Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
They have 3 vegan entrees and one vegetarian for dinner, plus veggie burgers and other options at lunch. They only have 3 non-veg entrees. Hard to say the vegans get the short straw here. Also four vegan apps.

True, a little starch heavy on a couple of choices, but the pasta and polenta dishes were excellent as well as the others. And they will go off menu if you want a change of pace (I got pasta with octopus as a starter). I had the steak twice because I loved it, the salmon was great the other dinner.

My vegan wife was completely satisfied in three days and would have stayed longer. Perhaps execution was bad during others stays, but the food was tops when we were there with only a couple of minor exceptions like falafel bowl.

that being said, one five night stay would be fine, two...?

Last edited by beachfan; Nov 7, 2020 at 2:33 pm
Old Nov 7, 2020, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beachmiles
We are planning a Nothern California trip fall of 2021.
Honestly, I would not recommend visiting northern or central California during fire season. The climate has changed dramatically over the past five years, and it is now like Phoenix in July/August or Minneapolis in January/February - time to go somewhere else.
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
We are vegetarian/vegan and found ourselves repeating the same dishes on our 2nd day. If you are carnivores/omnivores, you'll still be faced with a small and unvarying menu and thus will find yourself eating the same things by Day 3.
Being tired of the menu by day two or three has nothing to do with vegan vs. carnivore. As beachfan noted, it's just an overall limited menu.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
I am trying to book its glamping site but couldn’t find any availability. Is it closed or just demand is too high?
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Being tired of the menu by day two or three has nothing to do with vegan vs. carnivore. As beachfan noted, it's just an overall limited menu.
The fact remains that the limited menu is even more limited for vegans or vegetarians. Omnivores have more choices as the entire menu is open to them.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Honestly, I would not recommend visiting northern or central California during fire season. The climate has changed dramatically over the past five years, and it is now like Phoenix in July/August or Minneapolis in January/February - time to go somewhere else.
Have a trip booked for late February-would you say the weather will be too cold then for hiking? Been to Northern California then but years ago before the climate has really changed and winter was still mild. I’ll be coming from the east coast so anything will likely be warmer but wouldn’t want to freeze either!
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Wear layers, wool socks and hiking boots, it (hard to believe) could rain. I live a few hours from there inland, its not going to be freezing cold. I grew up in Chicago so remember cold!! I dont think it will be too cold for you...perhaps in the morning pretty nippy, but not unbearable if you layer.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I'm going to push back on "avoid California during fire season." The Camp Fire in 2018 was on November 8. Two years later, it is November 8 again, and California is a pleasant dreamboat. You just can't predict. It's like planning a Caribbean trip during hurricane season. Could be good, could be bad.
anthro likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stvr
I'm going to push back on "avoid California during fire season." The Camp Fire in 2018 was on November 8. Two years later, it is November 8 again, and California is a pleasant dreamboat. You just can't predict. It's like planning a Caribbean trip during hurricane season. Could be good, could be bad.
The smoke significantly impacted the experience this year for pretty much all of September and half of October. Just read back through this thread. We were there end of September. I wouldn't book September (or October) again. I'd look at April/May instead.

And it's not the same as hurrican season in the Caribbean - travel insurance can protect against cancels due to hurricane; it won't help if Ventana is socked in with a 250 AQI but still open for business.

Originally Posted by Cometstar
Have a trip booked for late February-would you say the weather will be too cold then for hiking?
Not cold, but it could be rainy. That's typically the wettest time of year. Though it's totally hit or miss with the frequently dry winters now.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
I’ll keep an eye on the 14 day cancellation policy. Booked two 5 night stays, separated by 5 nights to head to Napa. We’ll see what happens, Covid , fires, unknown disasters.
As far as limited menu goes, beef, fish, chicken , veggie. Probably eat off site some. We need to have something to look forward to.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles
We need to have something to look forward to.
We're a critical crowd here. It's a pretty neat experience overall, notwithstanding the relatively limited menu.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by myperks
Seems like either they are truly booked up or they have stopped releasing standard rooms (or standard and premium suites) last minute. By releasing I was under the impression that current reservations are upgraded to a different room type and the standard ones come back into inventory. Haven’t been able to find availability in the past two weeks 48-72 hours before arrival whereas previously it was almost always available, including the weekends.
This weekend is available at 30k. People must have canceled when the weather turned colder and rainy.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nsx
This weekend is available at 30k. People must have canceled when the weather turned colder and rainy.
and standard rooms at 30k are available for single nighters...
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:59 pm

That must have been my reservation. Booked standard award for the weekend and got upgraded to suite with exlorist status. The staff says this resort is fully booked this week and next week. At least 12 tables full at sur house dinner today

Last edited by kouichi; Nov 12, 2020 at 7:06 pm
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Have only read the last page, so apologies if this has been covered.

I'm seeing 30k standard room with 3-day minimum about 10 months out. Would prefer 2 nights. At least based on history, is the minimum length requirement likely to stick as it gets closer?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I was able to book a 2 night Monday & Tuesday stay for 30,000 points in December last night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.