Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: LH Senator Lifetime
Row 16 (economy)

I tried that on a FRA-MEX flight some time ago. I would say the legroom is better than in the rows behind. I had the 16C where you can strech your feet freely. The curtain is quite near your face, but that only disturbes when someone opens and shuts it. So definitely better than the rows behind.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by SAKKE
I tried that on a FRA-MEX flight some time ago. I would say the legroom is better than in the rows behind. I had the 16C where you can strech your feet freely. The curtain is quite near your face, but that only disturbes when someone opens and shuts it. So definitely better than the rows behind.
Any info on 16 A,B ?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: LH Senator Lifetime
16AB

I remember having thought - before I had my bubbly - that those have more legroom too and seem to be clearly better than the "normal" rows.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by SAKKE
I remember having thought - before I had my bubbly - that those have more legroom too and seem to be clearly better than the "normal" rows.
Thanks

. Another example of seat guru being wrong.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I would much rather have a cabin too cold -- you always can pile on blankets and duvets when sleeping.

If it gets too warm, my only option is to take off more clothes -- and if I only am wearing my PJ top and my PJ bottom, the other pax might not like this option!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:05 am

Just back from a Y flight on the 747-8. Can't say that I was very impressed. I'm 6'4", and I think that pretty much every seat in Y is going to be uncomfortable if you are tall. Outbound I sat in 16D which was a bulkhead in the mini-Y cabin, and I think this is the best of the worst. At least I could cross my legs. Returning was in 16H which is a weird seat. You're right next to the curtain to C; not only does it get opened and closed all the time, it's placed at a weird angle so it constantly hits the person sitting in 16D (same issue in 16C). However, the bulkhead divider is rather short, only covering 16JK, so 16D has some space in between the curtain and divider to stretch your legs a bit into the C cabin without blocking the aisle.

Other than the tight seating, there were far too few lavatories, and no place to stand and stretch. Speaking of lavatories, there's a "door to nowhere" in the small lav hall in between the first two Y cabins. The door is something of a placeholder for a lav that was never built; the door doesn't open, and on the opposite side is row 22 (clearly LH went for more seats than lavs).

Overall, just felt like any other cramped airplane.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have to advise a pax (general member, travelling on paid C-class ticket) re business seats.
First of all: Seatguru states the C-seat width to be between 19.7 - 26.4"; is this information correct?
Secondly: UD bulkheads are blocked, so choice is:
Daytime outbound flight: 85A, 87 H,K
Nighttime inbound flight: 85 H,K, 86 A,C

What seats are the best choices at this time?
Does LH unblock those bulkhead seats eventually (e.g. T-x days?), to have a chance to grab one of those?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Just back from a Y flight on the 747-8. Can't say that I was very impressed. I'm 6'4", and I think that pretty much every seat in Y is going to be uncomfortable if you are tall. Outbound I sat in 16D which was a bulkhead in the mini-Y cabin, and I think this is the best of the worst. At least I could cross my legs. Returning was in 16H which is a weird seat. You're right next to the curtain to C; not only does it get opened and closed all the time, it's placed at a weird angle so it constantly hits the person sitting in 16D (same issue in 16C). However, the bulkhead divider is rather short, only covering 16JK, so 16D has some space in between the curtain and divider to stretch your legs a bit into the C cabin without blocking the aisle.

Other than the tight seating, there were far too few lavatories, and no place to stand and stretch. Speaking of lavatories, there's a "door to nowhere" in the small lav hall in between the first two Y cabins. The door is something of a placeholder for a lav that was never built; the door doesn't open, and on the opposite side is row 22 (clearly LH went for more seats than lavs).

Overall, just felt like any other cramped airplane.
The door to no where that you refer to is there for when the lav is reconfigured for Handicap access (wider access for wheel chair/etc)....Boeing design element. The lav doors and a wall unpin from their frame and can be resized.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:33 pm

Loved this...checked in for my flights to FRA tomrw and UA.com shows my IAD-FRA (on an -8i) flight operated by a 747-100......how....or WHY is 747-100 data even loaded into UA's database
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:07 pm

LH New Bus, main deck or megatop 747-8

I'm very sorry if this has been answered before, I did several searches and can't seem to find a definite answer.

I'm 6'3" and traveling alone, and was wondering if it would be best to fly in the new Business Class on the main deck in the middle (wider foot area)

or

Is the megatop that much better (quieter, cozier, etc) that it's worth the potential "playing footsie" issues with the narrower seats?

It's a night flight, so I really do need to try to get at least some sleep on the plane.

Thanks!

P.S. I grabbed 6G, but can always change it.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by scottt
I'm very sorry if this has been answered before, I did several searches and can't seem to find a definite answer.

I'm 6'3" and traveling alone, and was wondering if it would be best to fly in the new Business Class on the main deck in the middle (wider foot area)

or

Is the megatop that much better (quieter, cozier, etc) that it's worth the potential "playing footsie" issues with the narrower seats?

It's a night flight, so I really do need to try to get at least some sleep on the plane.

Thanks!

P.S. I grabbed 6G, but can always change it.
Flew on the upper deck as a single traveller once and did not like it too much. Seat next to me was occupied, maybe it would have been better if it had been empty. Playing footsie is not an issue, though. Would always go for a middle seat on the main deck on a night flight.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun
Would always go for a middle seat on the main deck on a night flight.
+1
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:38 am

Flew on the upper deck as a single traveller once and did not like it too much. Seat next to me was occupied, maybe it would have been better if it had been empty. Playing footsie is not an issue, though. Would always go for a middle seat on the main deck on a night flight.
What didn't you like about it?

Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by scottt
What didn't you like about it?

Thanks
Because climbing over the neighbour was even more difficult than in the old seat (nothing to get a hold, low ceiling - I hit my head everytime). With the table folded out, I found it hardly possible to get out at all.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
I almost had that same situation. A couple days before the flight I saw that 88C was occupied (I was in 88A), so I switched to 7D and enjoyed the extra room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.