Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur Houseour award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
Coast Ridge Hike
Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

Foragers Hike
Redwood Hike
Sur House Social
S'mores
Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
If would be absurd to visit Big Sur without a car if you are capable of driving
Yes, I was just wondering if it was a case of driving someplace every day or if there was enough to do close by that you'd only drive for a couple of days. Sounds like there's not enough in the immediate area to be able to take a day off from driving.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Yes, I was just wondering if it was a case of driving someplace every day or if there was enough to do close by that you'd only drive for a couple of days. Sounds like there's not enough in the immediate area to be able to take a day off from driving.
You could stay on property for several days if you just wanted to relax, but there's really nothing within walking distance.

Note also that Carmel/Monterey are so far that IMO it sort of misses the point to be driving there from Ventana. Mostly I'd want a car to reach nearby parks/trailheads.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I've currently got a four night points stay booked in late-March. Any thoughts on whether four nights is too long here? Really just looking to relax and do some hiking. I'm considering moving the fourth night to somewhere in Monterey, but would appreciate the thoughts of those who've actually stayed here. Thanks.

-FlyerBeek
As with others, I'd agree four nights seems heavy primarily due to the menu. With two people you'll probably start repeating items on the menu on the third night. We did two nights and it seemed short. Next time we are doing three nights but planning to eat somewhere outside the property one night. We also did 2 nights in carmel valley which was a great add on.

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Did you end up using your car much while you were at Ventana for 3-4 days, or is there sufficient activities within walking distance?
We didn't use our car at all over two days, but we didn't do anything but sleep in and sit by the pool. For 3-4 day you'll definitely use your car. The vast majority of trailheads are driving distance. Also for 3-4 days you'll probably want to go to dinner outside the property once and there's a great brewpub down the road a couple miles for lunch or an afternoon break.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:08 pm

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...r-15908140.php

The collapsed road section looks to be about 16 miles south of the hotel.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Here's a link about the road closure:
https://bigsurkate.blog/2021/01/28/highway-1-is-gone/
ralphs likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum
Looks like the road closure will not affect the hotel reopening:
https://www.ventanabigsur.com/highway-one-closed
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
But it does affect it's desirability for SoCal folks. THe drive is world class, but looks like the road may not get repoened for months and months, both lanes gone. Not an awful detour to go back to Carmel and 101 South, but nothing to see on that road.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Can also fly into Monterey and drive down worst case.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
But it does affect it's desirability for SoCal folks...
Not just for hotel guests but its staff, contractors and suppliers who would normally drive north to reach the property. It's a bad situation. During the wild fires, we were hoping for the rainy season, and now the rain has brought mud slides and road closures...
estnet likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Not just for hotel guests but its staff, contractors and suppliers who would normally drive north to reach the property. It's a bad situation. During the wild fires, we were hoping for the rainy season, and now the rain has brought mud slides and road closures...
Good point. Some folks may now have added 2 hours to get to work if they are on the wrong side of the divide.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Hoping that by the mid month they will open some more of the road to the south so we can get some better hikes in. At least to the Partington Cove area would be great. That is just north of where they had the Dolan Fire closure. We were there for that.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
During the wild fires, we were hoping for the rainy season, and now the rain has brought mud slides and road closures...
This is exactly what was feared the rainy season would bring when the fires were burning. This is precisely the pattern, sadly.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Hoping that by the mid month they will open some more of the road to the south so we can get some better hikes in. At least to the Partington Cove area would be great. That is just north of where they had the Dolan Fire closure. We were there for that.
Have you seen the pictures???? I don't know what part of the road you're hoping they'll open but I don't think the major damage will be repaired any time soon (just my guess looking at the location of the washout )
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I think last time there was a Hwy 1 washout it took about a year to repair.
dw likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by beachfan
Good point. Some folks may now have added 2 hours to get to work if they are on the wrong side of the divide.
From speaking with staff, most live in the Monterey area. There's very little to the south before Cambria, and that's 175 miles.
hedoman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.