Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Scrotty
I used a TSU on top of the 30k per night. Originally they assigned us the outdoor shower suite, however I asked my concierge to request the pacific house suite for the outdoor tub which the resort later confirmed. Do you think this was the wrong choice?
I had the Pacific house suite last October and really liked it. Especially enjoyed the high ceilings, super roomy bathroom, fireplace, and outdoor hot tub. I definitely would prefer an outdoor tub to an outdoor shower though so I don't think you made the wrong choice.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
I was very happy with that room for my points + TSU stay, we were celebrating a special occasion (who isn't after all the 2020 cancellations); but I considered it a great room, and would happily return. That said I would also not normally use the outside shower, but the large bathroom + soaking tub and outside hot tub seemed more versatile to me.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:26 pm

I used a TSU on top of the 30k per night. Originally they assigned us the outdoor shower suite, however I asked my concierge to request the pacific house suite for the outdoor tub which the resort later confirmed. Do you think this was the wrong choice?
I love outdoor showers, but think the pacific hosue suite with the outdoor hot tub is right move. Weather-wise you're way more likely to enjoy the hot tub. And can use multpile times a day. The only thing i can think of in defense of the shower suite is that there are multiple hot tubs elsewhere on the property including the japanese baths. But i think you made the right call in switching,

Last edited by boolean64; Jul 15, 2021 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 16, 2021, 2:29 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I prefer the outdoor shower suite, but I'm sure many people would prefer Pacific House. If you are going to use the hot tub and you won't miss the hammock or being next to the trees, then Pacific House is right for you. The outdoor shower is IMHO a gimmick.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:19 pm

Are there hikes in the moderate range for 3-5 miles w/o having to drive over to the state park? The only thing I could gleam from search was that I could hike up the coast ridge road, but that doesn't seem like a real trail.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dsiderx2
Are there hikes in the moderate range for 3-5 miles w/o having to drive over to the state park? The only thing I could gleam from search was that I could hike up the coast ridge road, but that doesn't seem like a real trail.
Most need a short drive. If you don’t already have it, the All Trails app is very useful for finding trails that match your preferences (e.g. under a certain distance or time, loop vs out and back, specific difficulty levels, etc). The Pro version is well worth the cost (for me, at least).
dsiderx2 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:22 am

it seems that it's really hard to find award space at this property. any ideas on how to get a room with points?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
it seems that it's really hard to find award space at this property. any ideas on how to get a room with points?
persistent searching
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For standard room awards, search for at least three nights. It's not impossible to find availability far out (6+ months) but it's not easy either. If you have fixed dates that you want to try for then use a hotel room monitoring service to alert you when certain room types become available.

If you're willing to pay for premium suite awards then you'll have an easier time finding availability.

Availability is pretty volatile. E.g. I was looking at availability for last weekend. It was totally sold out for months, then about a week before check in all of the premium suite types opened up as well as premium suite award availability. Then the property bounced back and forth from being totally sold out to having all premium suites available, it seems like this was happening every other day.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:39 pm

the category for points redemption is 1 king bed and 1 king bed with fireplace, right?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:44 pm

the category for points redemption is 1 king bed and 1 king bed with fireplace, right?
In theory, yes. But you'll probably see situations where 1 King Bed with Fireplace is available for cash stays but not for points. If you notice that I'd suggest reaching out to your concierge / Hyatt corporate to see if they can "fix" it to make it available for redemption.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
In theory, yes. But you'll probably see situations where 1 King Bed with Fireplace is available for cash stays but not for points. If you notice that I'd suggest reaching out to your concierge / Hyatt corporate to see if they can "fix" it to make it available for redemption.
i think they did away with the “1 king bed” type and are just all “1 king bed with fireplace” for the lowest room type.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
How fare in advance are people making dinner reservations? And a reservation isn't necessary right, it just allows to select preferred times? I'm 2 months out and wondering if I need to start thinking about this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
How fare in advance are people making dinner reservations? And a reservation isn't necessary right, it just allows to select preferred times? I'm 2 months out and wondering if I need to start thinking about this.
I made reservations about 3 weeks out (mainly because I knew I'd otherwise likely forget) for my (sold out) dates. I had the pick of any slots I wanted. I'd say a few weeks in advance is plenty of time.
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I made a reservation for dinner on the first night of our stay but on the second/third nights, we just walked in and there was no issue whatsoever. Not sure how necessary reservations are but if you are set on a time, you might as well make them.
mpeterson78 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.