Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:43 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Thanks, in early September so hopefully it wont be too hard to get reservations. And praying the wildfires stay away this time (our trip(s) last year got cancelled due to those).
If you're a month or so away from your stay, I don't think you need to worry about reservations yet. I just checked and we made our reservations 12 days before our stay in mid-July. We requested 7:30 for dinner as we wanted to watch the sunset and got it 2 of the 3 nights. The 3rd night our reservation was at 7:45 ... not a significant change.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
If you're a month or so away from your stay, I don't think you need to worry about reservations yet. I just checked and we made our reservations 12 days before our stay in mid-July. We requested 7:30 for dinner as we wanted to watch the sunset and got it 2 of the 3 nights. The 3rd night our reservation was at 7:45 ... not a significant change.
And don't pin your hopes on getting great sunsets... both times I've been there there's been thick blankets of fog in the morning and the evenings.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
And don't pin your hopes on getting great sunsets... both times I've been there there's been thick blankets of fog in the morning and the evenings.
Based on what I recall from visiting the area, winter is actually a more reliable time for clear skies in Big Sur. Booked a birthday long weekend at the end of January, and now I'm just shivering with antici-

PATION!

(No, really, I'm thinking about it at least once a day ).
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
September/October the odds are very good for no fog, but unfortunately also the worst months for wildfires.

Late January would be very wet under normal weather patterns; the last two years have been historically dry.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by martzipan
Based on what I recall from visiting the area, winter is actually a more reliable time for clear skies in Big Sur. Booked a birthday long weekend at the end of January, and now I'm just shivering with antici-

PATION!

(No, really, I'm thinking about it at least once a day ).
This is correct - if you want good weather in Big Sur (or anywhere coastal in NorCal for that matter), come in the fall (when it can be quite warm actually) or in the winter. You trade potential rain (which is pretty much nonexistent at this point anyway, unfortunately) for no fog, or come in the fall, when coastal temps can be in the high 70s depending on where you are.

There's no smoke on the coast right now, and there will only be smoke this far south when a fire is actually burning nearby (the current Dixie Fire is quite far away & wind patterns don't really bring smoke down this way from northern fires).
rogo likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kthpence
there will only be smoke this far south when a fire is actually burning nearby (the current Dixie Fire is quite far away & wind patterns don't really bring smoke down this way from northern fires).
Actually, the worst fires occur when the winds blow from the northeast, the so-called "Diablo winds." When they're blowing, they'll fill the bay and central coast with smoke from fires to the north.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Contact [email protected]

Carlos and Roque helped us make reservations about a month out
Thanks so much, I am about 3 weeks out and emailed them. I was able to get 7 or 715 pm for all of my nights.

Thank you!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Thanks so much, I am about 3 weeks out and emailed them. I was able to get 7 or 715 pm for all of my nights.

Thank you!
Same, 5 weeks out and got all dinner times I wanted. Just to confirm - we don't need reservations for breakfast or lunch right?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:52 pm
skj

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Same, 5 weeks out and got all dinner times I wanted. Just to confirm - we don't need reservations for breakfast or lunch right?
No reservations needed (or taken) for breakfast or lunch. We always ate lunch by the pool.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:12 pm

Just saw that Big Sur Smokehouse is reopening tomorrow “welcoming both guests and locals alike”.

Anyone there or have any insight if this could be included in the all-inclusive plan for lunch?

Edit: I checked their Instagram page and they replied to an inquiry saying it was in fact included!
Old Aug 11, 2021, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cmag211
Just saw that Big Sur Smokehouse is reopening tomorrow “welcoming both guests and locals alike”.

Anyone there or have any insight if this could be included in the all-inclusive plan for lunch?

Edit: I checked their Instagram page and they replied to an inquiry saying it was in fact included!
Is the Big Sur Smokehouse part of Ventana? I dont see it listed on their website anywhere.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Is the Big Sur Smokehouse part of Ventana? I dont see it listed on their website anywhere.
Odd that it’s not on their site, but yes, it is part of Ventana.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:44 am

Are they still providing reusable aluminum water bottles to guests? Trying to figure out if I bring my own.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:16 am
skj

Originally Posted by rsh145
Are they still providing reusable aluminum water bottles to guests? Trying to figure out if I bring my own.
They were providing the bottles a month ago.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsh145
They are, but they’re not very big (maybe 500ml) and they aren’t vacuum insulated so liquids won’t stay cold (or hot) for very long.

If you’re used to using a Hydroflask type bottle then I’d suggest bringing your own and taking the Ventana one as a souvenir.
Skink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.