Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by skj
This was our situation and it was far from great. Wasting the better part of a day waiting for a room is a serious screwup on Ventana's part. In our case, there was no attempt at any service recovery either while we were there or in response to the after-stay survey I submitted. The closest was the property offered to move our suitcases from our old room to our new room. Had I known we would be without a room for so long, I would have kept our bags so at least we could have changed clothes.
What made you think you could into your new room within an hour or two (before 1pm?)?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:47 pm

Here right now and I was allowed 1 pm check out. Just hanging by the pool until my "work" day is over. Food is still included for lunch on check out day. I was sandwiched between 2 buy out (1 wedding and 1 corporate retreat) so no upgrade. Food is not as good as Miraval Austin. The ground is beautiful although its been very foggy this past couple days and dining at Sur House without the view was underwhelming. Service is very slow at the Sur House: your dining experience could easily be 2 hours with just some appetizers (I love the octopus), 1 main course (lamb is great), and desert. Overall I would not pay 2k+ a night for this property. An amazing value however if you redeem cat 7 certs here. Miraval is better than Ventana in my opinion.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Is there any way to get down to the Smokehouse for a lunch other than self-driving? Seems like a bit far/steep for a walk. Any kind of shuttle to go down there?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 3:10 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
What made you think you could into your new room within an hour or two (before 1pm?)?
The front desk staff said we should have the new room by 1pm when we checked out of the first room. They claimed they were strictly enforcing the 11am checkout for all guests departing that day and said they would make sure housekeeping prioritized making our new room ready.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by skj
The front desk staff said we should have the new room by 1pm when we checked out of the first room. They claimed they were strictly enforcing the 11am checkout for all guests departing that day and said they would make sure housekeeping prioritized making our new room ready.
We were told the exact same thing when we checked out and the first person we talked to said “we’ll try for noon”. What’s irritating is I believe they said they’d notify us when our room was ready just to appease us. They never did even though (I think) our room actually was ready by about 12:15 according to our digital room key. We texted around 2 to check the status and they replied “We’ll let you know.” They never ended up texting us or giving us physical keys for that second night, we ultimately just let ourselves into our new room.

I agree that this property could have a better way of handling multiple reservations back to back. I don’t expect to not have to move (although it’d be nice), but I was disappointed at how the move was handled.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Is there any way to get down to the Smokehouse for a lunch other than self-driving? Seems like a bit far/steep for a walk. Any kind of shuttle to go down there?
You could walk, ask for a golf cart ride down, or I suppose you could take one of the Volvos down the hill.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Here right now and I was allowed 1 pm check out. Just hanging by the pool until my "work" day is over. Food is still included for lunch on check out day. I was sandwiched between 2 buy out (1 wedding and 1 corporate retreat) so no upgrade. Food is not as good as Miraval Austin. The ground is beautiful although its been very foggy this past couple days and dining at Sur House without the view was underwhelming. Service is very slow at the Sur House: your dining experience could easily be 2 hours with just some appetizers (I love the octopus), 1 main course (lamb is great), and desert. Overall I would not pay 2k+ a night for this property. An amazing value however if you redeem cat 7 certs here. Miraval is better than Ventana in my opinion.
I also found the Miraval Berkshires good to be better than Ventana, mainly because they seemed to have more variety and a much better lunch setup.

I did find that service at Sur House was very, very slow depending on your server. Some
were good. One in particular was pretty bad. To the point that on my 3rd night I (discreetly) asked to be moved to a different section. Funnily enough the booze would always appear very quickly after ordering.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:56 pm

One thing Ventana is better than Miraval is the ability to order pretty much everything for room service. Also the fireplace is great. I must have gone through 10 bundles during my stay. Sad that Pfeiffer Beach is closed at the moment and the smokehouse only opens from wed-sun (my stay was Sun-Wed ironically)
Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
One thing Ventana is better than Miraval is the ability to order pretty much everything for room service. Also the fireplace is great. I must have gone through 10 bundles during my stay. Sad that Pfeiffer Beach is closed at the moment and the smokehouse only opens from wed-sun (my stay was Sun-Wed ironically)
We were also there sun-tues, Fog kinda put a damper on eating at big sur house, but we made a point of hitting up the smokehouse when we arrived sunday. The brisket is very good!
Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
We were also there sun-tues, Fog kinda put a damper on eating at big sur house, but we made a point of hitting up the smokehouse when we arrived sunday. The brisket is very good!
did you hit up smokehouse for lunch before checking in or for dinner?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
did you hit up smokehouse for lunch before checking in or for dinner?
we checked in first (at noon) and our room was ready. Dropped off our stuff an went to smokehouse with our friends who's room was not ready.
myperks likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 4:31 pm

we checked in first (at noon) and our room was ready. Dropped off our stuff an went to smokehouse with our friends who's room was not ready.
so for your friend’s room that was not ready, did the smokehouse know they were awaiting room and meal included without room number?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
so for your friend’s room that was not ready, did the smokehouse know they were awaiting room and meal included without room number?
They will assign you a room number, but they already know you will be staying there based upon last name. I was worried about this too, but it wasnt an issue for me or my friend. I would check in first though
wilywombat likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:32 pm

They will assign you a room number, but they already know you will be staying there based upon last name. I was worried about this too, but it wasnt an issue for me or my friend. I would check in first though
thanks for the confirmation and the process.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Currently staying at the hotel. I can confirm that most dining venues at the hotel have a printed list of all guests staying at the hotel. Our room was not ready upon arrival but we were able to order at the poolside bar.
WasKnown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.