Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Just checked in for a four night stay here on a combo of a cat 1-7 award and points. Place is fully booked so no upgrade and seems like the most base level room. Still a great space, and I didn't necessarily expect anything above and beyond. Room wasn't ready until around 4:30, but was invited to have lunch and walk around. Did get recognition as globalist but no benefits that I've seen, so far.

Staff here have been great, and I especially appreciate inclusive tips actually being inclusive (no hands out from valet or bell man or anything).

We didn't book anything until a couple of weeks out, and the staff were very responsive. But, we aren't looking to do anything beyond some of the fitness classes and then dinner reservations.

There was an unbelievably obnoxious guy in the Social House when we were checking in who was whining about the upgrade that he got and demanding a further upgrade at a property that has limited rooms and is totally sold out. Don't be that guy! This place is a tremendous value, and there's absolutely no reason to be obnoxious to the staff here and make them hate Hyatt elites.

Will report back after the stay and happy to dig into anything on property if anyone has any Qs. Headed up to Carmel Valley Ranch after this and haven't heard too much about how things are since reopening.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:52 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Have you noticed if the hotel is understaffed in any way?
We were there last week and there appeared to be no shortage of staff - you were frequently dodging maintenance and housekeeping on the paths around the property. There were several new servers being trained in the restaurant, Sur House, while we were there.
Soccerjoshj07 and WasKnown like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
After a rather disappointing stay (2 years ago), we thought we would give Ventana another try. We booked over 6 months ago for a September 2021 stay. Already things are off to bad start.

When staying at non-city resorts, we are usually the type of people to pre-book activities, spa treatments, and meals well in advance. In fact, at many of the resorts we stayed at earlier this year (e.g., Blackberry Farm, Montage Palmetto Bluff) this was strongly recommended.

I reached out to the Ventana concierge 4 months ago to pre-book dinner, activities, and spa. While they were able to confirm our dinner time slots within a week of my first reaching out, it took nearly 2 months for them to confirm our spa appointments, and they have yet to confirm any of our activities. For each email I sent the concierge, I have to send a reminder email to get a follow up, and even then the wait is 1-2 weeks for a reply. I've tried calling but usually no one picks up except for the reservationist. What's most frustrating is that each time I get an email response, it's of the "we'll look into" variety (only to get ghosted on again).

Hopefully, the experience on-site is better, but I'm a little worried it be a disappointing experience like our last. While the setting is beautiful, the service is definitely more that of a 4 start hotel than a hotel charging $2,000+/night.

(We are already planning our trips for Summer / Fall 2022 and every other hotel of this price point that we will be staying at has been super responsive.)
I agree that their “leisure concierges” haven’t been super helpful. I have a stay coming up at the end of August and I asked a question about spa services and they sent me back a templated email a few days later with a phone number for the spa (I guess I’ll just call the spa directly but aren’t they supposed to help with booking?).

On another note, I was originally staying in a standard fireplace room for a couple nights and was quoted an upgrade to a Forest Shower suite for $300/night and I took it. Does anyone have insight into the two different rooms and if the $300/night upgrade is worth it?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:18 pm

My parents checked in earlier today for their guest of honor stay and were upgraded to the villa, I think it helped that the person who made the guest of honor reservation noted it was for their anniversary and asked if they could get upgraded. So far they have really enjoyed it, too bad the sunsets are not visible currently.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BasedChe
My parents checked in earlier today for their guest of honor stay and were upgraded to the villa, I think it helped that the person who made the guest of honor reservation noted it was for their anniversary and asked if they could get upgraded. So far they have really enjoyed it, too bad the sunsets are not visible currently.
Getting upgraded to the villa on a GOH stay is pretty good. I’ve only ever gotten a Forest Shower Suite when staying on points. Even when it’s been a special occasion.
rogo likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BasedChe
So far they have really enjoyed it, too bad the sunsets are not visible currently.
I would be grateful for any summer/fall weather here that does not involve choking wildfire smoke.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cmag211

On another note, I was originally staying in a standard fireplace room for a couple nights and was quoted an upgrade to a Forest Shower suite for $300/night and I took it. Does anyone have insight into the two different rooms and if the $300/night upgrade is worth it?
I personally wouldn’t pay the $300 extra for a Forest Shower Suite. Maybe for a Hot Tub Suite… since I’d actually use the hot tub. But the shower is a bit of a gimmick.

Although if you’re paying a cash rate then it’s only a modest increase (in percentage terms)…
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I personally wouldn’t pay the $300 extra for a Forest Shower Suite. Maybe for a Hot Tub Suite… since I’d actually use the hot tub. But the shower is a bit of a gimmick.

Although if you’re paying a cash rate then it’s only a modest increase (in percentage terms)…
Thanks! I was thinking the bigger room and deck might be worth it, but it sounds like I will probably go back to my original room (if possible) and hope for an upgrade. The fireplace room looks great, so I wouldn’t fret if it was the only thing available at check in.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Cmag211
Thanks! I was thinking the bigger room and deck might be worth it, but it sounds like I will probably go back to my original room (if possible) and hope for an upgrade. The fireplace room looks great, so I wouldn’t fret if it was the only thing available at check in.
It also depends how much time you’re planning on staying in the room. I’m usually out and about all day and only in the room in the mornings and evenings. The larger deck is nice, and I think all of the shower suite rooms are “top floor” (with hot tubs on the bottom floor) so you do get better views and no noise from a room above you. To me that’s not worth $300. But if you’re going to be spending a lot of time in the room then maybe it is worth it to you.
Cmag211 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:10 am
Community Director Emerita

Anthony Duggan is now the GM at Ventana. I expect him to do a superb job. He has had an excellent career, perhaps first known to FTers when he was GM at the St Regis in San Francisco. I met him when he was GM at Amangiri in Utah. He then went to Miraval in Texas and now to Ventana.

https://www.hotel-online.com/press_r...neral-manager/
nsx, rogo and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Well that is great news!
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Question about adding 3rd adult

I have an upcoming GoH reservation for my senior relatives, currently booked into Big Sur suites. Does anyone know if I can add a 3rd adult into my reservation?

I remember months ago I got a yes but prepare your own rolling bed from the hotel and a $250 per day surcharge for the inclusive meals. A few weeks ago I called to confirm again and now they said the only way to accommodate a 3rd adult is to upgrade to a Villa which is $750 per night! Anyone has experience on adding another adult in this property please share.

Last edited by zoneflyer; Jul 27, 2021 at 1:50 pm
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:05 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Anthony Duggan is now the GM at Ventana. I expect him to do a superb job. He has had an excellent career, perhaps first known to FTers when he was GM at the St Regis in San Francisco. I met him when he was GM at Amangiri in Utah. He then went to Miraval in Texas and now to Ventana.

https://www.hotel-online.com/press_r...neral-manager/
Third GM in two years ... that seems like a lot of turnover.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by skj
some would argue this hotel is the flagship Hyatt, there are high expectations.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by skj
It's a weird place to live. I love this property and love visiting the area.

You could not pay me to live in or near Big Sur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.