Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I'm booked with my wife on LH 747-8i (FRA-HKG) for the first time in Economy, seats 45B & 45C. I read these were good because of the space beside B.

Any views on whether it's still worth trying for an exit row at check-in? Looks like the exit rows aren't amazing on this aircraft, with row 21 beside WCs and 34 beside galleys / bassinet (we can't stand screaming babies...). Suppose it's down to whether we prioritise legroom or not getting disturbed back at 45 more, but any thoughts?

Only other time I flew on 747 was O8 747-400 LGW-HKG-LGW, exit row both ways. Very nice flight, especially for £285 round trip inc. taxes.

Will chance it by asking if any possibility of an upgrade at check-in, but not at all hopeful on that one.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:46 pm

My upgrade to Business has just cleared for IAD-FRA on 9th May this thursday. But the seat map doesn't show any available seats, so I can't chose anything right now. I assume I will be able to when OLCI opens? Any experiences?
Old May 6, 2013, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by asadliv
My upgrade to Business has just cleared for IAD-FRA on 9th May this thursday. But the seat map doesn't show any available seats, so I can't chose anything right now. I assume I will be able to when OLCI opens? Any experiences?
Have you tried calling the svc/reservation line??
Old May 6, 2013, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Have you tried calling the svc/reservation line??
Not yet. I will try today.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by irongloves
Interesting thread.

I'm going to fly LH 747-8i HKG-FRA.

But alas for me its economy , unless my waitlist clears for UPG...

So I'm wondering about seats : 16A where I am now... has anyone sat in the bulkhead seats? Are they good?

I can't get emergency exit cos I lost my SEN status this year..

But 22A/K with the missing seat in front of it is available though... does anyone know if one may ask for it thru res or only at check in?

I'm FTL with LH and *G with various others..

Danke !
Old May 12, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Boink! I mean, Bump!
Old May 26, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
So I'm wondering about seats : 16A where I am now... has anyone sat in the bulkhead seats? Are they good?

I can't get emergency exit cos I lost my SEN status this year..

But 22A/K with the missing seat in front of it is available though... does anyone know if one may ask for it thru res or only at check in?

Danke !
Just off the FRA-LAX flight on the 748i. I had a look around - row 16 are typical bulkhead seats - a bit more space but one can't stretch out - it's a solid bulkhead. Still probably better than most other coach seats.

I was in 22K - along with 22A probably the best seats (if traveling solo, the center and aisle seats are regular seats). Unlimited legroom, relatively easy to get out of the seat to the exit area, and the seat width is OK (only one side of the seat has a 'thick' armrest with table/display inside).

Row 21 has also unlimited legroom, but as others said, lots of traffic and folks waiting for a free restroom (not enough of them).

Seats have power, but there was no Flynet (as expected).
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Are Bose NC headsets still offered in F?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Are Bose NC headsets still offered in F?
Yes, they are. You will enjoy F.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Upper Deck LAX - FRA

A couple weeks ago my wife and I flew LH's 748i on the upper deck in seats 85A & 85C. Great, quiet seats. The only thing disturbing about the flight is that connections have to be made at FRA, one of the crappiest airports in Germany, in my opinion.

Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:08 pm

To follow up on the question I asked in another thread after flying:

On the 747-8i version with extra Y starting in row 16 on the sides, and 18 in the center, seats 20DEFG do indeed have limited recline; the back hit the wall seemingly a few inches before other rows would have, noticeably less comfortable. 20ABC and 20HJK have full recline, with plenty of clearance to the short wall before the jumpseats. There were bags stored behind my seat at 20D, presumably I would have been allowed to put mine there in the first place.

Separately, I don't particularly like the map display common to the 747-8i and A380 at least; it's very high on eye candy (and the views do look nice) and low on content. I want to see statistics (speed, time to destination, altitude, etc), a general idea of where we are on the route, and most importantly a fairly zoomed view of where we are labelling cities/countries/bodies of water. The system seems to spend a lot of time cycling through the unlabeled terrain, cockpit, and behind the plane views, only showing the key ones randomly at long intervals.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:29 am

My wife and I will be flying IAD->FRA later this summer and currently have seats in 27D and 27E. Can anyone comment on what Y is like for a tall passenger? I'm 6'4" and have pretty much become accustom to sore knees after any flight more than 1 hour.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: most of them
Flying tomorrow (4th of July) IAD-FRA. Looking forward to it. Had 9G booked but swapped to 87C today. Upper deck looks wide open from the LH seatmap. Hopefully it will stay that way. Is the live map on their website generally an accurate representation of how things end up? From EF it looks like most fare classes are showing 9 so I am taking that as a good sign.

Last edited by glennaa11; Jul 3, 2013 at 6:51 pm
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Is the live map on their website generally an accurate representation of how things end up?
No- a lot of Europeans in particular never make ASR.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, A3-Gold
Middle Seats Downstairs in Biz

I just flew FRA-LAX in seat 6D downstairs. I appreciated the extra distance between me and my neighbor and the fact that each one of us had aisle access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.