Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Has anyone upgraded from regular economy to PE or business on FRA-RUH or return? Wondering what a good price is. Currently getting an offer for $180USD each way to PE. $1150 to Biz oubound, and $750 return Going to is an afternoon flight. Coming back is an overnight flight.
I don't really have any idea what a good price is considering I got FRA-DXB less than two years ago upgrading from Economy to Business for $199USD

Last edited by eng3; Dec 3, 2023 at 6:40 pm
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by olm022
Next level of M&M competence on the credit of award miles for segments that were upgraded via fixed-price instrument.
I purchased a J->F fixed price upgrade for 1940 CHF. Only 3800 award miles posted. So I wrote to my HON PA and asked for assistance with the correction. And a few days later I received this from M&M:
This time we are unable to credit higher award miles to your Miles & More account for your paid First Class upgrade. According to the agreement with Swiss, higher award miles are not guaranteed for a fixed-price upgrade to First class. We ask for your understanding in this matter.

Let us see what M&M will respond after giving them the link to M&M webpage and the screenshot, both indicating that the amount of award miles needs to be 6 times the price of the upgrade
An update: the issue got eventually resolved, but it took two more emails: one to inform M&M that my fixed-price upgrade was purchased in advance and not during check in (had to attach EMD to confirm this) and another email to give them a link to M&M webpage where it mentions that award miles for fixed-price upgrades are credited with 6 times the price of the price... Somewhat a disappointing experience on such a simple issue.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Just adding a data point....

FRA-YVR in June 2024

PE to J

Bid upgrade starting at 580€

Fixed price was currently 770€

Current inventory wide open
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 G9 E9 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0 T0 L0 K0
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:18 pm

LH FRA - PVG 12 hours flight on B748, 3 weeks away on NYE, being offered 1250 EUR for Z to A upgrade, is this price tag worth biting?
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA PremSilver
Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
LH FRA - PVG 12 hours flight on B748, 3 weeks away on NYE, being offered 1250 EUR for Z to A upgrade, is this price tag worth biting?
I'd vote yes on that one.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fennario
I'd vote yes on that one.
Actually fixed price upgrade is 1250USD, bidding starts at 1250 EUR, weird offer...
chris63, Gamerska, Vixit and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:57 am

Smile

Went ahead and bought the upgrade for the experience , apparently all first seats are still available and looks like a light loaded NYE flight, not sure if the upgrade price will continue to go down in the next 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
Actually fixed price upgrade is 1250USD, bidding starts at 1250 EUR, weird offer...
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:14 pm

My son and I are booked on LCY-FRA-EWR in Sep 2024. We have cash Economy Light tickets. I'm seeing these upgrade options for the FRA-EWR segment. It is LH 402 operated by a B748. Is it normal for J to be less than PE? Or am I missing something? Our tickets are on separate PNRs, so this price is per person.

Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by g289t
My son and I are booked on LCY-FRA-EWR in Sep 2024. We have cash Economy Light tickets. I'm seeing these upgrade options for the FRA-EWR segment. It is LH 402 operated by a B748. Is it normal for J to be less than PE? Or am I missing something? Our tickets are on separate PNRs, so this price is per person.

Not normal at all, grab it while you can
NA-Flyer and g289t like this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by chris63
It may be either an IT issue and the upgrade to C wont go through. Or it may be that for PE, LH is willing to sell only higher booking classes, hence higher upgrade price, while for C there is availability in lower booking classes, hence lower price. I suspect that for C, LH is selling P, while for PE there is G/E on sale.
chris63, g289t and romans like this.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
We're planning to grab them, but wait until New Years to utilize credits from credit cards. I'm going to take the risk that these are still available. We booked them over a month ago, and they were available immediately after booking.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olm022
It may be either an IT issue and the upgrade to C wont go through. Or it may be that for PE, LH is willing to sell only higher booking classes, hence higher upgrade price, while for C there is availability in lower booking classes, hence lower price. I suspect that for C, LH is selling P, while for PE there is G/E on sale.
Yes, something is not right, but you can get bargains, recently booked Eco flex longhaul for a Family member, PE was half the price of Y, purchase went through & upgrade to Business only requires 1 evoucher
olm022 and g289t like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Any recent experience on how much would be the upgrade offer from J to F on the LAX to MUC flight onboard the A380?
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Any recent experience on how much would be the upgrade offer from J to F on the LAX to MUC flight onboard the A380?
It will be variable depending on the load & projection, one way to find out is book a J ticket and see, if you don't like it you can cancel for free within 24 hours.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by g289t

Update: I upgraded one of our tickets yesterday. I wanted to use a credit card credit that reset on Jan 1. The GBP price was fluctuating a bit, maybe based on the exchange rate with the EUR. It came out to about 750 USD. The upgrade processed successfully, and I was able to select a business class seat on the upper deck.
Fennario likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.