Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Old Apr 15, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold. Miles and More SEN.
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Wow, a cash upgrade (not a bid, but a direct upgrade offer) for BOS-MUC from paid J to F for only $750. Was $2200 last week. I wonít take it because itís a short overnight flight but canít imagine it gets any cheaper than that.
Good deal.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: M&M Senator
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Wow, a cash upgrade (not a bid, but a direct upgrade offer) for BOS-MUC from paid J to F for only $750. Was $2200 last week. I wonít take it because itís a short overnight flight but canít imagine it gets any cheaper than that.
I contrast this to a cash upgrade on LX (no bid offer available) for JFK - ZRH from paid J to F for $1,800 outbound and over $4,800 inbound (that is not a typo - $4,800 inbound).
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Gamerska
I contrast this to a cash upgrade on LX (no bid offer available) for JFK - ZRH from paid J to F for $1,800 outbound and over $4,800 inbound (that is not a typo - $4,800 inbound).
My next flight can be upgraded to F for only CHF 3,270. A bargain compared to your flight
Old Apr 17, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: M&M Senator
Originally Posted by MichielR
My next flight can be upgraded to F for only CHF 3,270. A bargain compared to your flight
I wonder, if someone actually will pay either the amount presented to you or me. I truly wonder.
Old May 11, 2023, 12:09 pm

I took a cash upgrade to premium economy on a LH MUC-SFO flight in July. There are 4 of us and I didn't want to lose the PE option and also wanted seats close to each other. Good thing too, because PE cabin is all sold out couple of days after I took the upgrade.

However Business has a lot of space still. But it does not show me the cash upgrade option for that any more because I took the PE upgrade. Wanted to keep an eye on it in case it dropped to something reasonable (It showed 2250 EUR when I initially booked). Anyone know if I can still call in to get an upgrade price, or something similar? I am assuming if I call in they will provide a published fare difference rather than the (varying) online special upgrade offer?
I am reluctant to try the bidding option (which is still available) because we want to at least be seated in pairs of two seats and a last-minute allocation seems risky for that. Also not quite sure if the PE upgrade amount is refunded if the bid is accepted.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:35 pm

An update on this - two different agents told me that the cash upgrade part is not refundable whether I cancel or change the flight. Is this even legal? My base ticket is a fully flex ticket. Why is there no clarity on this? And very few on this forum seem to have any experience on cancelling tickets that contain a paid upgrade. Probably better to stick to united from next time.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sbt007
I took a cash upgrade to premium economy on a LH MUC-SFO flight in July. There are 4 of us and I didn't want to lose the PE option and also wanted seats close to each other. Good thing too, because PE cabin is all sold out couple of days after I took the upgrade.

However Business has a lot of space still. But it does not show me the cash upgrade option for that any more because I took the PE upgrade. Wanted to keep an eye on it in case it dropped to something reasonable (It showed 2250 EUR when I initially booked). Anyone know if I can still call in to get an upgrade price, or something similar? I am assuming if I call in they will provide a published fare difference rather than the (varying) online special upgrade offer?
I am reluctant to try the bidding option (which is still available) because we want to at least be seated in pairs of two seats and a last-minute allocation seems risky for that. Also not quite sure if the PE upgrade amount is refunded if the bid is accepted.

No refund as you are bidding from PE to bussiness.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa
No refund as you are bidding from PE to bussiness.
Not talking about a bid. I took a cash upgrade from economy to PE.

The bid option to business is still available to me. The bid option terms and conditions clearly say it is not refundable.
While doing the cash upgrade it did not say anything like that. In fact, when I log in it says "terms and conditions of original ticket apply"
Old May 27, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by sbt007
Not talking about a bid. I took a cash upgrade from economy to PE.

The bid option to business is still available to me. The bid option terms and conditions clearly say it is not refundable.
While doing the cash upgrade it did not say anything like that. In fact, when I log in it says "terms and conditions of original ticket apply"
but your bid is now from PE to business - hence cheaper as it is and hence no refund
Old May 27, 2023, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by daumueller
but your bid is now from PE to business - hence cheaper as it is and hence no refund
I don't think I am explaining myself well. I am not talking about a bid at all. I have not placed any bid.

The Lufthansa folks on the phone are saying that the cash upgrade amount I paid from economy to PE is not refundable in case I cancelled or changed the date on the ticket. The original economy ticket was fully flexible.
Old May 28, 2023, 11:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
You can apply the upgrade to the rebooked ticket, but the EMD purchased to do the upgrade is non refundable.
Old May 28, 2023, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can apply the upgrade to the rebooked ticket, but the EMD purchased to do the upgrade is non refundable.
Thanks. Is the additional cash upgrade amount the EMD? If I choose to rebook the ticket, can this amount be applied towards a new upgrade? Or is this lost forever in case of any voluntary changes.
Old May 29, 2023, 9:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
The cash upgrade paid is accounted for with an EMD. That EMD can be used to upgrade the rebooked ticket (volontary or otherwise) but cannot be refunded.

https://servicehub.amadeus.com/c/por...sked-questions

What is an EMD?

An EMD, or Electronic Miscellaneous Document, allows you to sell and track the usage of charges, for example excess baggage charges, miscellaneous charges, penalty fees, a residual value, lounge access charges, and so on. The EMD is the sole solution for all fees collected outside a ticket. It replaces all existing paper and electronic miscellaneous documents.

With an EMD you can:
  • Accept payment for various types of services including air transportation, group deposits, rebooking fees and other charges.
  • Issue an electronic document and print it on blank paper (depending on your office profile settings).
  • Automatically integrate miscellaneous charges into invoices, sales reports,back office accounting and external systems (reservation systems and Departure Control Systems DCSs).
sbt007 likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I have a transatlantic itin booked as a LH ticket. It is offering USD 720 buy up to C class from refundable eco for IAD-MUC. It was supposed to have been booked as a UA ticket and there is a reason that I want that on the return. Would LH still offer the USD 720 buy up if it is a UA ticket?
Old Jun 16, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
last minute purchase, will i get an offer?

Last edited by deeman; Jun 16, 2023 at 2:54 pm Reason: ended up buying a one way on miles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.