Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I will answer myself after experiencing row 27 on the version 3 of lh b748.
IMO the best seats in regular economy
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Changed my seat to 27K!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I sure miss that seat one row behind the emergency exit that had unlimited leg space...
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
I will answer myself after experiencing row 27 on the version 3 of lh b748.
IMO the best seats in regular economy
Like this?

Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
748 upper desk

Hi, will be flying in C on 747-8i for the first time. My preference on BA 744's is upper desk aisle sit by the exit door. From the seatmap it seem that LH installed bulkhead in front of the row 84. Are there any disadvantages in taking seats 84c/h other than they are bulkhead? Location seem to be reasonably equidistant from front and rear lavs and rear galley so shall be quite quiet, or I am missing something?
AX
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by AX9465
Hi, will be flying in C on 747-8i for the first time. My preference on BA 744's is upper desk aisle sit by the exit door. From the seatmap it seem that LH installed bulkhead in front of the row 84. Are there any disadvantages in taking seats 84c/h other than they are bulkhead? Location seem to be reasonably equidistant from front and rear lavs and rear galley so shall be quite quiet, or I am missing something?
AX
I have not noticed a huge difference in any of the seats upstairs. I have done long-haul flights in Rows 81-84, and did not notice big differences. I tend to lean toward forward rows to avoid galley noise, but some report the noise in the back is not any worse. I think oliver2002 just did a long haul to Asia, and sat in a back row, perhaps he can comment on his experience.

In some rows (83, if I remember correctly) the side compartments between the window seat and the window line up such that you have access to two compartments, if you are a type who likes to stow a lot of carry-on items at your seat.

Here is a picture of the upper deck taken from row 81:
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

I have sat in 84A, 82A and 81K on the upper deck of the 748i and regretted choosing 81K (actually automatically assigned) on my most recent trip despite having the seat next to me empty. (81H was occupied initially but 81A/C did not show up and my seat neighbour moved across the aisle as soon as boarding was completed.) It was a long daytime flight and there was just too much lavatory traffic. Judging by the number of passengers using the front lavatory it looked as if not many people were using the lavatory at the back of the cabin.

The alignment of the storage compartments is a little odd. I don't know if any window seat has access to two full-size compartments.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by AX9465
AX
Not missing anything regarding row 84. If you want an aisle though, definitely go for the main deck. There's more space between the V of the seats.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Just off 88A a few days ago, have done 81A and 86K, as well as 6D/G a few times.

Unlike BA there appear to be no seats with extra legroom, but whereas the BA seats are too short for me, the LH seat is just long enough so not so much an issue there, for me.

The UD is quieter in terms of noise from inside the plane, but it has more ambient noise from wind/aerodynamics. It has less traffic generally, and the floor has less vibration than the main deck middle pairs at least.

Front rows get a little more lavatory traffic as people are more likely to look forward than backward to find one. Front rows get meal service first and that means on a full flight that row 88 is at least 15 minutes after 81 (I timed it just out of curiosity). While the food won't be cold, there might be few choices left.

Bulkheads have a different positioning of the IFE monitor: it is more above the footwell instead of next to it, enclosing the footwell from the top.

Obviosuly row 88 will be earlier to disembark than 81.

I can confirm 88 has two full side bagage compartments, as does 81. Which often means in practice that A/K gets one and C/H the other, meaning the aisle seat leaning over the window seat to get access to the side locker.

Finally, row 88 as the last row has the advantage of no one having to grab the back of the seat to get out of their window seat. Depending on the person, this climbing might be rather disruptive actually.

So, for me it depends on day v night (will go main deck on any day flight), front or back UD (will take back if i want to get off the plane quickly and don't care for the food), but will always choose one of a middle pair when downstairs and avoid the bulkheads (UD or main deck).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by MichielR
I can confirm 88 has two full side bagage compartments, as does 81. Which often means in practice that A/K gets one and C/H the other, meaning the aisle seat leaning over the window seat to get access to the side locker.
81K on my recent flight had two side compartments but the front one was slightly smaller and did not have a box to hold your belongings. You could see the floor of the cabin at the bottom. It would have been ok to hold a small case or shoes but I did not need the extra space and did not use it.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Red face

Originally Posted by MichielR
Finally, row 88 as the last row has the advantage of no one having to grab the back of the seat to get out of their window seat. Depending on the person, this climbing might be rather disruptive actually.
This is the most irksome thing travellers do on planes. Only the elderly can justify it. Where are those EU directives when you really need one?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by N1003U
I tend to lean toward forward rows to avoid galley noise, but some report the noise in the back is not any worse. I think oliver2002 just did a long haul to Asia, and sat in a back row, perhaps he can comment on his experience.
I have started to pick seats in the last rows in aircraft with new C seats after the responsible product manager told me that the pitch is a bit more there.

Don't like the cubby hole they have at the bulkhead and exit rows. Sticking my feet in the IFE/magazine rack isn't my thing. YMMV.

Didn't hear anything from the galley in row 87 on the 748. The UD floor does bounce a bit when people walk by briskly. Sadly the aircon of the 748 is the same as in the 744, (irregardless what Boeing PR says) and the infamous dry warm air of the UD was there again. Reminded me of the days in the old F on the 744, so I had to smile.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sadly the aircon of the 748 is the same as in the 744, (irregardless what Boeing PR says) and the infamous dry warm air of the UD was there again.
I was actually cold in the front of the 748i (both on the main deck and the upper deck) but then I usually dress for a warm cabin when travelling longhaul on LH.

BTW, when did they change back to the old blue and white blankets in Business Class?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jawnbc
This is the most irksome thing travellers do on planes. Only the elderly can justify it.
...and the inebriated.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by N1003U
Here is a picture of the upper deck taken from row 81:
Oh, so it is not full-height bulkhead but rather a divider. Then I guess it's reasonable choice.
Thanks for the photo
AX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.