Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:29 pm
  #346  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 7,547
Is the paid upgrade price for Business to First the same price whether your base fare is an award ticket or a paid ticket?
nologic is offline  
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:48 am
  #347  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 7,547
My Aug BOS-MUC flight booked in award business class thru AC is 7 weeks away.

Bid to upgrade shows a minimum bid of $1150.

What do people think purchase upgrade price will be?

Available inventory shows F6 A6.
nologic is offline  
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:48 pm
  #348  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 7,547
Originally Posted by nologic
My Aug BOS-MUC flight booked in award business class thru AC is 7 weeks away.

Bid to upgrade shows a minimum bid of $1150.

What do people think purchase upgrade price will be?

Available inventory shows F6 A6.
Also, how much are the prepaid upgrades from economy to business on 1-2 hour intra-Europe flights?
nologic is offline  
Old Jun 22, 2023, 3:46 pm
  #349  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by nologic
Also, how much are the prepaid upgrades from economy to business on 1-2 hour intra-Europe flights?
It depends on the class of your eco ticket and what class upgrade is available.

For your previous question that is most likely an A ticket upgrade you see, but you can always call the LH phone line and they can confirm if it is an A or F ticket for the fixed upgrade cost.
MasterGberry is offline  
Old Jun 22, 2023, 4:46 pm
  #350  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 7,547
Originally Posted by MasterGberry;[url=tel:35354602
35354602]It depends on the class of your eco ticket and what class upgrade is available.

For your previous question that is most likely an A ticket upgrade you see, but you can always call the LH phone line and they can confirm if it is an A or F ticket for the fixed upgrade cost.
Do I get miles if its booked into F/A on top of an award ticket?

The euro ticket is probably a low class because its $120 economy fair versus a $320 business class fare.

Last edited by nologic; Jun 23, 2023 at 7:57 am
nologic is offline  
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:24 pm
  #351  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: OS SEN, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by nologic
Do I get miles if its an effort and a ticket on top of an award ticket?

The euro ticket is probably a low class because its $120 economy fair versus a $320 business class fare.
I don't know the answer to this question...my guess is no since the base ticket was free, but maybe a veteran here can confirm that.
MasterGberry is offline  
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:38 pm
  #352  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Posts: 5,865
$650 for SFO-MUC in July from H to business.
sfozrhfco is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2023, 2:39 am
  #353  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 251
I am flying MUC-LAX and then LAX-MUC a few months later.
Right now the MUC-LAX cash upgrade from economy to business is $1800. Thats too much for me so Ill likely try and do a bid.

However, my LAX-MUC leg has a cash upgrade price of $900 from economy to business. My family is a party of four with two kids. The flight is overnight. Im thinking about paying the $900. Am I crazy? I think a great deal would be more like $600-$700 but the certainty of locking in the 4 business seats is attractive, especially given this is an overnight flight. Also, my economy flight was only $220 so $1120 one way for business class doesnt seem outrageous. Am I wrong?

if I take the cash upgrade for LAX-MUC, will I still have the option of a cash upgrade on MUC-LAX at a later time or do I have to take the upgrade on both legs at the same time?

This is my first time doing this, so thanks in advance for your help!
ashley1245 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2023, 3:07 am
  #354  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,065
Originally Posted by ashley1245
I am flying MUC-LAX and then LAX-MUC a few months later.
Right now the MUC-LAX cash upgrade from economy to business is $1800. Thats too much for me so Ill likely try and do a bid.

However, my LAX-MUC leg has a cash upgrade price of $900 from economy to business. My family is a party of four with two kids. The flight is overnight. Im thinking about paying the $900. Am I crazy? I think a great deal would be more like $600-$700 but the certainty of locking in the 4 business seats is attractive, especially given this is an overnight flight. Also, my economy flight was only $220 so $1120 one way for business class doesnt seem outrageous. Am I wrong?

if I take the cash upgrade for LAX-MUC, will I still have the option of a cash upgrade on MUC-LAX at a later time or do I have to take the upgrade on both legs at the same time?

This is my first time doing this, so thanks in advance for your help!
As there is four of you I would absolutely do this before LH change their mind and put the price up. If it was just one person then I might pause.

As for the round trip, I dont know. But for a recent JFK-MUC / MUC-JFK one way (with 4 day stop over) I was still offered the cash upgrade on the 2nd segment after placing a bid for upgrade (successful for $600) and after arriving in MUC.
dkerr is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:06 am
  #355  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 7,547
My flight in award business class booked thru AC is in 41 days. First class showing F6/A6.

I do not see and buy up confirmed upgrade option.

I see bid to upgrade w starting bid at $1150.

Will I get a cash option? Wait fir two weekend out for partner award first class space to open up?
nologic is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:41 am
  #356  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by nologic
My flight in award business class booked thru AC is in 41 days. First class showing F6/A6.

I do not see and buy up confirmed upgrade option.

I see bid to upgrade w starting bid at $1150.

Will I get a cash option? Wait fir two weekend out for partner award first class space to open up?
For my LH441 booked through UA I never got a cash upgrade option only the bid. My bid was unsuccessful and there was no upgrade option at check in despite F3. Im going to have one last try at the airport when I drop bags!

I saw a message on this board saying there is always a cash upgrade option but that has certainly not been my experience
mattg85 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:45 am
  #357  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SUV
Programs: UA *G MM
Posts: 7,033
I am in the same "boat" as sbt007 having a fully refundable ticket and executed a paid upgrade to business. The ticket might actually be refunded. During the process I carefully monitored if there was any indication that the upgrade was non-refundable. There was none. If the ticket is cancelled and refunded (2 weeks from now and there is a small chance) then I guess that I will have to make a chargeback with the CC company.
Following the Amadeus info the upgrade is an EMD-A, which then would be changed to EMD-S once the e-ticket is cancelled?

It does say in the Amadeus link that EMDs can be refunded, so the fact that it is an EMD is not an excuse for LH:Technically speaking, the following transactions can be performed on EMD (both EMD-A and EMD-S):
  • Issuance
  • Display
  • Cancellation
  • Refund (and refund cancellation)
  • Exchange (and exchange cancellation)
  • History display


Originally Posted by oliver2002
The cash upgrade paid is accounted for with an EMD. That EMD can be used to upgrade the rebooked ticket (volontary or otherwise) but cannot be refunded.


https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...sked-questions
gnaget is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:01 am
  #358  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 48,483
If the ticket is cancelled and refunded due to an irreg situation the upgrade will be refunded. If its a volontary change, LH will allow you to use the upgrade for a different flight, but the cash paid will not be refunded.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:42 pm
  #359  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SUV
Programs: UA *G MM
Posts: 7,033
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If the ticket is cancelled and refunded due to an irreg situation the upgrade will be refunded. If its a volontary change, LH will allow you to use the upgrade for a different flight, but the cash paid will not be refunded.
They need to specify that when you buy it. For the bidding upgrades it's quite clear. I predict success if we do a chargeback. I recently was successful in charging back an entire ticket after having flown the outbound when SAS screwed up royally and cancelled the return in conjunction with na involuntary change due to change in aircraft from A330 to A321. SAS insisted that we had cancelled it........
gnaget is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:57 pm
  #360  
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 302
Originally Posted by gnaget
They need to specify that when you buy it. For the bidding upgrades it's quite clear. I predict success if we do a chargeback. I recently was successful in charging back an entire ticket after having flown the outbound when SAS screwed up royally and cancelled the return in conjunction with na involuntary change due to change in aircraft from A330 to A321. SAS insisted that we had cancelled it........
From my exprience LH does not challange charge backs. What I heared from one of my friends that few months after chargeback they asked him to pay what was recovered through charge back.
Tomasz Pa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.