Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Old Nov 16, 2022, 3:06 am
  #301  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 3,154
Originally Posted by chris63
Only cash at the airport, codeshares are not upgradable in advance
Thanks will report back tomorrow morning!
Would you be bale to see an offer on the check-in machine, or would I need to ask to someone in person at the counter?
thomas199023 is offline  
Old Nov 16, 2022, 3:15 am
  #302  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 48,380
Online checkin will also offer an upgrade.
ebayj likes this.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:55 am
  #303  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SFO, OAK
Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 203
should I change?

I'm being offered a $740 upgrade to business on my SFO-FRA leg on a 016 ticket and a LH flight number.

Now I want to change the ticket to the SAN-MUC nonstop on 28 DEC 2022 paid premium economy which would book into UA flight number 8932. Looks like the fare class would book into A/M.

Am I correct in understanding that if I do this change and end up with a UA flight number I would not get a fixed price upgrade offer on the LH website?

Last edited by crunchy; Nov 20, 2022 at 5:26 am Reason: more info
crunchy is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:40 am
  #304  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: FRA
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 1,580
Originally Posted by crunchy
Am I correct in understanding that if I do this change and end up with a UA flight number I would not get a fixed price upgrade offer on the LH website?
Correct. Codeshares are generally only upgradeable at the airport.
supine is online now  
Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:19 am
  #305  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOM-SIN-EWR
Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Posts: 8,606
Originally Posted by crunchy
I'm being offered a $740 upgrade to business on my SFO-FRA leg on a 016 ticket and a LH flight number.

Now I want to change the ticket to the SAN-MUC nonstop on 28 DEC 2022 paid premium economy which would book into UA flight number 8932. Looks like the fare class would book into A/M.

Am I correct in understanding that if I do this change and end up with a UA flight number I would not get a fixed price upgrade offer on the LH website?
Personally I would first book another ticket to see if UA will switch the codeshare flight number and see - then cancel immediately afterwards...

(That flight appears to be wide-open in business class, although I-class is not available)
SuperFlyBoy is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:24 am
  #306  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SFO, OAK
Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Posts: 203
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Personally I would first book another ticket to see if UA will switch the codeshare flight number and see - then cancel immediately afterwards...

(That flight appears to be wide-open in business class, although I-class is not available)
Do you mean book it and then call to ask for the switch? I already called before booking and they told me they'd book it as a LH flight number for a mere $1700 difference over the UA codeshare.

Is the I class what I need to get the offer if I've got a LH flight number?
crunchy is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:02 am
  #307  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOM-SIN-EWR
Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Posts: 8,606
Originally Posted by crunchy
Do you mean book it and then call to ask for the switch? I already called before booking and they told me they'd book it as a LH flight number for a mere $1700 difference over the UA codeshare.

Is the I class what I need to get the offer if I've got a LH flight number?
Hmmm, if they have already confirmed that it would cost more, then booking a new ticket would not make sense...

You need to have the equivalent LH fare class to your United codeshare flight fare class available - and only then can you put in for the upgrade - which would end up being in I-class, yes - but you first need to convert from a codeshare flight to the native LH flight number.
SuperFlyBoy is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:23 am
  #308  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 48,380
Cash upgrades go into the next available booking class in the desired cabin. No need for I award inventory.
oliver2002 is online now  
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:07 am
  #309  
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zulu Romeo Hotel
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Posts: 4,650
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Hmmm, if they have already confirmed that it would cost more, then booking a new ticket would not make sense...

You need to have the equivalent LH fare class to your United codeshare flight fare class available - and only then can you put in for the upgrade - which would end up being in I-class, yes - but you first need to convert from a codeshare flight to the native LH flight number.
it does not need to be I-Class. it is the next available revenue booking designator (RBD), and depending on the RBD, the upsell will be more expensive. I always check if P class is available before booking in Y and doing the cash upgrade.
"I" is for awards.
59Impala is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:09 am
  #310  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Flying Blue Gold. Miles and More SEN.
Posts: 194
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but what booking class would a paid upgrade be from Premium Economy to Business?

I've done it before and ended up with Business P (x1), which meant less miles than my Premium Economy E (x1.5).

Is Business P the default for a paid upgrade through the Lufthansa app?
Yony is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:27 am
  #311  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 3,440
The default is the cheapest available which will also determine the price
daumueller is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:25 pm
  #312  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Flying Blue Gold. Miles and More SEN.
Posts: 194
Originally Posted by daumueller
The default is the cheapest available which will also determine the price
Thanks. It's very cheap so I'm guessing it's a P fare.
Yony is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:19 am
  #313  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: outside NYC
Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Posts: 80
MUC-YUL from PE (N) to J: 539 at gate
mrgoodkat is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:19 pm
  #314  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SIN (LEJ once a year)
Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 7,790
Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
MUC-YUL from PE (N) to J: 539 at gate
That's fairly decent and worth a consideration.
demue is online now  
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:28 pm
  #315  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Brisbane
Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Posts: 424
From what i've observed, upgrades from Business (P) to First (SIN -> FRA):
F: Approx €3800
A: Approx €1200
Plus Grade €1000+
Is it possible for upgrades to be cheaper than this at final check-in / airport if there are no takers? Or is Plusgrade generally the lowest price they'll accept?
email2markt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.