Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2023, 3:28 am

just a datapoint curve made chargeback from my paid upgrade and then disappeared that upgrade from booking. since Lufthansa was unable to refund me the amount It took one year with communication with LH but then decided chargeback and sorted...
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Upgraded GRU-FRA from Z to A for a fixed price of 1,250 EUR. At first, online transaction would not go. Called HON line and made a mistake of choosing "2" for English and was transferred to the infamous Manila center. The agent welcomes to HON service line, so I was optimistic. Unlike the other times with the regular ENG line whereby after giving PNR, there is a lot of typing and checking, this one was quick to confirm what I want. But then:
Agent: So, you want to rebook?
Me: No. I would like to use fixed price upgrade option.
Agent: So, you want buy a new seat?
Me: No. A fixed price upgrade please.
Agent: So, you want to buy first class.
Me: Yes, via fixed price
Agent: It will be 3,900 EUR.
Me: Online it was 1,.250 into A.
Agent: Upon recalculating, I...
Me: just hang up, as I did not need recalculating...

Went back online, tried again and it worked. But now I see that LH blocked 1,250 EUR from the first attempt, too. But no EMD, so it should drop. But will call later when DE opens.
jaro likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 6:48 am

A question. If have an economy ticket and make a cash upgrade to business (to first not allowed/possible). Can I then use points (from Asiana FF program in my case) to upgrade from business to first? Or would that still not be allowed/possible?
Old Sep 14, 2023, 7:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Double upgrades are not technically possible. The cash upgrade is just a service which is accounted for in a different way, the original ticket remains unchanged. When you attempt to upgrade with a separate instrument it will look at the underlying ticket and fail.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I think you can do a double cash upgrade. On my recent transatlantic trip LH was offering F class for about EUR 1000 for a reserveration that had already been upgraded M to C. Incidentally, the F cabin went out empty and we only had our group of 4 plus another pair in the second C cabin of the 340-600.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:54 am
hch

Originally Posted by gnaget
I think you can do a double cash upgrade. On my recent transatlantic trip LH was offering F class for about EUR 1000 for a reserveration that had already been upgraded M to C. Incidentally, the F cabin went out empty and we only had our group of 4 plus another pair in the second C cabin of the 340-600.
FRA-BOG?
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
The web interface shows the possibility but it would not work if you had tried.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA PremSilver
I'm currently seeing a cash upgrade price of 770 EUR (E->J) for a flight next week (FRA-LAX), but trying to purchase it returns an error via both the app and a browser. The last time this error happened (trying to upgrade to F on LX), I called and was quoted a much higher price than what I was being offered online. And..yep...same thing today. On the phone they want 1300 EUR. When I first started looking a few weeks ago, the cash upgrade price was 2350 EUR.

Flight load five days out is F1 A0 J9 C9 D9 Z0 P0 G9 E0 N0 Y9 B9M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0 T0 L0 K0.

Anyone want to offer a prediction of what might happen next with that upgrade price? It's completely non-functional online. Will the option to upgrade simply disappear soon?

Update: loads in business are now J9 C0 D0, just a couple of hours later. Online upgrade price updated to 1300 EUR.

Last edited by Fennario; Sep 15, 2023 at 3:38 am Reason: New information
Old Sep 15, 2023, 3:39 am

Programs: LH Sen****, Hertz PC, HHonors Diamond, IHG Pt
Originally Posted by Fennario
I'm currently seeing a cash upgrade price of 770 EUR (E->J) for a flight next week (FRA-LAX), but trying to purchase it returns an error via both the app and a browser. The last time this error happened (trying to upgrade to F on LX), I called and was quoted a much higher price than what I was being offered online. And..yep...same thing today. On the phone they want 1300 EUR. When I first started looking a few weeks ago, the cash upgrade price was 2350 EUR.

Flight load five days out is F1 A0 J9 C9 D9 Z0 P0 G9 E0 N0 Y9 B9M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0 T0 L0 K0.

Anyone want to offer a prediction of what might happen next with that upgrade price? It's completely non-functional online. Will the option to upgrade simply disappear soon?
At a 1300 price tag, you might rather want to speculate on an OpUp which might occur given E0 N0 and just G open.
As a SEN your OpUp chance is not too bad, especially if they oversell Y.
Fennario likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Red BP
At a 1300 price tag, you might rather want to speculate on an OpUp which might occur given E0 N0 and just G open.
As a SEN your OpUp chance is not too bad, especially if they oversell Y.
Ironically, that very speculation—or rather curiosity—is how I convinced myself to book E in the first place. I got my first ever OpUp in January (into F for a 13-hour flight), and that was before I joined this forum or had any clue about what an OpUp even was. So in my (not so) infinite wisdom, I decided to book this one trip as E outbound and A inbound, rather than my usual J/J for about the same price, curious to find out if maybe I'd get an OpUp out of E.

There is of course one problem with this experiment: I might actually have to fly for nearly 12 hours while sitting up unless I abandon the experiment and pay for an upgrade. For 770 EUR I was willing to give up my experiment, but I guess I was too slow, and the suspense continues...
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Fennario
Ironically, that very speculation—or rather curiosity—is how I convinced myself to book E in the first place. I got my first ever OpUp in January (into F for a 13-hour flight), and that was before I joined this forum or had any clue about what an OpUp even was. So in my (not so) infinite wisdom, I decided to book this one trip as E outbound and A inbound, rather than my usual J/J for about the same price, curious to find out if maybe I'd get an OpUp out of E.

There is of course one problem with this experiment: I might actually have to fly for nearly 12 hours while sitting up unless I abandon the experiment and pay for an upgrade. For 770 EUR I was willing to give up my experiment, but I guess I was too slow, and the suspense continues...
Good luck & let us know how it goes but at w9 i would not be very hopeful ….
Fennario likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:41 am

How do these upgrades work with regards to the connecting flight? I've been monitoring a long-haul flight for about a month now in ExpertFlyer. On at least two occasions, a lot more availability came up in discounted codes for the business cabin on the long-haul leg, and each time there was a corresponding drop in the cash upgrade price within the LH system. And when those codes dwindled back down, the cash upgrade price reverted to the higher amount again. I watched this happen at least twice. The curious thing, though, was that each time the codes changed for the long-haul flight, there was a simultaneous change in the connecting flight's cash upgrade price.

It makes sense to me that code changes for any given flight in EF would correspond with price changes in the manage booking options. What I don't understand is why the connecting flight's upgrade price seems dependent entirely on what's happening with the long-haul segment. Why does it work that way? Is it possible that it's actually a coincidence that the codes changed? Or could it be that my account activity somehow triggered the changes by indicating a lot of interest in an upgrade?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Is LH playing married segments games?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Interesting. That thread even regards the exact same long-haul segment. I can't even wrap my brain around the computer programming that must go into these games, so I'll just have to accept that the airline is going to win.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 1:00 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Next level of M&M “competence” on the credit of award miles for segments that were upgraded via fixed-price instrument.
I purchased a J->F fixed price upgrade for 1940 CHF. Only 3800 award miles posted. So I wrote to my HON PA and asked for assistance with the correction. And a few days later I received this from M&M:
This time we are unable to credit higher award miles to your Miles & More account for your paid First Class upgrade. According to the agreement with Swiss, higher award miles are not guaranteed for a fixed-price upgrade to First class. We ask for your understanding in this matter.”

Let us see what M&M will respond after giving them the link to M&M webpage and the screenshot, both indicating that the amount of award miles needs to be 6 times the price of the upgrade…
chris63 and Fennario like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.