Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold, Marriott platinum, IHG gold
Best economy seat - 27K is ok?

I will be flying FRA-MEX on Aug 28th. I plan to upgrade to business (usually I do it just before the flight, in case if they are giving free upgrades) but just in case something goes wrong: 27K is one of the best seats in economy. Originally I had 16H but after reading this thread I decided to change to row 27. Only 2 seats were free, J and K and of course I took 27K.
Any advices?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:12 pm

If flying alone in F, definitely, row 1. I have not experienced recently the issues mentioned above about too much A/C. In fact, a few days ago it felt too hot.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH
I've done a lot of flts on the 8i. My pref is the upper deck for biz. A lot quieter and better service. UD generally has a few seats empty.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: LH SEN
Hi. I read the recommendations here on chose row 2 on recent flight to EWR. I have to say in the future, as a solo traveler i would definitely choose row 1, or even 3A or 3K. I found 2K to be the least private seat with lots of FA traffic. I had been concerned that 1A would be too close to 1K, but this didn't appear to be the case. The flight was still excellent however ;-)
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Hi - I'm a solo traveller about 6'3 or 190cm. Flying from JNB to FRA on the 747-8 in December in business classs.

It is an overnight flight. Flight takes off at 19:40 arriving at 5:25 - almost 10 hours.

I was thinking either 84H (exit row, aisle) on the upper deck or row 6/7 D/H in the lower deck. Which would you recommend for this long, overnight flight?

Here are the availabilities

Also, any idea why 7G, 8GHK is blocked off?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Hi - I'm a solo traveller about 6'3 or 190cm. Flying from JNB to FRA on the 747-8 in December in business classs.

It is an overnight flight. Flight takes off at 19:40 arriving at 5:25 - almost 10 hours.

I was thinking either 84H (exit row, aisle) on the upper deck or row 6/7 D/H in the lower deck. Which would you recommend for this long, overnight flight?

Here are the availabilities

Also, any idea why 7G, 8GHK is blocked off?
with 1.90 you should just fit in the new seat (or may be just not) on the seating I would go for an aisle seat in the second part of the upper deck 86/87; the exit row on the upper deck does not give you more space (in my opinion less because of the bulkhead)
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by HKG1111
with 1.90 you should just fit in the new seat (or may be just not) on the seating I would go for an aisle seat in the second part of the upper deck 86/87; the exit row on the upper deck does not give you more space (in my opinion less because of the bulkhead)
Funny I'm the exact opposite. I prefer the exit row because I think it's easier for the window to get out (since they can use the bulkhead without fear of disturbing any PAX.

That said, I would never choose an aisle on the upper deck traveling alone - the big benefit is the window storage bins. So I would take 5/6/7 D or G.

I believe 7/8 G are blocked for handicap (and used to be marked as such). They'll be available to select at T-24 (sometimes randomly they'll open up earlier for a bit, the block back off). Not sure about the others.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
747-800 Door to nowhere

I was flying on a 747-800 configured with the Premium Economy. At the front of the Premium Economy cabin, directly facing the right bathroom door was a door that was connected to the bulkhead partition. I wish I had taken a picture, but I forgot. Since there is nothing on the other side of the door, it basically opens to nowhere (although it seems the door doesn't open). For a moment I thought it was a Twilight Zone episode. Does anyone know why this door exists? Is it on all 747-800's, or just the one that I was on?

Very curious indeed.

Edited to add: This has nothing to do with where to sit on the plane, so not sure why it got moved to this thread. I presume it will be ignored as a result.

Last edited by oenophilist; Aug 18, 2015 at 3:17 pm Reason: post moved to different thread
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Funny I'm the exact opposite. I prefer the exit row because I think it's easier for the window to get out (since they can use the bulkhead without fear of disturbing any PAX.

That said, I would never choose an aisle on the upper deck traveling alone - the big benefit is the window storage bins. So I would take 5/6/7 D or G.

I believe 7/8 G are blocked for handicap (and used to be marked as such). They'll be available to select at T-24 (sometimes randomly they'll open up earlier for a bit, the block back off). Not sure about the others.
I'd always take the upper deck window seat *because* of the storage bins.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
My favourite seat by far: 83K
Upper Deck, window seat, storage bins, as far away from the front lav as possible and no one behind you (because of the exit row).

Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
My favourite is 82A or 82K. Since the first two rows are blocked for SEN/HON until OLCI starts you have a good chance of the seat next to you remaining free unless the flight is fairly full. It happened to me on the last three flights on the 748i.

But I'll never sit in row 81 again. Too much lav traffic.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More, Miles and Bonus, HHonors, Starwood, Hyatt
757-8 upper deck or lower deck for J

I need a couple of other opinions. When flying on the 747-8 with J, which do you prefer upper or lower decks. Also on the lower decks do you prefer the center seats, or the side seats?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by babiko
I need a couple of other opinions. When flying on the 747-8 with J, which do you prefer upper or lower decks. Also on the lower decks do you prefer the center seats, or the side seats?
I prefer the UD by far, it's much more private.
Should you choose the LD, it depends on what your priorities are.
If you want to sleep (and/or walk around the plane), then choose the center seats as you'll have direct aisle-access and nobody will step over your legs. If not, then a window seat is obviously nicer as nobody will walk past you and you'll have better views.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: MM silver, Flying blue Platinum, A3 gold, Marriott platinum, IHG gold
Hi. 15 days ago I was flying FRA-MEX and could choose between upper and lower deck. I decided to go for lower and before take-off purser offered seat on upper deck. Went there to see and as upper was almost full and lower almost empty, I decided to stay below.
Was a good choice as only 5 of us were there. FA were very nice, after lunch I even got macchiato instead of espresso. FA explained that she does not have much to do so without machine she did it "manual" - by shaking milk in a bottle. Nice move

Originally Posted by babiko
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Best seats in Y in LH 747-8 for fast exit?

Are there any particular rows in an LH 747-8, in coach, that are going to likely be closer to an exit than others? Presently booked all the way at the back and thinking that's not a good place for a tight connection at JNB. Or, to put this another way, if there is a second jetway used, where does it attach to the plane?

Thanks-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.