Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:53 pm
  #316  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 44
LH Paid Upgrades

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to upgrade one of my flights from Business class to First through Lufthansa and want to ask when payment is generally taken for a paid upgrade? The status of my ticket is showing confirmed in F, but no payments have been taken from my card and no confirmation email has been sent.

When I've contacted the LH service centre they tell me that the upgrade has been requested but not ticketed due to payment not being taken yet? I have sent my details multiple times and requested payment be taken but nothing seems to be happening.

Should I be worried and is there someone I can contact to ensure that our seats are confirmed?

Thanks!
wozup12 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:19 pm
  #317  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 12,015
Originally Posted by wozup12
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to upgrade one of my flights from Business class to First through Lufthansa and want to ask when payment is generally taken for a paid upgrade? The status of my ticket is showing confirmed in F, but no payments have been taken from my card and no confirmation email has been sent.

When I've contacted the LH service centre they tell me that the upgrade has been requested but not ticketed due to payment not being taken yet? I have sent my details multiple times and requested payment be taken but nothing seems to be happening.

Should I be worried and is there someone I can contact to ensure that our seats are confirmed?

Thanks!
Call the dedicated LH First Class hotline in Germany during daytime, they should be able to sort it out for you.

+49 800 627 0508, select German & they all speak English, its a free call on Skype
chris63 is online now  
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:05 am
  #318  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 332
Hey, looking for some advice from the experts here.

I am looking to make a reservation around Thanksgiving (I do this every year) and the last 2 years I purchased an economy ticket and did paid upgrades to biz class on the long segment (did 1 short haul eco, and 1 short haul upped to biz [maybe not necessary]). Anyways, I can obviously just purchase the whole journey in biz class already to start off with, but i don't really need some of the perks such as the extra suitcase + extra weight on the suitcase...so it kind of feels silly to buy biz directly.

Is it worth doing the eco + fixed price upgrades again? I had a huge problem earlier this year trying to cancel a flight with paid upgrades...still fighting with them about it. The chances of me cancelling this flight are very very low...probably only due to some kind of sickness would we not go. What do you guys advise? I guess the cheap fixed upgrades from covid timeframe are gone, so I am not even sure how much money I would save by doing eco + biz upgrades vs just buying biz outright.

There are sometimes some sales for cheaper biz class tickets I know too, but I don't know how lucky we will be with the timing since it is around a major US holiday. I try to balance time with convenience on the cost. For instance, right now there is a cheaper flight with LOT, but it has a 6h layover, so that is not ideal when bringing the Mrs. with me She wants to be at our destination as fast as possible haha.

Thanks for any advice that can be shared.
MasterGberry is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:41 am
  #319  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 32,528
Thanksgiving TATL is a cheap time to travel with paid business tickets. $2500 is not rare. Between buying coach and then 'hoping' to get an upgrade ... I would buy J outright and also earn more miles along the way. In any kind of irops or schedule adjustments (LH likes doing that early October or so) you'll be in much better shape when you have a paid business ticket. My 2 cents.
MasterGberry likes this.
cfischer is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:58 am
  #320  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by cfischer
Thanksgiving TATL is a cheap time to travel with paid business tickets. $2500 is not rare. Between buying coach and then 'hoping' to get an upgrade ... I would buy J outright and also earn more miles along the way. In any kind of irops or schedule adjustments (LH likes doing that early October or so) you'll be in much better shape when you have a paid business ticket. My 2 cents.
I see right now there is a $2500 option with LOT, what are the chances that one would appear with LH?
MasterGberry is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:19 am
  #321  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 2,949
My 3 cents… Tickets from Europe to the US might be cheap(er), US to Europe will probably not be. It sounds like you’re going to the US (but it’s not 100% clear) so you might want to wait for good prices.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:07 am
  #322  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by NYC1
My 3 cents Tickets from Europe to the US might be cheap(er), US to Europe will probably not be. It sounds like youre going to the US (but its not 100% clear) so you might want to wait for good prices.
I live in Europe, so i will be travelling to the US and back then to Europe. So a round trip, but I have noticed usually that if you start the round trip in Europe to the US it is cheaper than the other way around.
MasterGberry is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2022, 2:06 pm
  #323  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC -- UA 1K; SPG Platinum; HH Diamond.
Posts: 2,949
Originally Posted by MasterGberry
I live in Europe, so i will be travelling to the US and back then to Europe. So a round trip, but I have noticed usually that if you start the round trip in Europe to the US it is cheaper than the other way around.
Yes, that's right (and that was my point).
MasterGberry likes this.
NYC1 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:03 pm
  #324  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, HH Gold, EK Silver, AC 50K
Posts: 21
MUC-BOS: €399 through online check-in and €429 at the gate for Economy (M) to Business (C)
BellmanFord is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2023, 4:58 pm
  #325  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 29,605
HND-FRA in April Business (Z) to First for 886 (approx. 1000).
NewbieRunner is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2023, 11:18 pm
  #326  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 7,849
Originally Posted by BellmanFord
MUC-BOS: 399 through online check-in and 429 at the gate for Economy (M) to Business (C)
That's certainly decent. I'd have accepted that.
demue is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2023, 12:58 pm
  #327  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Hello. I have a trip EWR to MUC on LH in April and wanted to strategize about upgrading from Economy to Business.

I would appreciate answers to the following questions:

1. Bid upgrades start at USD 530 and fixed at USD720 (outbound) and USD820 (inbound). In the past, I bid the minimum and was accepted but looking through this thread, many people are not getting upgrades when they bid. Would you bid at this price spread or go with the fixed price.

2. Can you bid on one leg and do a fixed on the other?

3. In general, does the price you originally paid for the ticket play into the fixed price upgrade price you are offered? Also, does booking in Economy Light make the fixed price or bid starting price higher than booking in Economy Basic? If yes, approx. how much is the difference say from the NYC area to FRA or MUC?

4. My understanding from reading this thread is that the fixed price offer may go up but is unlikely to go down. Is this correct?

Last edited by hhychin; Mar 4, 2023 at 1:07 pm
hhychin is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2023, 1:24 pm
  #328  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CDG
Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,776
1) It depends on how important the upgrade is to you. If you're willing to risk it, put a bid 10-20 USD above the minimum and see what happens. The price difference on the red-eye between bid and fixed is less than 200 USD, so it might make sense to go for a fixed price upgrade on the outbound and a bid on the inbound.

2) Yes.

3) For fixed price upgrades, the underlying fare comes into play (i.e. the lower the fare, the more expensive the fixed price upgrade). It doesn't impact bids, however. Light vs. Basic shouldn't make a difference in the fixed price upgrade, but I'm not sure if the underlying baggage allowance changes after you upgrade from Economy Light to Business.

4) That is correct.
gojko88 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 2023, 2:34 pm
  #329  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by gojko88
1) It depends on how important the upgrade is to you. If you're willing to risk it, put a bid 10-20 USD above the minimum and see what happens. The price difference on the red-eye between bid and fixed is less than 200 USD, so it might make sense to go for a fixed price upgrade on the outbound and a bid on the inbound.

2) Yes.

3) For fixed price upgrades, the underlying fare comes into play (i.e. the lower the fare, the more expensive the fixed price upgrade). It doesn't impact bids, however. Light vs. Basic shouldn't make a difference in the fixed price upgrade, but I'm not sure if the underlying baggage allowance changes after you upgrade from Economy Light to Business.

4) That is correct.

Thanks for your prompt and complete response.
gojko88 likes this.
hhychin is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:38 am
  #330  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 2,029
Wow, a cash upgrade (not a bid, but a direct upgrade offer) for BOS-MUC from paid J to F for only $750. Was $2200 last week. I wont take it because its a short overnight flight but cant imagine it gets any cheaper than that.
callmedtop is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.