Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
I've booked a flight IAD-FRA next month, 83K on the upper deck, very excited, it's not often I wish my 7hr flight was a 10hr flight : )

The upper deck, rows 83, 85-88 are wide open. I would imagine 84, being an exit is blocked for elites. I would like a window seat but I am concerned that with the way the seats on the UD stagger, that I may get shorted a window or worse, have something weird like 1/4 a window shared with their neighbor behind that opens the window every time you close that because the setting sun is shining on you?

Can someone someone comment on UD seats to avoid because they are short a window

Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Hadrian35
I've booked a flight IAD-FRA next month, 83K on the upper deck, very excited, it's not often I wish my 7hr flight was a 10hr flight : )

The upper deck, rows 83, 85-88 are wide open. I would imagine 84, being an exit is blocked for elites. I would like a window seat but I am concerned that with the way the seats on the UD stagger, that I may get shorted a window or worse, have something weird like 1/4 a window shared with their neighbor behind that opens the window every time you close that because the setting sun is shining on you?

Can someone someone comment on UD seats to avoid because they are short a window

Thanks.
I just sat in 83K on the FRA-IAD flight two weeks ago. I don't know if there is a row 84, as there was some kind of barrier or box or something directly behind row 83, instead of another row of seats. Regarding the window, you have access to about 2 1/2 windows from 83K. I had no complaints at all with the seat.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I've booked a flight IAD-FRA next month...

because the setting sun is shining on you?

Thanks.

With a 5:50 PM departure time out of IAD, I promise the setting sun will not be a factor in February. You will likely have a lovely sunset as you taxi/take-off but after that you'll not see the sun until you reach the other side of the pond.

And FWIW, the upper deck seems to fill front-to-back so if you are a non-elite hoping for a window seat AND the best chance of no passenger next to you - go for a window as far back as possible.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by geo1005
With a 5:50 PM departure time out of IAD, I promise the setting sun will not be a factor in February. You will likely have a lovely sunset as you taxi/take-off but after that you'll not see the sun until you reach the other side of the pond.

And FWIW, the upper deck seems to fill front-to-back so if you are a non-elite hoping for a window seat AND the best chance of no passenger next to you - go for a window as far back as possible.
Thanks for the tip; in which case, 88K would seem to have a good shot a leaving an aisle seat free since the WC is right there.

Would you say 88K may experience disturbance due to noise from the WC?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tip; in which case, 88K would seem to have a good shot a leaving an aisle seat free since the WC is right there.

I personally don't like sitting next to the WC as there is noise and light all throughout the flight.

Your best shot I think on having a free seat next to you is to book one of the middle seats on the lower deck of the aircraft. Even if you don't have a free seat you won't have anyone bothering you to get in or out of their seat nor will you have to bother anyone. For this reason the middle seats are a good choice.

I suggest the lower deck as for some reason everyone wants to be on the upper deck- not just on LH but on all 2 level aircraft- I have no idea why this is however you will be far more likely to have more space on the lower deck as opposed to the upper deck in business class.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I suggest the lower deck as for some reason everyone wants to be on the upper deck- not just on LH but on all 2 level aircraft- I have no idea why this is however you will be far more likely to have more space on the lower deck as opposed to the upper deck in business class.
+1 @:-)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:06 am

I personally don't like sitting next to the WC as there is noise and light all throughout the flight.

Your best shot I think on having a free seat next to you is to book one of the middle seats on the lower deck of the aircraft. Even if you don't have a free seat you won't have anyone bothering you to get in or out of their seat nor will you have to bother anyone. For this reason the middle seats are a good choice.

I'll make the contra argument here....I prefer the upper deck. to me it seems much more quieter and you have less pax walking around and 'lounging' in the aisles. The main deck with 2 aisles and a couple of galleys encourage pax to roam which creates more traffic in the aisles. I know when I fly long haul on the upper deck and decide to stretch my legs and go down stairs, it seems far busier and noisier downstairs. Downside? sure, a bit of pain in the a$$ when deboarding and fewer lavs but still worth the 'effort' for this 'first world challenge'!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:08 am

I try to pick the middle rows (84/85). Seems like a good balance since you are far enough away from lav and galley to not have them be too distractive.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:29 pm
Raf

Programs: M@M FT, Flying Blue, BA Exec. Club, CSA Plus
Repeated post.

Last edited by Raf; Jan 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:32 pm
Raf

Programs: M@M FT, Flying Blue, BA Exec. Club, CSA Plus
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I'll make the contra argument here....I prefer the upper deck. to me it seems much more quieter and you have less pax walking around and 'lounging' in the aisles. The main deck with 2 aisles and a couple of galleys encourage pax to roam which creates more traffic in the aisles. I know when I fly long haul on the upper deck and decide to stretch my legs and go down stairs, it seems far busier and noisier downstairs. Downside? sure, a bit of pain in the a$$ when deboarding and fewer lavs but still worth the 'effort' for this 'first world challenge'!
I suggest any other Star Alliance airline in BC. I was flying from Spain on Avianca to South America (Argentina/Uruguay/Peru) with Avianca and coming back on LH on 748 upper dck from Washington to FRA (due to cancelled Bogota flightI was re-routed) .
Hard product is poor- too tight space for your feet+ cabin crew behave like prison supervisors. Our bald "matre de cabine" was walking from seat to seat with list of pax in hand "inviting" M&M pax by name instead of supporting service. Dinnner was served afrer 1,5 hours despite of late departure.
If you connect from Avianca - you have a is a feel of "ornug must sein" despite of comfort of peace of Business Class.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Raf
I suggest any other Star Alliance airline in BC. I was flying from Spain on Avianca to South America (Argentina/Uruguay/Peru) with Avianca and coming back on LH on 748 upper dck from Washington to FRA (due to cancelled Bogota flightI was re-routed) .
Hard product is poor- too tight space for your feet+ cabin crew behave like prison supervisors. Our bald "matre de cabine" was walking from seat to seat with list of pax in hand "inviting" M&M pax by name instead of supporting service. Dinnner was served afrer 1,5 hours despite of late departure.
If you connect from Avianca - you have a is a feel of "ornug must sein" despite of comfort of peace of Business Class.
So you had an issue that the purser/flight supervisor was bald? (by pointing it out, you infer it was an issue IMHO) and also had an issue that he was thanking LH's potentially best customers and not those flying for free on their CC miles??
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:43 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm usually an aisle man and downstairs in the middle was my initial selection but then I decided this flight is about experiencing the 747, haven't been on one in decades. I want to see that wing and those engines and I want to ride upstairs... basically I'm eight years old.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:49 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm usually an aisle man and downstairs in the middle was my initial selection but then I decided this flight is about experiencing the 747, haven't been on one in decades. I want to see that wing and those engines and I want to ride upstairs... basically I'm eight years old.
I always sit in 82A, for some reason my favourite seat. Especially on the night flight, as you get served as one of the first. But I guess that is fully subjective. On my route during business travel days though, never a chance to have seat blocking
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes sense- sometimes I also choose upstairs seating "because it's upstairs" which is silly however we are all 8 years old sometimes. Choose a window seat away from the toilet and enjoy the flight.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Was able to snag F ticket for FRA-BLR on 748. Excited incl 4 hrs F Terminal.
What's best seat on that plane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.