Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Agreed- I had that seat again this week from ORD that is definitely the better option in business class (far more foot room).
I'm flying from Houston to Venice in July with my girlfriend. We have this airplane from Chicago to Frankfurt. Currently we have two seats upstairs in 85.

Since we are together, is upstairs better with less people, or do you still vote for downstairs?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I've sat in both 1A and 2A (on the same flight!) and my conclusion is 1A is great if you are travelling with someone or if 1K is free! Otherwise I'd choose 2A. I think the advantage of the nose curve is exaggerated. On my recent flight there were only two F pax in 1A and 1K, but the pax in 1K decided to move to 2K.
Are 1A/K close enough together for the occupants to comfortably converse with each other? Or would you choose the double seats in the middle of Row 3?
Old May 22, 2014, 4:56 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N1003U
Are 1A/K close enough together for the occupants to comfortably converse with each other? Or would you choose the double seats in the middle of Row 3?
If you want to have a long conversation with your travelling companion you'd be better off in 3D/G. 1A/K should be fine for occasional chats.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Kleffen
I'm flying from Houston to Venice in July with my girlfriend. We have this airplane from Chicago to Frankfurt. Currently we have two seats upstairs in 85.

Since we are together, is upstairs better with less people, or do you still vote for downstairs?

Thanks!
I'd choose upstairs for the spacious storage by the window.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Why is that today FRA-HKG metal has been changed in the last minute from 748i to 744???!!!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The advisory for the icing on the GenX engines is still in force, so I would assume WX enroute is not favorable for 748 ops: http://www.aviationweather.gov/progchart/high?region=f
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:21 pm

Should seats next to the galley be avoided on the LH 747-8?

Two senior citizens will be flying. The have not flown a lot.

The insist on sitting in the row next to the galley in order avoid having seats in front of them.

In a Lufthansa 747-8l do the seats next to the galley usually have more leg room?

Below are things I read about seating next to the galley.

It can be noisy.
It can be loud.
The lights from the galley can be bright.
The galley is sometimes used to secure a baby bassinet.

Should they sit there?

Last edited by 17jwblue17; Jun 28, 2014 at 11:42 pm
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:47 pm

no ,dont sit thete on an old lufthansa plane
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:57 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the OP is asking specifically about LH seating, I'll move this to the specific forum for that airline. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:48 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WORLDWIDE TRAVELER
no ,dont sit thete on an old lufthansa plane
747-8 should bei one of the newest planes flying.

HTB.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 17jwblue17
The insist on sitting in the row next to the galley in order avoid having seats in front of them.
A bit more details would be nice.... there are a few different seat maps on the 748 and not all exit/galley rows are created equal. And some of these carry an additional fee or are not available for general booking as well..
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:37 am

There's also this thread to check.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...e-reports.html
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Why is that today FRA-HKG metal has been changed in the last minute from 748i to 744???!!!
tomorrow's FRA-BOS changed from 744 to 748i ... now seat 1A. Weird change ... especially because they are running the earlier flight with a 744 ... lot's of capacity. So far empty F on the late flight.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:58 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Where to sit on the 748i [merged 748i experience reports]

Booked on the LH716 6th of November Seat 1A.

Empty cabin sofar.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
During the Y+ media flight on 02Oct14, LH gave us pretty much unfettered access to whole airplane (D-ABYQ), even the flight deck. This was a nice opportunity to wander around and explore some places on a 748 that are not readily accessible or convenient to check out on a normal flight:

I spent about 5 minutes on the flight deck (the door was open for the whole flight for anyone to come in an look around). It is surprisingly roomy in there. When I took this photo we were on a heading of 324, passing across the north end of the island of Sylt descending through 2500ft. on the way to 2000ft. About 10 seconds after I took this picture, we made a very sporty left turn to the south and flew parallel to to coast of the island before heading on to BRE for an approach and go-around maneuver. I think the flight crew was having a lot of fun cruising around Germany at low altitude.

For those not familiar, Sylt look like this (looking south over the island).

Crew rest behind the flight deck immediately across from the upstairs front lavatory.

Upstairs cabin (fitted out with C seats) on the 748.

Galley at the rear of the upper deck. It is serviced via a "dumbwaiter" (small elevator) for the service carts from the lower decks.

Business class cabin on the main deck. I sat in many of the business class seats all over upstairs and downstairs, and quite honestly, unless you have a personal preference for front/back/aisle/window, I did not note any location to be particularly advantageous.

Though this was a flight to show off the Y+ product, the journalists seemed to have an obsession with the F cabin. I suppose they don't get to see it often when flying...

Individual closets for F passengers. Plenty of room for a carry-on, hang a jacket, and a computer bag, and anything else you might be carrying. Each locker is individually labeled for each F seat.

Purser station directly behind Door 2L. I think this station is bigger than my first office.

A sight I don't see so often: the Y cabin from the very last row...

Maybe it's just me, but I find this an ironic tail number for an LH flagship...YQ...

Last edited by N1003U; Oct 6, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.