Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
I’m dropping a base room award booking for Aug 23-27, 2021. If anyone wants this and wants to coordinate when I cancel my reservation feel free go pm me. Not sure if it will go back into inventory, but happy to try.
Very generous of you to work to help someone out!

I've seen a few of these posts on here. Can you post back after the fact to tell us if it worked? I'm curious about whether these rooms do, in fact, come back into inventory in this situation.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Southdown13
You can check in early, order at the pool bar to eat there or take it to go. Our room was ready early, so we had the lunch delivered to our room. We didn’t order lunch from the pool bar on check out day, so I don’t know if they allow you to hang around and order food. They offer a Hiker’s Lunch (bag lunch) which we chose on our check out day and picked it up at the Social House. You have to order the Hiker’s Lunch the night before.
Lunch is included on day of check in and check out or is this something we can purchase?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by suitelucia
Lunch is included on day of check in and check out or is this something we can purchase?
Included. Nevertheless I recommend skipping them and saving our calories for the far superior dinner and breakfast options.
Soccerjoshj07 and WasKnown like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coleslaw

If they’re really adamant about not paying their bar staff an “all in” wage, then just add the 18% gratuity by default as many other places do.
I just noticed that the website does say they add an automatic gratuity on non-included items (like alcoholic beverages):

Additional a la carte beverages and services will be assessed a 22% gratuity that will be added to your guest folio.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...QaAvQ7EALw_wcB
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:27 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
I’m dropping a base room award booking for Aug 23-27, 2021. If anyone wants this and wants to coordinate when I cancel my reservation feel free go pm me. Not sure if it will go back into inventory, but happy to try.
Very nice of you. Will be curious if it works out. I tried to do the same last year and it did not go back into inventory for the person that wanted it.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just noticed that the website does say they add an automatic gratuity on non-included items (like alcoholic beverages):

IMO a mandatory 22% gratuity is a lot.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO a mandatory 22% gratuity is a lot.
Yes, especially if you order an expensive (already marked up) bottle of wine, etc. Is it really right to pay $100+ for service for a $500 bottle vs a $100 bottle? Is there something so special abut pouring the expensive stuff? (not just here something I've always felt was an anomaly)
Old Jul 5, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
In real life, you would not tip the same percent on a bottle of wine as you would for food. No professional server would expect such a tip. If there was ever a place to bring your own wine, this is it. And be happy with the $50 corkage fee. Best bargain in the restaurant.

The server circling the suggested tip or whatever, should be dismissed.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by hedoman
In real life, you would not tip the same percent on a bottle of wine as you would for food. No professional server would expect such a tip. If there was ever a place to bring your own wine, this is it. And be happy with the $50 corkage fee. Best bargain in the restaurant.

The server circling the suggested tip or whatever, should be dismissed.
Yes, that was my point about them adding a mandatory 22% - and if they're doing this does the waiter who circled the tip get both? (written tip + 22%)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 5:12 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
22% is too high. Is it a „suggestion“ and can you lower it?

I generally hate it when tips are automatically added, however understand it in touristic regions such as Miami Beach, where tourists probably do not know the custom in the US and would leave w/o tipping. But Ventana… I doubt there are that many foreigners staying.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
22% is not suggestion, it's policy. Went to a very basic diner in Nevada last week. Suggested tip......20% 30% 40%, plus a surcharge of 3% for credit card charge. Strange? The server probably thought my tip was strange.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:42 am

I am going to be there next week and had a question regarding dress code at the sur house during breakfast and dinner. anyone can shed some light on this so I know what to pack.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by mileagenovice
I am going to be there next week and had a question regarding dress code at the sur house during breakfast and dinner. anyone can shed some light on this so I know what to pack.
It’s very casual. My wife and I dressed up somewhat and we were way overdressed the first night. Most people wearing jeans and a nice top top
Old Jul 6, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by nsx
Included. Nevertheless I recommend skipping them and saving our calories for the far superior dinner and breakfast options.
In my case, the lunch is not excluded both check-in and check-out date. I received the email saying only lunch box is available for purchase.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:39 am

I would have to check the bill again but I do not remember the 22% extra listed on my bill at check out after buying a bottle of wine and having a few drinks at the dinners (and tipping on the dinner bill).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.