Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:07 pm

Hi. This will my first time to ride in Lufthansa, and definitely my first time to ride in a 748i. I'm traveling HKG-FRA. My seat reservation is the bulkhead seat in economy, 34H. how is this seat? I'm just 5'6" in height. Is the wall partition close to the seat or is there ample space? Am I better off getting a regular seat where I can extend my legs under the seat in front of me? Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH Sen
2A going East. Feels most spacious, since you don't see the 4 seats behind you. There is a large open space to your right. Feels roomy. And you get to watch the sunset. (Timing will depend on the time of the year but it will be over PIE if you are going IAD-FRA end of summer).
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum
Okay back now after traveling in Row 18. I can attest that it is now on Seat Guru and it is IMO a very good row. More leg room. The partition in front has some windows that are "opened" up to business class in front during take off and landing and boarding but shuttered in flight. The only downside is the seat rests don't lift so no lying down across these seats. Overall for a family of Four they are GREAT. I had enough leg room in a "economy seat to relax and stretch and sleep some."

In general, the comfort of the new 747-8i is excellent and has many interior cabin features similar to the 787 (without the fires). LH puts on a great show and I feel is a superior quality compared to our return leg on United in an old beat up 777.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold
Sorry if this information is already covered, but I cannot seem to readily find it.

I am in the UD on the 748 this weekend but am looking to move forward. Expertflyer indicates Rows 81 and 82 are currently open but blocked. When does LH usually release these if not occupied by SENs?

Thanks for any info!
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:29 pm

LH 747-8 - Legroom in Y Rows 16 & 18

Hello all. I'm flying on LH from IAD-FRA-IAD... first time since 2001 and very excited to be on the 747-8. Due to my height (6'5"), I booked 18E outbound and 16H return. Both are bulkhead rows in the Y mini-cabin, but SeatGuru gave the impression that row 16 might have restricted legroom. Obviously due to my height I'm hoping to maximize my legroom, but I can't imagine that row 16 could be any worse than a standard row with the meager 31" pitch. Does anyone have any input on seat selection for a tall traveler? Thanks!

Seat map: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Luf..._8_80C_new.php
Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:25 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Have you checked sbm12's first post in this thread?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-reports.html
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Have you checked sbm12's first post in this thread?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-reports.html
Much thanks. Looks like those will be the best rows for a tall person.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
Don't sit 16H. I sat 18H and was glad I was not in 16H. Not only do you have the bulk head you have the curtain that curves around the aisle which feels very claustrophobic.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:56 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I thought sbm12's recommendation was 22A/K. Perhaps they are blocked?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, M&M Senator, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
747-8 First not quite there (yet)

Went to LAX last week; first time with the new bird.
Yes, it is very nice:
- F-Terminal and Limo service
- Cabin is quiet
- Air quality is good
- Inflight entertainment system is ok

But I'm afraid there are two design issues and some things that hopefully get better with time:
- Air conditioning is badly designed: it blows right to your head. No way to turn it off (on the two rear window seats)
- Dinner table is to narrow: there's a 5cm gap on the left.
Don't understand the two above issues; especially the A/C is very annoying on a 11hrs flight.
And yes, there seem to be some technical issues, in german "Kinderkrankheiten":
- Seat freezes - happened several times during the flight on more than one seat.
- Cameras and moving map not working

Let's hope LH can fix the issues - for the moment I prefer not to fly with the stretched jumbos in F.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
LH flight with A/C? Sounds delightful.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
A/C is ever worse on the ground. It is getting incredible cold and there is no way for the cabin crew to switch this "freezing" off. So you should bring your winter jacket in order to avoid a cold when sitting in 748 before takeoff.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Diamond
I have to disagree with the statement. LH is always too warm in the front cabin.
Especialy if seated in middle 3D/G seats, temperature in F cabin is much too high for the entire flight, including before take off.
I near had a "fight" with other passengers, as I could not remove decently more clothes (PJ with sleeves and legs up!), and they wanted the crew to increase the temperature.

There seem to be a flaw in the design of air flow in the front cabin.
Would be great to have A/C at seat, such that one could adapt to one own taste. Noticed that SQ and SA does that in many of their front cabin.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by stevenshev
LH flight with A/C? Sounds delightful.
^
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Tough to please everybody when it comes to the right temperature.
But I also can confirm the jet stream in 747-8. I sat in 1K and I had a steady and strong cold draft in my face. My eye dried up and I had a nice pinkeye the next day. The purser was apologetic and called a techie from Boeing who was on board to the F cabin to have a look. He confirmed that the air pressure is too high and made a note of it.
Was in a 777 from Air China the day before and boy they did not know what they were doing. The aircon had a temperature cycle going. Was cooling down and heating up again and again. In ten minute intervals I went from freezing to sweating... As if Dr. Kneipp was in control...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.