Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Old Nov 16, 2022, 3:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chris63
Only cash at the airport, codeshares are not upgradable in advance
Thanks will report back tomorrow morning!
Would you be bale to see an offer on the check-in machine, or would I need to ask to someone in person at the counter?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 3:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Online checkin will also offer an upgrade.
ebayj likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
should I change?

I'm being offered a $740 upgrade to business on my SFO-FRA leg on a 016 ticket and a LH flight number.

Now I want to change the ticket to the SAN-MUC nonstop on 28 DEC 2022 paid premium economy which would book into UA flight number 8932. Looks like the fare class would book into A/M.

Am I correct in understanding that if I do this change and end up with a UA flight number I would not get a fixed price upgrade offer on the LH website?

Last edited by crunchy; Nov 20, 2022 at 5:26 am Reason: more info
Old Nov 20, 2022, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by crunchy
Am I correct in understanding that if I do this change and end up with a UA flight number I would not get a fixed price upgrade offer on the LH website?
Correct. Codeshares are generally only upgradeable at the airport.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I'm being offered a $740 upgrade to business on my SFO-FRA leg on a 016 ticket and a LH flight number.

Now I want to change the ticket to the SAN-MUC nonstop on 28 DEC 2022 paid premium economy which would book into UA flight number 8932. Looks like the fare class would book into A/M.

Personally I would first book another ticket to see if UA will switch the codeshare flight number and see - then cancel immediately afterwards...

(That flight appears to be wide-open in business class, although I-class is not available)
Old Nov 21, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Personally I would first book another ticket to see if UA will switch the codeshare flight number and see - then cancel immediately afterwards...

(That flight appears to be wide-open in business class, although I-class is not available)
Do you mean book it and then call to ask for the switch? I already called before booking and they told me they'd book it as a LH flight number for a mere $1700 difference over the UA codeshare.

Is the I class what I need to get the offer if I've got a LH flight number?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:02 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Do you mean book it and then call to ask for the switch? I already called before booking and they told me they'd book it as a LH flight number for a mere $1700 difference over the UA codeshare.

Is the I class what I need to get the offer if I've got a LH flight number?
Hmmm, if they have already confirmed that it would cost more, then booking a new ticket would not make sense...

You need to have the equivalent LH fare class to your United codeshare flight fare class available - and only then can you put in for the upgrade - which would end up being in I-class, yes - but you first need to convert from a codeshare flight to the native LH flight number.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Cash upgrades go into the next available booking class in the desired cabin. No need for I award inventory.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:07 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Hmmm, if they have already confirmed that it would cost more, then booking a new ticket would not make sense...

You need to have the equivalent LH fare class to your United codeshare flight fare class available - and only then can you put in for the upgrade - which would end up being in I-class, yes - but you first need to convert from a codeshare flight to the native LH flight number.
it does not need to be I-Class. it is the next available revenue booking designator (RBD), and depending on the RBD, the upsell will be more expensive. I always check if P class is available before booking in Y and doing the cash upgrade.
"I" is for awards.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold. Miles and More SEN.
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but what booking class would a paid upgrade be from Premium Economy to Business?

I've done it before and ended up with Business P (x1), which meant less miles than my Premium Economy E (x1.5).

Is Business P the default for a paid upgrade through the Lufthansa app?
Old Dec 7, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: LH HON
The default is the cheapest available which will also determine the price
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold. Miles and More SEN.
Originally Posted by daumueller
The default is the cheapest available which will also determine the price
Thanks. It's very cheap so I'm guessing it's a P fare.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
MUC-YUL from PE (N) to J: 539 at gate
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
MUC-YUL from PE (N) to J: 539 at gate
That's fairly decent and worth a consideration.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
From what i've observed, upgrades from Business (P) to First (SIN -> FRA):
F: Approx €3800
A: Approx €1200
Plus Grade €1000+
Is it possible for upgrades to be cheaper than this at final check-in / airport if there are no takers? Or is Plusgrade generally the lowest price they'll accept?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.