FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:47 pm
Cmag211

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
After a rather disappointing stay (2 years ago), we thought we would give Ventana another try. We booked over 6 months ago for a September 2021 stay. Already things are off to bad start.

When staying at non-city resorts, we are usually the type of people to pre-book activities, spa treatments, and meals well in advance. In fact, at many of the resorts we stayed at earlier this year (e.g., Blackberry Farm, Montage Palmetto Bluff) this was strongly recommended.

I reached out to the Ventana concierge 4 months ago to pre-book dinner, activities, and spa. While they were able to confirm our dinner time slots within a week of my first reaching out, it took nearly 2 months for them to confirm our spa appointments, and they have yet to confirm any of our activities. For each email I sent the concierge, I have to send a reminder email to get a follow up, and even then the wait is 1-2 weeks for a reply. I've tried calling but usually no one picks up except for the reservationist. What's most frustrating is that each time I get an email response, it's of the "we'll look into" variety (only to get ghosted on again).

Hopefully, the experience on-site is better, but I'm a little worried it be a disappointing experience like our last. While the setting is beautiful, the service is definitely more that of a 4 start hotel than a hotel charging $2,000+/night.

(We are already planning our trips for Summer / Fall 2022 and every other hotel of this price point that we will be staying at has been super responsive.)
I agree that their “leisure concierges” haven’t been super helpful. I have a stay coming up at the end of August and I asked a question about spa services and they sent me back a templated email a few days later with a phone number for the spa (I guess I’ll just call the spa directly but aren’t they supposed to help with booking?).

On another note, I was originally staying in a standard fireplace room for a couple nights and was quoted an upgrade to a Forest Shower suite for $300/night and I took it. Does anyone have insight into the two different rooms and if the $300/night upgrade is worth it?