Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to sit on the 747-8i [merged B74H experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Solo traveler in C. Have flown the upper deck last summer with no seat neighbor but thought at the time that it could be a bit more cramped otherwise. I currently have a choice of 85 window or a center seat on the main deck in row 6-10.

I like the larger space between seats on the center main deck. However, is the upper deck still preferable for number of pax, quiet for overnight flight, lav ratio, etc?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Which is the best combination for a party of 4? We currently have 85 A/C/H/K. Would 85 A/C and 86 A/C be better? What about row 88, any one have experience with them? Thanks.
Help please?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by criostal
Solo traveler in C. Have flown the upper deck last summer with no seat neighbor but thought at the time that it could be a bit more cramped otherwise. I currently have a choice of 85 window or a center seat on the main deck in row 6-10.

I like the larger space between seats on the center main deck. However, is the upper deck still preferable for number of pax, quiet for overnight flight, lav ratio, etc?

Thanks!
If flying C and given a choice, I always would select the upper deck.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Help please?
Personal preference. Do you want to sit all across one row ... or two in front and two behind?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Which is the best combination for a party of 4? We currently have 85 A/C/H/K. Would 85 A/C and 86 A/C be better? What about row 88, any one have experience with them? Thanks.
It depends on your personal preference. Bear in mind that the seats on the upper deck on the left and right of the isle are not completely in one line.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I loved this plane. Sat on the upper deck from BLR to FRA, very nice indeed.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I loved this plane. Sat on the upper deck from BLR to FRA, very nice indeed.
I'll be on it in May in J as well. Would you recommend the upper deck for a single traveller? I like that the middle seats in the main deck have a wider angle, but the upper deck would be more private and quiet? I can't make my mind up.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by asadliv
I'll be on it in May in J as well. Would you recommend the upper deck for a single traveller? I like that the middle seats in the main deck have a wider angle, but the upper deck would be more private and quiet? I can't make my mind up.
I find the upper deck to be more private as opposed to the main deck. There are 2 washrooms on the upper deck. But on our flight there were many empty seats, so if you have the window and someone sits on the aisle you can always switch.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:09 am

Hi -- I've got a couple options flying from MAD to IAD in a month. Both of my "best" options connect in FRA -- one of them has a an 1:15 layover and returns on a UA 777, one flight is a 2 hour layover that returns on the LH 747-8. I'm a UA silver so I'm leaning towards taking the UA metal back beacuse I should be able to grab an E+ seat, but I'm always interested in trying new aircraft and I haven't been on the 747-8 yet. Plus there's free beer on LH!

Any thoughts? Seatguru shows the pitch of the 748 to be just 31" (same as UA E-)... is the newer product / IFE / LH soft product worth losing 3" of legroom?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: Hertz PLAT, Mile Runner, Blue Screen.
hey guys wondering wich flight is better in F,
MUC-JFK-LH410
or
MUC-EWR LH412
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:21 pm

748 in C

Just took the flight LAX to FRA. This was the newest plane on only its second flight. I can confirm that the new plane smell is remarkably similar to the new car smell.

Felt a bit like a guinea pig. They towed the plane well away from the terminal before starting the engines (due south from Virgin Australia operations west of TBIT). They then taxied a full route around the southern runways: west all the way to the ocean, turned south crossing 2 runways (did a plane take off directly over our heads??), and then eastward along the cargo areas to the east end of the runway for a normal east-to-west takeoff. No spectators I could see. Probably pilots studying guages.

Sat upstairs in 85 window starbord. As far as I could tell, every seat upstairs was identical. The only differences were positioning of monitors on the bulkhead and on the seat directly behind the emergency exits. For window seats, the side compartments are significantly larger than what I had been used to on other airlines. Won't fit a rollaboard, but did fit a generous backpack and 3 or 4 other items.

Maybe the last row is a little noisier being closest to the galley, but, actually, the gally is a good distance behind. There is a toilet, a stairway, a number of cabinets, and a jump seat between the last row and the galley.

Front of the cabin seemed a bit darker during the daylight. The 2 windows over the stairs add a lot of light at the back.

Downstairs middle seats clearly seem to have more individual space, with basically a relatively large triangular island between the two seats. Space was not a problem for me even in the seats with a more acute angle. My seat partner was tall, and this may have reduced footsies.

Of note, one of my favorite aspects of the old LH business seat was its sitting position. The bottom (butt) part of the seat tilted up in a way that mimicked a real living room recliner. Happy to say that the new seat does the same thing, I have not seen any others out there that do this.

Edited to add: Best seat in the cabin on this particular flight was the one next to the woman sitting immediately in front of me.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SidewinderX
Hi -- I've got a couple options flying from MAD to IAD in a month. Both of my "best" options connect in FRA -- one of them has a an 1:15 layover and returns on a UA 777, one flight is a 2 hour layover that returns on the LH 747-8. I'm a UA silver so I'm leaning towards taking the UA metal back beacuse I should be able to grab an E+ seat, but I'm always interested in trying new aircraft and I haven't been on the 747-8 yet. Plus there's free beer on LH!

Any thoughts? Seatguru shows the pitch of the 748 to be just 31" (same as UA E-)... is the newer product / IFE / LH soft product worth losing 3" of legroom?
I've only flown the 748 once, and it was in business class, so I can't speak to what E is like from firsthand experience. What I can tell you is that when I took a lap around the cabin mid-flight, I was struck by how cramped the E cabin seemed.

Will you have lounge access in FRA? If so, you could make liberal use of the bar to make up for the lack of free booze on UA.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
Today, flew DEL-FRA in the new 747-8. very nice. Sat in 82A upper deck. Flat seat was very good for sleeping. You run the risk of playing foot-sy with the passenger in 82C due to the configuration. Also, there is a green light above the Lavatory that could create an issue if you are not wearing shades. The upper deck is very quiet. Next time, I will try 82 across the aisle to avoid the green light
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:27 pm

Interesting thread.

I'm going to fly LH 747-8i HKG-FRA.

Can you tell me if it is more noisy on the upperdeck or down?
I would like to have a sleep and I really mind the engine noise (who doesn't, of course)

I'm travelling alone and probably i will chose one of the two seats in the middle row in biz in the lower deck. Is it a good choice?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by irongloves
Interesting thread.

I'm going to fly LH 747-8i HKG-FRA.

Can you tell me if it is more noisy on the upperdeck or down?
I would like to have a sleep and I really mind the engine noise (who doesn't, of course)

I'm travelling alone and probably i will chose one of the two seats in the middle row in biz in the lower deck. Is it a good choice?
I can't comment on the main deck, but I found the upper deck extremely quiet. Almost disconcertingly so. Even during takeoff, it was so quiet you could hear people whispering two or three rows away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.