or two, and have now been looking at the TATL flight to-MUC for the better part of 2 weeks.

Reservations and LH IT tell me N-class is not available, dummy booking shows N is available, so becoming somewhat of a farce. Somewhat puzzling that the website/app is seeing more options than an agent; would've figured it the other way round.
(more so that other upgrade options appear and then disappear, so the options are based on some view of inventory/fares)

Any insight as to if indeed this is a fault in the website/app or reservations agents needing a gentle nudge ?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 5:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
It could a matter of married segments... are you checking the complete route for N or just the one segement?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It could a matter of married segments... are you checking the complete route for N or just the one segement?
I checked the offered segment for N specifically as well as the flight combination (one-way) for N+Y, that last combination fluctuates quite often (N+Y <> E+Y) which is also reflected in the offered upgrade price...
One would think that given the options differ per segment (no PE), it would take that logic into account; but I might be ascribing too much intelligence to programmers and their logic...
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
SFO-FRA: W to E $430
SFO-FRA: W to P $710
FRA-IST: W to P $110
Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mict
SFO-FRA: W to E $430
SFO-FRA: W to P $710
FRA-IST: W to P $110
I miss the cheaper prices for upgrades during the pandemic (or maybe I was just lucky with the sales)

Paid LAX - FRA for $469 from L to P...now I'm sure it's somewhere around $800.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: LH HON**
My booking display offers fixed cash upgrades on all legs. Selecting one or many leads to an error:

(The current booking situation required a recalculation of upgrade availabilities. Unfortunately, we can no longer offer you an upgrade for a fixed price. We kindly ask for your understanding. You may try to request an upgrade at a later point in time again. (119308)”)

Can customer service see and execute fixed cash upgrades, or will they just treat it as a regular booking change request to higher class (ie charging rebooking fee + fare class difference)?
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
The call center can do the same fixed price upgrade. The ticket is not repriced, but the booking class is changed and an EMD is attached to the PNR to account for the upgrade. The underlying ticket stays the same.
Vixit likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
I called LH to enquire about upgrade availability from Premium Economy (N) to Business on an LH flight from HND - FRA. Call centre agent advised me that it was $570 USD for the upgrade, which I thought was very cheap. When I tried to do it online, the online system said the upgrade booking class was not available on that flight. So I was ready to pay the fare difference and then got told by the agent that it is a cash only upgrade available at the airport during check in. Agent advised me that it is very likely that there will be availability in J on this flight (flight is 5 months away BTW) and I'm better off paying for the upgrade at the airport if I wished to as it will be cheaper than the price she had quoted me.
I have not come across this before with other airlines in the past but has anyone had similar experience and has been able to successfully upgrade during check in ?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Been offered an upgrade SIN -> FRA (Business P -> First): $1300 USD.
On 747-8

Does this seem inline with typical offers? It seems fair but probably double what it would take for me to snap it up immediately.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by gambda
I called LH to enquire about upgrade availability from Premium Economy (N) to Business on an LH flight from HND - FRA. Call centre agent advised me that it was $570 USD for the upgrade, which I thought was very cheap. When I tried to do it online, the online system said the upgrade booking class was not available on that flight. So I was ready to pay the fare difference and then got told by the agent that it is a cash only upgrade available at the airport during check in. Agent advised me that it is very likely that there will be availability in J on this flight (flight is 5 months away BTW) and I'm better off paying for the upgrade at the airport if I wished to as it will be cheaper than the price she had quoted me.
I have not come across this before with other airlines in the past but has anyone had similar experience and has been able to successfully upgrade during check in ?

I am not 100% sure if Tokyo Haneda is an outstation that has compatible LH or contract employees to process an upgrade on the day of travel but it is possible in general to pay for an upgrade at check-in or if there is a LHG Lounge at the departure airport, at the lounge. However, in my experience, fixed upgrade offers or bid-upgrade would be cheaper.

In addition, online should work closer to the travel date.
gambda likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:01 am

VIE-MLE: PE to Business £433

Accepted the offer as it seems like a good price?
email2markt likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 12:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Booked on UA 016 ticket, is there anyway to upgrade at the airport? Or no?
Apparently not possible to see prices/options in advance for codeshare flights?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Booked on UA 016 ticket, is there anyway to upgrade at the airport? Or no?
Apparently not possible to see prices/options in advance for codeshare flights?
Only cash at the airport, codeshares are not upgradable in advance
thomas199023 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.