Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:15 am

I have an upcoming stay at Ventana for two nights on points. We are coming from the midwest. Early this morning award availability opened up for a third night at Ventana for 60,000 points (forest shower suite) so I snatched it up. I also saw that Carmel Valley Ranch had award availability for a studio with outdoor tub for 25,000, but with my card I’ll get a 25% rebate making the single night 18,750.

My question is - is it worth the 40,000+ point premium to stay at Ventana a third night, or would it make more sense to maximize time at resort for 2+ nights and then check in to Carmel Valley Ranch for one night and save over 40k points? (We had originally booked Hyatt Monterey for one night).
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Cmag211
My question is - is it worth the 40,000+ point premium to stay at Ventana a third night, or would it make more sense to maximize time at resort for 2+ nights and then check in to Carmel Valley Ranch for one night and save over 40k points? (We had originally booked Hyatt Monterey for one night).
I could see going either way. Depends on how much you'd value another day to relax or hike in Big Sur vs. being in Carmel with more varied things to do and places to eat. I like CVR, but Ventana is considerably more special.
rogo, TravelingChef and Cmag211 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have an upcoming stay at Ventana for two nights on points. We are coming from the midwest. Early this morning award availability opened up for a third night at Ventana for 60,000 points (forest shower suite) so I snatched it up. I also saw that Carmel Valley Ranch had award availability for a studio with outdoor tub for 25,000, but with my card I’ll get a 25% rebate making the single night 18,750.

Set up an alert for the three night period you’re looking to stay. It’s very possible that a standard room will open up for the three nights and, if you’re quick, you can secure it using points for 30k a night.

Otherwise, personally, I’d probably save the 40k and do a “late checkout” at Ventana (they’ll probably only give you until 1pm, but you can hang around all day and have lunch up until 5pm). You get pretty much a full day at Ventana and can then go to Carmel for dinner and spend your last night at a less spectacular but still very serviceable property.
rogo likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Set up an alert for the three night period you’re looking to stay. It’s very possible that a standard room will open up for the three nights and, if you’re quick, you can secure it using points for 30k a night.

Otherwise, personally, I’d probably save the 40k and do a “late checkout” at Ventana (they’ll probably only give you until 1pm, but you can hang around all day and have lunch up until 5pm). You get pretty much a full day at Ventana and can then go to Carmel for dinner and spend your last night at a less spectacular but still very serviceable property.
I think this is the approach I’m going to take. The third night is odd as it’s showing completely sold out for cash stays, but a few times over the past few weeks I’ve seen all the rooms open up, only to be completely “sold out” again 6 hours later.

Do you know if we hang out at Ventana until ~5pm if they have a public shower or flex room to use? I think it’d be nice to still use the pools, bathhouse, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I think this is the approach I’m going to take. The third night is odd as it’s showing completely sold out for cash stays, but a few times over the past few weeks I’ve seen all the rooms open up, only to be completely “sold out” again 6 hours later.

Do you know if we hang out at Ventana until ~5pm if they have a public shower or flex room to use? I think it’d be nice to still use the pools, bathhouse, etc.
There are showers in the bathhouse and they have shampoo, shower gel, etc. So you can still use the pools and baths until you leave (and you can stay until after 5pm… that’s just when lunch finishes).
Kacee and Cmag211 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kacee
I could see going either way. Depends on how much you'd value another day to relax or hike in Big Sur vs. being in Carmel with more varied things to do and places to eat. I like CVR, but Ventana is considerably more special.
Agreed. I think it's a win for you either way. Can't really go wrong. For me, two nights at Ventana would be plenty and i'd do CVR for both points savings and for change of scenery. If it was a matter of one night at Ventana and one night at Carmel, vs two nights at Ventana, I'd say 2 nights at Ventana. I think you can comfortably get the full Ventana experience over two days, and given the substantial points price difference, you'll make out just fine with the third night in Carmel.
rogo and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingChef
Agreed. I think it's a win for you either way. Can't really go wrong. For me, two nights at Ventana would be plenty and i'd do CVR for both points savings and for change of scenery. If it was a matter of one night at Ventana and one night at Carmel, vs two nights at Ventana, I'd say 2 nights at Ventana. I think you can comfortably get the full Ventana experience over two days, and given the substantial points price difference, you'll make out just fine with the third night in Carmel.
Agree with this. While Ventana is undoubtedly superior, CVR is still a very nice property. I don't really care for the rooms there, but can't say it's that much worse than the Ventana. Neither is my style. But for the points savings, i'd definitely move. CVR will have nicer weather as it is inland. Head to roux for dinner in carmel valley...or hit up dinner in Carmel-by-the-Sea on your way to CVR. the price-value for a massage at CVR is much better as well.
TravelingChef and Cmag211 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:34 am

Anyone visited recently? Just wondering the impact of the wildfires if any on your experience
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:05 am

What’s the best way to make dining and activities reservations in advance? The front desk email doesn’t respond.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olouie
What’s the best way to make dining and activities reservations in advance? The front desk email doesn’t respond.
Contact the Hyatt Twitter team.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Try contacting the concierge team directly at 831-667-2331 ext 403.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:22 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
When is your stay ? The "leisure concierge" team reached out via email a couple weeks before our stay with a list of activities (which was limited compared to what the web site showed) and an offer to make dinner reservations. We got our preferred time 2 of 3 nights and the other night was 15 minutes later.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:48 am

Contact [email protected]

Carlos and Roque helped us make reservations about a month out
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Anyone visited recently? Just wondering the impact of the wildfires if any on your experience
PurpleAir
Cmag211 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by skj
When is your stay ? The "leisure concierge" team reached out via email a couple weeks before our stay with a list of activities (which was limited compared to what the web site showed) and an offer to make dinner reservations. We got our preferred time 2 of 3 nights and the other night was 15 minutes later.
Thanks, in early September so hopefully it wont be too hard to get reservations. And praying the wildfires stay away this time (our trip(s) last year got cancelled due to those).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.